Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 28, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #19,306 of 63,884
I just received my ZS3 today and I'm totally disappointed with the sound (with stock silicone tips) after having good experience with both good sounding ZST and ZS5 paired with the Comply T400 tips...I'm surprised with some that claimed the bass didn't bleed into the mids...they're bleeding all over...and where's the highs??? All i hear is wooly bass without any definition. After doing the Slater mod (removing the red and black foam filter), the highs and mids improved a tiny bit but the bass is still over powering everything else in the frequency spectrum. ZS3 is definitely not my definition of a good sounding IEM at whatever cost, even at $5. ZS3 is definitely a basshead's dream come true but it's a total nightmare for me. It's a real pity though because the ZS3 doesn't look like a cheap IEM but it sure sounds cheap. I wish those who claim that it sounds better than the ZST and ZS5 good luck...I'm getting really dizzy listening to it :dizzy_face: I wouldn't even dare to give it to my wife or she'll give me that stare and stop making dinner for a month :angry:
i had the same initial reaction but upgraded my rating after switiching to complys, which markedly tamed that big bass--the zs3 is very, very tip-and-fit dependent, but once you get it right its low end actually has equivalent control to the zs5. they still don't have the balance or high end detail of the zst or zs5, but some well-respected folks around here prefer the zs3 tuning.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #19,307 of 63,884
Yeah, I don't want to risk buying these not-so-universal $8 2-pins connector and hope for a matching fit, so I decided to open up the connector from stock cable.

YHGJJt6.jpg

These 2 pins connector is pretty much reusable if you do it correctly. The connector are molded directly to the cable like the 3.5mm jack, but unlike the jack, they separate the mold process into two: one for securing the pins soldered to the cable, and another one act as hollow shell that protect the first mold (shown above). Just slice the connector right in the middle line and break the inside mold to get the pins, solder the cable and glue it in. Just a tip: carve the inside a lil to give space for the glue / thicker cable, use thick cream epoxy instead standard liquid power glue, glue the pins first to the inside shell before soldering to avoid messy glue, & avoid glue to dry on the recessed part of the pins or it won't connect properly.

This one looks messy since I half assed it and broke once because I used it without letting the glue cured, but you get the idea. I also have dissembled the connector from broken ZS3 cable perfectly for future modding.

NxwGkTX.jpg

Not the best looking cable, but hey, at least I only spent $3 for this :).

Cool

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #19,308 of 63,884
Personally I didn't encounter any microphonics after removing the memory wire. Helped big time, also in comfort.

Same here (and hear).

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #19,310 of 63,884
I just received my ZS3 today and I'm totally disappointed with the sound (with stock silicone tips) after having good experience with both good sounding ZST and ZS5 paired with the Comply T400 tips...I'm surprised with some that claimed the bass didn't bleed into the mids...they're bleeding all over...and where's the highs??? All i hear is wooly bass without any definition. After doing the Slater mod (removing the red and black foam filter), the highs and mids improved a tiny bit but the bass is still over powering everything else in the frequency spectrum. ZS3 is definitely not my definition of a good sounding IEM at whatever cost, even at $5. ZS3 is definitely a basshead's dream come true but it's a total nightmare for me. It's a real pity though because the ZS3 doesn't look like a cheap IEM but it sure sounds cheap. I wish those who claim that it sounds better than the ZST and ZS5 good luck...I'm getting really dizzy listening to it :dizzy_face: I wouldn't even dare to give it to my wife or she'll give me that stare and stop making dinner for a month :angry:

sounds like you got a defective pair

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #19,311 of 63,884
i had the same initial reaction but upgraded my rating after switiching to complys, which markedly tamed that big bass--the zs3 is very, very tip-and-fit dependent, but once you get it right its low end actually has equivalent control to the zs5. they still don't have the balance or high end detail of the zst or zs5, but some well-respected folks around here prefer the zs3 tuning.
Bolded that statement for emphasis. I couldn't agree more on that, based on my own experience.

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #19,312 of 63,884
Tried it with the Comply T400 tips and the only way I can describe the sound is that the dark sound gets even more darker with clouds of bass all over. I've come to my final conclusion...ZS3 is definitely not for me.

