Knowing anything about audio makes you look stupid.
Nov 11, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #77 of 102
When I was 13 audiophile sound wasn't cool. All I wanted was pumped bass and a tweaked treble. Loved the "smile" style EQ. Dr. Dre's certainly match that criteria. 

Nov 12, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #78 of 102

Quote:
Me mentioning 256 VBR vs. 320 CBR has much to do with what one notice in difference concerning bit-rates and what one consciously can discern, many listener will not notice a difference between aforementioned bit-rates. In fact few can't tell the  difference between 16-bit vs. 15-bit, I'm saying IOW something about the usual attention of the 256 kbps VBR person.

If it's also about fashion and group acceptance, well..

Lots of evidence that a good percentage of the audiophile community can't discern those bit-rates or 16 vs 15( this jump is way to small, personally I hear a difference at 14 vs 16 but that's me) Generally speaking I shoot for 320 but I don't shy away from 192 for an mp3 player to conserve space.

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #79 of 102
True - I always go for lossless anyway mostly because I think the quality of silence surrounding the sound is extremely black to my ears. It sounds like the background is completely soundless and that the sounds therefore come out of this total void. 

I think that is one of the biggest benefits of using lossless over other conversions...

And why settle for anything less than the complete reproduction of the original sound recording?

Nov 12, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #80 of 102
Changing another persons view of the world (SQ) is hard, especially if a person either are locked in on Beats by Dr. Dre or the Gospel according to DBT. Music is much about how one feels on many different levels, trying to verbalize these flashes alters ones perception of SQ. One theory concerning contingent negative variation is that it varies with the motivation of the subject to complete the task, some even suggest that the CNV is related to both attention and arousal level.

My point is that it's not as much to do with the physical ear, but more about ones interpretation of current environment and to fit in. Take for example sleep deprivation and how that alters the clock on the wall.. ticking.

Oh, what to do?

Nov 12, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #81 of 102

Quote:
True - I always go for lossless anyway mostly because I think the quality of silence surrounding the sound is extremely black to my ears. It sounds like the background is completely soundless and that the sounds therefore come out of this total void. 

I think that is one of the biggest benefits of using lossless over other conversions...

And why settle for anything less than the complete reproduction of the original sound recording?

Well I've got an 8gb Nano that can only hold a few bands in lossless or many many more in 320, and if I don't hear a difference then why should I? On my computer I have everything that I ripp in lossless and 320, I do this keep that format and convert into anything I want.

Nov 12, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #82 of 102

Quote:

The last one is really my reasoning. Hard drive space is cheap. 10 or 12 years ago I could justify trying to find the "ideal" lossy codec and bitrate/quality setting to maximize transparency and still have a good filesize-to-quality ratio. Now it just doesn't matter anymore. Have a lossless copy and be done with it. I have my entire CD collection in FLAC and still have 2/3 of the drive free for other files.

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #83 of 102
What I find irritating is when people ask advice after they've already made a purchase.  Like they want confirmation.

I had a friend come to me and say "You know a lot about speakers, don't you?  I just want to know what you think...  I just bought some Bose.  They are top of the line, right?"

To which I replied "Well, their marketing is top of the line."  (And also, why didn't you ask my advice before you wasted good money?)

Nov 12, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #84 of 102
I think for your set-up - you have made the right decision there. I would have done the same but I own the 160GB ipod classic - so I have more options to use lossless. 

Quote:
Well I've got an 8gb Nano that can only hold a few bands in lossless or many many more in 320, and if I don't hear a difference then why should I? On my computer I have everything that I ripp in lossless and 320, I do this keep that format and convert into anything I want.

Nov 12, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #85 of 102
So true.
Intelligent friends ftw!1

Quote:
What I find irritating is when people ask advice after they've already made a purchase.  Like they want confirmation.

I had a friend come to me and say "You know a lot about speakers, don't you?  I just want to know what you think...  I just bought some Bose.  They are top of the line, right?"

To which I replied "Well, their marketing is top of the line."  (And also, why didn't you ask my advice before you wasted good money?)

Nov 12, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #86 of 102
My friends think i'm crazy for spending that much money on headphones, but they appreciated how good the TF10s were compared to iBuds. 
beyersmile.png

Nov 12, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #87 of 102
i've seen a few of my friends with the beats and they're so happy with them, and think that they're so cool, i can't really find it within me to rain on their parade. i feel bad i guess

Nov 12, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #88 of 102
It's generally the fact that people feed into American media, and being more like Dr. Dre is something people want to be. They only think that Beats are the best headphones because they have not experienced true audio through a pair or exquisite headphones. I say you just let me listen to the their beats, think they are the best, and forget you ever saw such a monstrosity. Whenever I see someone spend money on bose/skullcandy/beats claiming they are the best headphones ever, I have a hard time not saying to them "there are better things to waste your money on"

Nov 12, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #89 of 102
what is there to bash? they're not spending hundreds of dollars on worse headphones than the ipod ear buds. they are still a good upgrade for $230. you should be commending them for not spending $230 on gangsta' chains. rather things that allow them to enjoy music. that's what it's all about anyways even if a chunk of the money is towards the flashiness of the headphones.

Nov 12, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #90 of 102
The difference between my friends and others is that they generally recognise that the beats are overpriced, but a few buy them anyway because they like them. For those people, the extra money is worth the unique combination of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back