Klipsh S4 vs ER6i vs MC5 vs RE0
Feb 9, 2011 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sosoma

New Head-Fier
Hello, im looking for a new set of headphones, and im no expert in this, so i thought i would ask people who do know about this. ive been looking around the past few days and the best that i came across for my budget seem to be:

-klipsch S4 for $70
-ER6i for $79
-MC5 for $79
-RE0 for $79

like i said, im no expert, and besides the standard ipod headphones, ive only owned 2 cx300/300-II's that gave out on me after 10 months to a year each, so durability is important here.

i mostly listen to alternative/indie/garage rock, stuff like white stripes, black keys, strokes, artic monkeys, etc and also to a lot of hip hop/rap, kanye, nas, eminem, 2pac, outkast,  and plenty of other stuff like gorillaz, daft punk, muse, yeah you get the picture.

which would better suit my tastes and be a quality product that will last.

also, if you can recommend any other that might suit me best, my price range is under $100

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 16
Out of the those the RE0 unless you want exaggerated bass. The ER6i is getting old and is bass-light even next to the RE0. The S4 is okay if you like overly aggressive bass and treble. The MC5 is decent too but I can't think of a reason I'd pick it over the RE0/ZERO unless isolation was the #1 priority. Other very good sets in the <$100 range: Sunrise Xcape, ECCI PR401, Meelectronics CC51, Xears TD-III, Fischer Audio Silver Bullet, Brainwavz M2/M3

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 16
If you are coming off from cx300, and based on your music taste with lots of bass-heavy tracks, I think s4 would fit you better.  All the other phones on your list, though possibly more accurate and some even better, may sound too thin to you.
Besides, there are a lot of discounted Klipsch items recently at various online retailers because of Klipsch's upcoming acquisition by Audiovox.
Btw, Klipsch s4, s4i, s5i rugged, and ProMedia gaming headphones should all have the same sound.

Feb 9, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 16
any word on the durability of the RE0? and warranty info?

i heard the MC5 is like the ER6i with more bass and a few other small differences, and also is pretty durable + has a 2 year warranty

but what im really wondering is, out of those 4 is there really such a big difference between sound quality? or will any of them be a safe bet?

if its not such a big difference i might go for the mc5 just for the 2 year warranty and durability

Feb 10, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #7 of 16

[size=medium]
For that price range, I'd go for either the ECCI PR401 (if you're looking for soundstage), the MEElectronics CC-51 (if you're looking for a bit of a fun signature and good timbre), or Brainwavz M3 (if you're looking for good bass). If you're looking for a more analytical sound, the RE0 or the Sunrise Xcape (or the alternative versions of them, the RE-ZERO and Xcape v2 if you're looking for a touch of warmth). Having listened to almost none of those, I would make my decision with that info based on what I've read about them.
[/size]

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #8 of 16
Out of those listed, I'd go with the S4  because of your taste in music.  The RE0s are going to leave you feeling empty considering your love for hip-hop.

If I had to fill in the "other" option, I'd go with the Phonak 012 "Perfect Bass" headphones, which are fantastic with a great fit, but not as bassy as the S4s.

The S4 satisfies the old school, rap fan in me.  It has really nice impact and great sound. 

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 16
I'm guessing that you would want a lot of bass with the music you're listening to. I would suggest the Brainwavz M2/M3. They are EXCELLENT and you can get a pair of M2 for around $50-$60 on Amazon.

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #10 of 16
Hi guys, first posting, the situation is similar sosoma, i got only cx300, i would prefer get one for listening hip hop e making it some draft on Cubase, i don't need an enhanced bass headphone, more flat possible

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #12 of 16
Having owned the Klipsch Image S4's and having just received my MEElectronics CC-51P's yesterday, I have to say I prefer them in every way. So for the price range, I reaffirm that the CC-51P's or Brainwavz M3's would both be optimal choices. Out of the ones you've listed, I've heard everything but the MC5, so the S4's would still tend toward your tastes more than the other 2 I've heard.

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #13 of 16
I can give my opinion on the S4 and my current MC5.

I bought the S4 about a year ago for $100 CAD after reading the reviews here.  It was a step up (initially) from my Westone UM1 or so I thought.  The bass in the S4 was evident compared to the Westone.  That's where the positives end.  The S4 has troubles with sibilant (gih end) and grows fatiguing after an hour or so.

I bought the Etymotic MC5 a couple of months ago and don't regret the purchase.  It has more bass than my UM1 but nowhere nearly as overbearing as the S4.  I guess the sound signature I prefer is something analytical (Ety or Westone) versus basshead.  I too have owned the CX300 and be forwarned, if you go with the Etymotics, you may find the lack of bass makes you regret your decision.  After your ears get accustomed to the more realistic sound, I think you won't regret your decision. I too listen to a variety of music and the Etymotics pair well with the indie you listen to.  I'd be concerned if you listen to a lot of rap though.

Feb 13, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #15 of 16
still havent decided, but ive now have more options since looking at the other choices mentioned here.

i looked at jokers review thread, gonna wait for his mc5 review

but yeah, durability is a big issue for me, i want something that wont brake just because i put it in my pocket. also, was thinking, is it really that hard to put in/take out the mc5 from your ear? was hearing about the deep insertion and how many people have problems with it, or is it just with the tri-flange tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back