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #19,314 of 63,884

4 options:
1.You need to try short foam tips. The ZS3 can create a '"vacume" effect with some tips (i dont know how to describe it in English).
2.Your source is not good enough for the ZS3.
3.You connected the wire the wrong way.
4.You got a bad pair.

That's it, there's no fifth option in which the ZS3 are bad or bass monsters or anything like that. These are one of the best Chi-Fi earphones i have. When they are in my ears i sometimes think that they sound like 50$ iems.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #19,315 of 63,884
4 options:
1.You need to try short foam tips. The ZS3 can create a '"vacume" effect with some tips (i dont know how to describe it in English).
2.Your source is not good enough for the ZS3.
3.You connected the wire the wrong way.
4.You got a bad pair.

That's it, there's no fifth option in which the ZS3 are bad or bass monsters or anything like that. These are one of the best Chi-Fi earphones i have. When they are in my ears i sometimes think that they sound like 50$ iems.
Surprisingly the ZS3 fits very well in my ear and the isolation is great but that's the only compliment I could give. I even tried the 1 size smaller tips to tame the bass (vacuum effect is definitely not it) but the bass is still unacceptable. I know how good bass should sound like but ZS3's bass is certainly not it. My source is the Cayin N3 and iBasso DX90 paired with my Chord Mojo playing back flac files so bad source is definitely not it. I'm in the audio business and I happen to be the one who points out the solution for those who received the "out of phase" ZS5 so that's definitely not it as well. As for a faulty pair of ZS3, I'll definitely verify with my friend who will be receiving his ZS3 soon. Trust me, I'm trying very hard to like the ZS3 after having such a wonderful experience with both ZST and ZS5 plus the amount of good reviews many KZ fans have given it...but...I just can't enjoy the lumpy bass of the ZS3.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #19,316 of 63,884
Surprisingly the ZS3 fits very well in my ear and the isolation is great but that's the only compliment I could give. I even tried the 1 size smaller tips to tame the bass (vacuum effect is definitely not it) but the bass is still unacceptable. I know how good bass should sound like but ZS3's bass is certainly not it. My source is the Cayin N3 and iBasso DX90 paired with my Chord Mojo playing back flac files so bad source is definitely not it. I'm in the audio business and I happen to be the one who points out the solution for those who received the "out of phase" ZS5 so that's definitely not it as well. As for a faulty pair of ZS3, I'll definitely verify with my friend who will be receiving his ZS3 soon. Trust me, I'm trying very hard to like the ZS3 after having such a wonderful experience with both ZST and ZS5 plus the amount of good reviews many KZ fans have given it...but...I just can't enjoy the lumpy bass of the ZS3.

Just an idea. When I played around with my ZS3 it seemed that I really liked it with low sources of amps. You might give it a try with less amping and see what that brings. Then again it may have been my imagination but when I use it with my rockboxed Clip Zip without any further amping is sounds the way I like it.

Jul 28, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #19,317 of 63,884

That's very odd.
I have a picky ear too. I don't think any Chi-Fi sounds that good and the color of sound on the ZS3 is not my cup of tea , but your impressions are like a super exaggerated list of their shortcomings.
To me, the ZS3 are not even that bassy. They are more warm than bassy.

They can actually play metal music, almost no chi-fi can handle electric guitars.

Jul 28, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #19,318 of 63,884

It's also very very source dependant. Many make it sound like crap. Some make it sound excellent.

Jul 28, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #19,319 of 63,884
That's very odd.
I have a picky ear too. I don't think any Chi-Fi sounds that good and the color of sound on the ZS3 is not my cup of tea , but your impressions are like a super exaggerated list of their shortcomings.
To me, the ZS3 are not even that bassy. They are more warm than bassy.

They can actually play metal music, almost no chi-fi can handle electric guitars.

Agree with the metal statement. ZS3 sound great with metal and rock (Van Halen for example).

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #19,320 of 63,884
Just an idea. When I played around with my ZS3 it seemed that I really liked it with low sources of amps. You might give it a try with less amping and see what that brings. Then again it may have been my imagination but when I use it with my rockboxed Clip Zip without any further amping is sounds the way I like it.
I've tried the ZS3 on different sources, even from weak sources without amp and it sounds even worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back