Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 14, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #17,612 of 63,946
May 14, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #17,613 of 63,946
Hmm. I wonder how they compare in sound to the KZ ED9 which I own and like.

Just buy them, i don't think anyone would be disappointed by them.
I recommend buying S/M/L foam tips as well as foam tips gave me a good seal and helped me avoid the "vacuum" effect a few people mentioned in this thread.

May 14, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #17,616 of 63,946
Are these ZS5 and the ZSR Pro the same IEM?
If not are there any news about the ZSR Pro?

I think the ZSR were meant to be a 5 driver unit for around 90 dollars but that seems to be put on the back burner but they are meant to have the same casing according to that image of the packaging. I waiting for a decent review before I order as there QC leaves a lot to be desired.

May 14, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #17,617 of 63,946
Hmm. I wonder how they compare in sound to the KZ ED9 which I own and like.

Which filter are you referring to liking with your ED9? Shiny gold or dull brass? It's pretty hard to beat the ED9's imaging, clarity, and soundstage.

Compared to the ED9, the ZS3 is pretty heavy on the sub-bass (I consider it a basshead IEM). The ZS3 is much more comfortable than the heavy ED9 though, and the removable cable w/memory wire is a plus. The ATR or ZST is closer in sound to the ED9.

May 14, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #17,619 of 63,946
I think the ZSR were meant to be a 5 driver unit for around 90 dollars but that seems to be put on the back burner but they are meant to have the same casing according to that image of the packaging. I waiting for a decent review before I order as there QC leaves a lot to be desired.

Interesting, because the packages are completely different. The shape of the molded space on the ZSR Pro looks different than the ZS5. Also, the packaging on the ZS5 is very premium for a $30 IEM.

Compare that with the ZSR's $0.35 cardboard box and similar molded plastic insert as the ATx, ZS3, & ZST:

ZSR Pro.jpeg

I would imagine if they shared the exact same shell that KZ would logically have them sharing the same retail packaging.

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #17,622 of 63,946
@chinmie Glad your zs3s are sounding good straight out the box, even if its a zst box lol. Im a bit on the fence as to whether I should attempt the zs3 mod myself. I was under the impression that the mod improves the overall sound quality especially the mids and bass. Everyone has a different ear though so I will at least try the zs3s without the mod for awhile. Hopefully this mod is easy enough to perform I havent really looked in detail how to do it yet.

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #17,624 of 63,946
My zs5 arrived yesterday, mids and trebles are good out of the box, i.e. close mids and good treble extension. Vocals sounds close to you as well. However the build quality left a lot to be desired, my left unit took a bit of force to be fully inserted with both stock and gold-plated cable. The fit is awkward as well, like fitting a box inside a sphere, and the units are large and stick out of my ears a bit so probably cannot be used lying down.
Overall, zs5 gives really good female vocals for me.

May 15, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #17,625 of 63,946
My zs5 arrived yesterday, mids and trebles are good out of the box, i.e. close mids and good treble extension. Vocals sounds close to you as well. However the build quality left a lot to be desired, my left unit took a bit of force to be fully inserted with both stock and gold-plated cable. The fit is awkward as well, like fitting a box inside a sphere, and the units are large and stick out of my ears a bit so probably cannot be used lying down.
Overall, zs5 gives really good female vocals for me.

what about the bass? is it a bassy iem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back