Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 13, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #26,296 of 63,958
Ah, so basically "America Line" is just a generic name for whoever they feel like using that day (a crapshoot in other words). Good to know!

fwiw I picked up a little quadcopter on GearBest w/ America Line and got a Fedex smartpost number. Said label created for a good week and a half, but now it shows up in LA today with delivery on Friday. Not bad for 99 cents.

Dec 13, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #26,297 of 63,958
fwiw I picked up a little quadcopter on GearBest w/ America Line and got a Fedex smartpost number. Said label created for a good week and a half, but now it shows up in LA today with delivery on Friday. Not bad for 99 cents.

Wow, never had any Gearbest stuff shipped via FedEx!

BTW, take a look at this:https://www.gearbest.com/store/store_235.html

Looks like Gearbest is going to start modeling themselves like Aliexpress and Amazon, where any 3rd party seller can sell on Gearbest. Not sure if I like that...

And to keep this on topic, the KZ EDR2 was just on sale for $2.99 with Gearbest coupon. That's a ridiculous price for a great IEM (one of my favorite daily driver IEMs).

Dec 13, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #26,298 of 63,958
I've ordered a half dozen items in the last month from Gearbest, the most expensive being a pair of ZS6, and have used the America Line choice each time because it was only a choice between free, that or a true overnight style method like FedEx or DHL with a cost over $20. And as someone mentioned two of those resolved into FedEx once in the US but not a arrive in 3 days timing as if it was FedEx the whole way. Total time on the order of 10 days. Two others resolved into USPS priority / e-packet service, again with about 10 days for delivery. But the last 3 or 4 items, shipping limbo. The best I can get is inside China info and that's through 17track.net or the like. Worst part, supposedly the packages left China on a plane before 11/30 but not a trace of them in the US. Hence my question here about the shipping since I figured, especially with the great deals offered, that people were buying from Gearbest.

Dec 13, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #26,299 of 63,958
Just received my ZS6 from GB, so far so good, like it a lots. Do some simple freq sweep through and it able to generate sound even as low as 10Hz then uptill ~13kHz (my old ears can't hear a thing after) LOL. And yes the "S" effect do obviously heard but I do recommend whoever owned this unit please take note to disable all your EQ setting when using this earbuds as most of the EQ profile (that ppls normally selected for their previous headphone) mostly "V" format to boost those old headphone which don't have specific BA for the high pitch and good DD for bass as after I turn off the EQ the "S" effect seem not too obvious or I can said just sufficient to get all the sound clarity without the obvious "S" effect. ZS6 really perform very good in the bass region even with a flat EQ.

Overall I'm very satisfy with the ZS6 and bang for buck for just USD19.99 from GB... :)

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #26,300 of 63,958
It's a scary thought, but I think I like the sound of my ZS5s more than my HD 6XX. Sound signature is just so much more energetic, and the soundstage is a bit larger with imaging being just as good. And then add in the crazy instrumental separation and it's over. Midrange comes through nicely without giving up bass or treble, wheras my HD 6XX has good midrange and nothing else.

Anyone know open cans similar to the ZS5 v1s?

Dec 14, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #26,301 of 63,958
It's a scary thought, but I think I like the sound of my ZS5s more than my HD 6XX. Sound signature is just so much more energetic, and the soundstage is a bit larger with imaging being just as good. And then add in the crazy instrumental separation and it's over. Midrange comes through nicely without giving up bass or treble, wheras my HD 6XX has good midrange and nothing else.

Yes, my AKG K501's, but they do not have as good of low end extension as the ZS5. Soundstage, midrange, extension and sense of space and air are far better on the AKG's, although the ZS5 does well for an iem... Hard to beat a good pair of open cans for those attributes...

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #26,302 of 63,958

Not open, but the ATH-M50 has the energetic treble and a somewhat similar punch in the low end. Not as airy though, but good separation and resolution. I don't go as far as stating I like the ZS5's sound over the AT's, but both have been my main drivers the past few months and they complement each other nicely. At least I don't get the feeling of downgrading when I go from the full-sized-closed-classical-studio-cans-of-joy to the cheapo-chifi-glue-filled-three-drivers-kind-a-workin-and-the-other-serving-as-xmas-decoration.

Dec 14, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #26,303 of 63,958
M50s have the mids sucked way out last time I tried them. Didn't like the sound, and especially not the comfort. I have my AKG K553s for closed cans anyway, which are just light on bass.

