Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 7, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #22,997 of 63,917
So ZS6 is now available locally at a few stores in my area, should I get the ZS6 (which seems cooler, IMO. Also, I like the color choices more than the ZS5) or should I settle for the cheaper ZS5?

Get the ZS6.
My modded ZS5 v1 are close to the ZS6 so the ZS5 are also great value earphones, but vocals sound more human and high quality on the ZS6, highs are also less harsh on the ZS6.

You need a good source for both.

Oct 7, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #22,998 of 63,917
Will painting it with Plasti Dip or similar rubberized paint affect the sound as well?

It might. But nobody knows for sure until he/she has tried it. Which is why I suggested to not sand in case you do a irreversible modification and regret it.
I haven't done it myself but that's on the horizon when I have some spare time over a weekend or something as there is more than 1 hotspot on the ears when I wear the ZS5 for extended periods of over an hour.

Oct 7, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #22,999 of 63,917
Cheers to everyone for sharing their thoughts and frequency response graphs. I took a break from chasing the next IEM a few years ago so it's quite incredible to witness how this Chi-fi scene has taken off. Last I actively read the forums there was absolutely 0 mention of Asian earphones outside of Japanese HIFI brands. 4 freakin' drivers in a metal shell with removable cable and a decent unboxing experience for a mere $45 bucks!? HOLY CRAP! Talk about diminishing returns..

On topic: I'm currently torn between the Pioneer CH9T (9.7mm DD) or this new KZ ZS6 -- anyone have thoughts on these? Or should I just stick to my Westone UM3X / Earsonics SM3 and save my money? I find vocals to be slightly veiled on my IEMs, as well as lacking the characteristic lower-end grunt or ''oomph" and musicality of dynamic driven 'phones.

MC

Oct 7, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #23,000 of 63,917
The thing I am asking is the fr response of zs6 in this thread; is it the fr after correcting the raw fr for the lack of a ear canal or is it the raw fr directly out of the iems?
Secondly what is an ideal raw fr graph that would sound like a true reference recording.

This should help :) Harman target response with that 4dB bass boost is pretty accurate for iems.
Also I think hakuzens graphs are uncompensated.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #23,001 of 63,917
@Viber I saw in your profile that you are rocking the Denon D2000, how would you compare (if possible) the amount of treble on them with the ZS6s?

Oct 7, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #23,002 of 63,917
@Viber I saw in your profile that you are rocking the Denon D2000, how would you compare (if possible) the amount of treble on them with the ZS6s?

D2000 has a bit more treble imo, many times i prefer listening to them with a -1.7db in the 8K-16K range.
They are kinda similar in sound because they both share a bassy yet bright sound (of course the D2000 sound is bigger and better :) )

Oct 7, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #23,004 of 63,917
I bought the JVC Spiral Dot tips for my KZ ZS5 and they are WAY more comfortable now, and the seal is much better as well, best tips I've ever tried. Also, I tried spin fits but they didn't seal quite as well and really were not that comfortable as the Spiral Dots. Medium spiral dot worked for me when I was using Medium KZ tips.
Hi where did u get it? Amazon?

Oct 7, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #23,005 of 63,917
Considerations about ES3 measurements.
1- higher sub-bass of right channel in purples was due to improper dynamic driver vent hole; too much glue in the hole, it was closed.
2- higher levels at 2-3kHz in purples were due to lack of foam (missing or wrong placed) in the nozzle, around the BA.
Thanks to @vector84 !!

These (ES3) and ZST are very finicky about these details (vent hole and foam in the nozzle), like @vector84 explained. Be very careful if you try to modify them.

Oct 7, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #23,006 of 63,917
D2000 has a bit more treble imo, many times i prefer listening to them with a -1.7db in the 8K-16K range.
They are kinda similar in sound because they both share a bassy yet bright sound (of course the D2000 sound is bigger and better :) )

That sound just wonderful! I have the Fostex TH-610 and absolutely love their treble-extension.
Makes me feel a bit more confident when it comes to my ZS6-order :)

Oct 7, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #23,010 of 63,917
Cheers to everyone for sharing their thoughts and frequency response graphs. I took a break from chasing the next IEM a few years ago so it's quite incredible to witness how this Chi-fi scene has taken off. Last I actively read the forums there was absolutely 0 mention of Asian earphones outside of Japanese HIFI brands. 4 freakin' drivers in a metal shell with removable cable and a decent unboxing experience for a mere $45 bucks!? HOLY CRAP! Talk about diminishing returns..

On topic: I'm currently torn between the Pioneer CH9T (9.7mm DD) or this new KZ ZS6 -- anyone have thoughts on these? Or should I just stick to my Westone UM3X / Earsonics SM3 and save my money? I find vocals to be slightly veiled on my IEMs, as well as lacking the characteristic lower-end grunt or ''oomph" and musicality of dynamic driven 'phones.

MC
You have two 500$ IEMs and are asking whether you should save your money when it comes to Chifi? Well, you're not getting anything sounding closer to what was intended by the artists with IEMs other than what you have. You can go closer only with headphones and above that - full sized speakers (or buying a ticket). Chifi IEM sound signatures are way more unrefined and messy, (KZ ZST vs. Westone UM3X vs. Earsonics SM3v2. Other KZ models aren't less messy) not to mention QC problems. But you'll still probably enjoy the sound, human hearing is not that precise. Not to mention the satisfaction that new, interesting stuff brings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Kae0
Back