Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 24, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #19,186 of 63,882
I'm talking about ATE, ATR, HD9 & ATES.

Its no longer in production.

Gotcha. What I meant was OK production may have stopped, but there is no shortage of stock from many many suppliers.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #19,187 of 63,882
Does anyone knows whether the 2 pin male plug used on Westone, JH, Earsonics, 1964Ears cables are fit with KZ ZST recessed 2 pin female? I'm sure these 2 pins are not universal as MMCX since I've seen these plugs with different pins-end diameter/ plastic housing size, so I don't want to end up with plugs that is too big or too loose to connect to ZST.

Below is the pins I want to purchase that advertised for previously mentioned IEM brands.

51511686_e81ef84d-ce29-4220-aaca-481c4e111d73_520_390.jpg

Anyway, does anyone knows whether MMCX female socket are created equally? I want to buy MMCX female socket that is designed for PCB (below 1st pic) because it is like 1/3 the price of a MMCX female socket advertised for attached directly on a device/IEM (below 2nd pic). I never work with MMCX before so I'm concerned whether both have the same locking mechanism nor durability.

19032433_e198d3c0-8617-4d34-8203-04cffc10d117_640_480.jpg
443808_d54dffa3-8913-4fcc-815c-8f31c3f81588.jpg

I'm thinking to either make 2 pins cable for ZST, or convert all my IEMs to just use MMCX instead for simplicity sake, and also because 2 pins male connector are shaped differently according to IEM recessed socket, is pretty rare and more expensive than a MMCX male plug around my place :frowning2:

Jul 25, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #19,188 of 63,882
Does anyone knows whether the 2 pin male plug used on Westone, JH, Earsonics, 1964Ears cables are fit with KZ ZST recessed 2 pin female? I'm sure these 2 pins are not universal as MMCX since I've seen these plugs with different pins-end diameter/ plastic housing size, so I don't want to end up with plugs that is too big or too loose to connect to ZST.

Below is the pins I want to purchase that advertised for previously mentioned IEM brands.

51511686_e81ef84d-ce29-4220-aaca-481c4e111d73_520_390.jpg

Anyway, does anyone knows whether MMCX female socket are created equally? I want to buy MMCX female socket that is designed for PCB (below 1st pic) because it is like 1/3 the price of a MMCX female socket advertised for attached directly on a device/IEM (below 2nd pic). I never work with MMCX before so I'm concerned whether both have the same locking mechanism nor durability.

19032433_e198d3c0-8617-4d34-8203-04cffc10d117_640_480.jpg
443808_d54dffa3-8913-4fcc-815c-8f31c3f81588.jpg

I'm thinking to either make 2 pins cable for ZST, or convert all my IEMs to just use MMCX instead for simplicity sake, and also because 2 pins male connector are shaped differently according to IEM recessed socket, is pretty rare and more expensive than a MMCX male plug around my place :frowning2:

Those 2 & 4 ground pins are also for strength and durability. It should sit right against the PCB when soldered.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #19,190 of 63,882
ZSE in stock and dropped to 8$ (USD) on KZ offical ali store. :beerchug:

Damn... Didn't resist. Pulled the trigger on those for 6.87 Euros...

Jul 25, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #19,192 of 63,882
IMG_20170725_093934.jpg
Brought my ZS3 today... Hadn't used these IEMs for quite a while, but yesterday I decided to remove the grilles and the inside foams. Only took the grilles off, because they didn't have the black tiny foams. Well, without the grilles, they seem to roll off at slightly higher freqs and the bass seems less intrusive.
Comparing to the ZS5, the ZS3 has less definition and soundstage, are very source-dependant (they seem totally different IEMs with different sources, i.e. smartphone, computer, DAP, amp, mainly in the bass response), have more sub-bass but less defined. Overall, the ZS5 are better, but not by a long run, as the ZS3 are still capable of enjoyable sound and are indeed very "musical" and confy.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #19,193 of 63,882
Personally, I don't like the sound of ZST, maybe because it's too treble-centric and somewhat lacking in bass. I think you should go for ZS5. :wink:

Got a message from the seller that I could cancel my order for ZSE I made before and reorder for the new price. Very generous.

Curious about the ZSE. They seem pretty small judging from pictures.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #19,197 of 63,882
Personally, I don't like the sound of ZST, maybe because it's too treble-centric and somewhat lacking in bass. I think you should go for ZS5. :wink:
Got a message from the seller that I could cancel my order for ZSE I made before and reorder for the new price. Very generous.

Curious about the ZSE. They seem pretty small judging from pictures.
Seems like you quoted the wrong person/misquoted me, dude, from the looks of your post.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #19,198 of 63,882
Guys, if you get can't stand the treble and the lack of bass on the ZST, you could try use a tuning foam (that used on the back of earbuds driver, available on most DIY audio store for like 10 cents a pair), cut it the same size as the nozzle, and put it beneath the metal grill. I used a paper hole puncher that makes the same hole diameter as the ZST inside nozzle and use the peeled glue on the bottom side of tuning foam to stick it in into the nozzle. This is pretty much the same trick that other IEM use to shape a sound signature. The ZS3 have this too.

Basically since the higher the freq, the more directional a sound gets, the foam helps dampening the harsh treble by scattering the sound through the foam pores (and of course the glue on the side of the tuning foam affect this process). As the frequency gets lower, the dampening effect will have less amount since the lower the freq, the less directional a sound will get. This is why you will only hear the bass of a car sound system from far away, and hear less treble when your ear is not in the direction of a speaker's tweeter; and considering the ZST armature driver is located in the nozzle right pointing to your ear drum, more presence of higher freq is to be expected. Meanwhile the metal grill while helps filtering dust, it supposedly will help reflecting the sound. I can't explain the reflection any further since I'm no expert on this subject tho, but these grills affect the overall sound somehow.

So that said, since the piercing high is no more because higher freq gets dampened, you'll notice a lower volume since ZST is a 'treble centric' IEM. I think I feel like around 8dB decrease of overall sound from using this mod. You can compensate this lower overall volume by setting a higher volume on your device, and then you will notice that lower freq have more presence thus making a more pumpy bass. Note that there's no noticeable changes on the sound stage.

Fglhb0m.jpg

I listen to trance and deep house music a lot, so it's really a torture when listening to trance since the genre often focused on treble details, and house music sounds lame because there's not much bass. This mod surely makes it FAR FAR more enjoyable compared to listening on stock ZST. I've tested if for a week now and don't miss that ridiculous treble on stock ZST.

I would be glad if someone tried this on their ZST and compare it with the ZS5 though. :)

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #19,199 of 63,882
I totally agree with your findings between the ZS5 and the ZST but I have to disagree about the UrbanFun HiFi sounding better than ZS5 and ZST from my own experience. To me both ZS5 and ZST sounds better (after pairing them to Comply T400 tips) than the UrbanFun HiFi.
vive le difference--i can easily see why you'd prefer the kzs, but for me the urbanfun (along with the bosshifi b3 and einsear t2) have that certain hard-to-define "refinement"--they really do sound like much more expensive phones.

Jul 25, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #19,200 of 63,882

Users who are viewing this thread

Back