Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 6, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #22,966 of 63,939
Ah, Midnite. Good stuff. Seen him a few times!

Here's what I do. Should be pretty good on your earholes for testing your ZS6's.

Full album here:

Pretty good and does sound really sweet on these ZS6's:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, more recent Reggae and I have a lot of that as well but I'm a little more oldskool in my Reggae taste but "It's All Goode" Irie:wink:

KZ ZS6 Gold.JPG

This is one of my all time faves:beerchug:

Oct 6, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #22,967 of 63,939
Pretty good and does sound really sweet on these ZS6's:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, more recent Reggae and I have a lot of that as well but I'm a little more oldskool in my Reggae taste but "It's All Goode" Irie:wink:

This is one of my all time faves:beerchug:

I started out yesterday with a King Tubby Revolutionaries Dub collection, but it wanted something that had a little more fidelity going for it to really hear what was up. A bit of JBB and our own album did the trick.

I love old Studio 1 era stuff...But I generally love it all in different ways, sort of like having kids. :wink:

Oct 6, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #22,968 of 63,939
I finally had time to open my ES3, have you noticed this piece of tuning foam on the side of the BA? Was it there on zst?
Just to clarify, that foam on the table is from the right earpiece and on the photo is actually the left earpiece with that foam still in.

IMG_20171006_221820_hdr.jpg

Oct 6, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #22,969 of 63,939
I finally had time to open my ES3, have you noticed this piece of tuning foam on the side of the BA? Was it there on zst?
Just to clarify, that foam on the table is from the right earpiece and on the photo is actually the left earpiece with that foam still in.

That's the tuning foam I've commented on a few times - it's like they took the Viber mod and turned it into its own IEM :smirk:

The seating depth of it effects tuning quite a bit in the 3-5kHz range roughly.

Oct 6, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #22,970 of 63,939
That's the tuning foam I've commented on a few times - it's like they took the Viber mod and turned it into its own IEM :smirk:

The seating depth of it effects tuning quite a bit in the 3-5kHz range roughly.

Yeah, i saw that, so that means the foam wasn´t in ZST?

Oct 6, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #22,972 of 63,939
Green Zs6 arrived today - same sound signature as the black one from Gearbest. So appears to be the same lot and sound signature from both Amazon and Gearbest.

Oct 6, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #22,973 of 63,939
I bought the JVC Spiral Dot tips for my KZ ZS5 and they are WAY more comfortable now, and the seal is much better as well, best tips I've ever tried. Also, I tried spin fits but they didn't seal quite as well and really were not that comfortable as the Spiral Dots. Medium spiral dot worked for me when I was using Medium KZ tips.

Oct 6, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #22,974 of 63,939
I bought the JVC Spiral Dot tips for my KZ ZS5 and they are WAY more comfortable now, and the seal is much better as well, best tips I've ever tried. Also, I tried spin fits but they didn't seal quite as well and really were not that comfortable as the Spiral Dots. Medium spiral dot worked for me when I was using Medium KZ tips.

Wow, just goes to show how different our ears can be. I tried the spiral dots and while both comfortable and a good fit, they made an already bright headphone even more so and I ruled them out quickly for use on the Zs5 and 6. I found the Comply foam 400 Series isolation tips the best for me.

Oct 6, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #22,976 of 63,939

yep same here spiral dots best for these.

Oct 6, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #22,977 of 63,939
ZS6 cables.

1- stock cable, no mic. DC resistance: 0.70Ω(left), 0.60Ω(right), 0.39Ω(ground, both).
2- silver plated copper cable for ZST, with metallic straight jack. DC resistance: 0.45Ω. sub-bass venting hole was closed with tape for this second measurement (thanks, @HiFiChris !)

ZS6_FR_cables.png

the only noticeable difference is the extra sub-bass (~+1.7dB @ 20Hz) when covering the vent hole.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #22,978 of 63,939
So I'm only a few songs in on the OFC cable (for my ZS5 v1) but that spike in energy at 18-20 kHz region (where my hearing is obnoxiously sensitive) is almost excruciatingly fatiguing for me.

Mind you I didn't expect much other than a bit of a level shift perhaps, maybe the very slightest touch of coloration, as I tend pretty strongly towards the analytical side of cables shouldn't matter much unless you've done something well outside of accepted standards.

Bear in mind however that my hearing bias is highly abnormal, so my experiences with regards to HF should probably be largely ignored or at least taken with a grain of salt. My hearing has obviously degraded in the intervening 20+ years, but when I was tested in my youth, my pain threshold at 20kHz was around 90 dB SPL, so I kid you not when I say obnoxiously sensitive (and the bulk of my hearing response is rather average at best, so it stands out that much more in my perception).

I shall try to persist and let brain burn in do its magic, but it's rough going so far... color my expectations shattered. :shrug:

Oct 6, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #22,979 of 63,939
+1 for the foams.

I listen to a lot of metal and hip-hop, and believe me those genres are lightning rods for unpleasant treble. Foamed up the 6 (and I assume the ZS5) sound much better.

Ha! It's probably not as extreme as early Animal Collective (Spirit They're gone, Spirit They've Vanished) or Deeroof. That will make any headphone/speaker sound sibilant, because it intentionally is. Sometimes, I wonder if I truly enjoy this type of music or if I am a masochist.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #22,980 of 63,939
Time for ska

Users who are viewing this thread

Back