It's always difficult to compare IEMs and headphones. Such similar use cases but totally different execution.

Dec 14, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #26,304 of 63,958
On the subject of Gearbest shipping, how do folks feel about "America Line (SF)" which seems to be their defacto small package shipping method. I loved the USPS backed e-packet shipping service and use it with AliExpress purchases when possible. Used it when Gearbest offered it too. But lately its just been this America Line. Which I don't care for at all. Takes longer, never seems to have tracking info and even 3rd party tracking sites often only have inside China tracking with nothing after arriving on US soil.

Are others having issues with this shipping method? What do you use instead? I've gotten to the point that although I like the service, in general, that I get from Gearbest I'm paying a few bucks more to order from AliExpress just so I can get e-packet shipping.

I find that with GearBest, Ebay (China purchases), Aliexpress and most tracking links offered by sellers is more then often screwed up.
So, I use "AfterShip" all you have to do is copy/paste or type in your tracking # and they'll search like 400+ couriers.
Anyway here's a link: https://www.aftership.com/couriers

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #26,306 of 63,958
i don't have ZS5s to compare, but i love my grado sr60 which are open back, and not terribly expensive either. only roll off around 35 & below.
they are not bass cans by any extent of the imagination (go get a pair of beats) but you'll be amazed at what they're actually capable of being fully open, and they do it well.
graphCompare.png

Dec 14, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #26,307 of 63,958
I wish KZ would invest more time on the Bluetooth module... a BT wire for the ZS3\5\6 which can hold 8 hours of music + good connectivity and sound quality would be a dream come true! :-D

if run time is the only issue, you could probably swap out the cell/battery for a higher capacity one. but from what i've read on it so far, there's a pretty noticeable lag (so really only good for calls & music)

someone posted a link to a different brand that worked with kz. probably a handful of pages back.

Dec 14, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #26,308 of 63,958
And now for another appreciation of KZ's greatness...
IMG_20171207_234722.jpg
I built myself an amp to use almost exclusively with my ATH-M50.

But the other day I decided to test some IEMs. Boy, do they sound differently when properly amped...

Concerning the KZs amped via this modified RA1 clone with different caps, connected to my X3II (dock line out):
- ZS5 (v1): scales really well. The awesomeness just gets better;
- ZS3: wow! I really didn't care much about these until I started using different wide-bore XL silicone tips, silver cable and a better DAP/AMP. They opened their sound, lots of bass, good highs, good mids, good soundstage, great IEM! I love them now (that is, until I connect them to my smartphone again...).
- ED9: For 15 minutes they are ok. From then on they start to get tiring with their piercing highs. But the bass gets really boosted with this amp.
- ATE: I love the ATE in every way. For me, the best KZ ever regarding quality/price/design/comfort. Amped, they get somewhat congested with more dynamic passages, but maintain the lush mids, the sweet sweet female voices, the good grip on the bass. Use with jazz, classical, etc.
- ZSE: crap when amped... they sound tinny and hollow... and I really like them otherwise.
- ZST: very good. Sounds about the same when unamped, maybe a little bit bassier, but with the same resolution and wide soundstage. A great combo with this amp.
- EDSE: not much diff.
- ED12: still the worst piece of %$#%$ KZ ever made. IMHO!
- IE80: the treble gets really weird. Boosted in all the wrong places. (directly through my X3II or S5, or Topping NX2, they are one of the best KZs. They didn't get along with this amp)
- EDR2: the bass keeps falling short. These would be great IEMs if they had just a little bit of subbass...
- HDS1: meh...
- ATR: dullness amplified

Notice that this appreciation is done exclusively with my DIY headphone amplifier.

Dec 14, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #26,309 of 63,958

Don't forget the venerable KSC75. Great sound, space and separation for about $15. They've been around forever, but there's good reason for that.

Dec 14, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #26,310 of 63,958
i don't have ZS5s to compare, but i love my grado sr60 which are open back, and not terribly expensive either. only roll off around 35 & below.
they are not bass cans by any extent of the imagination (go get a pair of beats) but you'll be amazed at what they're actually capable of being fully open, and they do it well.

LMAO I love this garbage attitude. "Pffft if you like bass get BEATS."

Because, obviously, TRUE audiophiles like their music to sound like it's coming out of an answering machine. All us chumps who like a full frequency range are just peasants, right?

I'll take this for an open can, thanks.

5600594.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back