Klipsch's NEW line of Reference X IEMs (X6i, XR8i, X12i, X20i)
Dec 14, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #31 of 167
  Ah....very interesting point.  Yes, I only tried the silicone tips included in the package.  I've tried numerous Comply tips with my IE800s and the trade-offs have never amounted to a net positive for me, so I'll admit, I didn't even think about trying them.  I had heard such good things about Klipsch's silicone tips that I was probably just biased to using them from the time I made the purchase.

Thanks!

Worth a shot at least.  Hope it helps.  If not, I have a feeling these might be an IEM that people just hear different for some odd reason.

--

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #33 of 167
  Hmmmm.....sadly, the Comply tips don't seem to change the sound for me (at least not in a good way).  Seem to add to the muffled nature of the sound in fact.  Weird.  Must be me.

Sorry to hear this did not help you though.  Sometimes we just hear things differently.  :frowning2:

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #35 of 167
  Very interesting that they are using the Accupass driver combo in the X20i - I wonder if it shares the same characteristics of some of the customs using that combination. The price is a bit higher than the customs - but I imagine Klipsch has done some tweaking of the drivers.

That is just the first module with AcuPass that you refer to. Based on the pictures they might use the new module (http://www.colsanmicro.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/26-E25-Acupass.pdf) for the x20i.

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #36 of 167
Nice review, thank you.

Dec 24, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #37 of 167
Does anybody have the X12 and/or X6? The X20 is out of my price range so I'm trying to decide between the former two. The X12 is of course the higher-end model, but can anybody say just how bad the treble roll-off is? I prefer the look of the X12 and the 15g weight seems amazing, but if the X6 has a significantly more neutral sound signature I think that wins.

Dec 25, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #38 of 167
Thanks for the fine review.

Eager to see a direct comparison between these new models.

Dec 25, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #39 of 167
Do these new lineups have a good price to performance ratio? I am doubtful because I used to own a pair of X11i s which i bought for 200 USD and while they were extremely comfortable, I felt that similarly priced IEMs such as DN-1000 and sony xba A-2 had a significantly better sound quality, they were just on a different level. Now the X12i s cost 349 and I doubt that they were be a significant improvement over the x11i s. Or are Klipsch iems for those who are willing to compromise sound quality for comfort?

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #40 of 167
  Do these new lineups have a good price to performance ratio? I am doubtful because I used to own a pair of X11i s which i bought for 200 USD and while they were extremely comfortable, I felt that similarly priced IEMs such as DN-1000 and sony xba A-2 had a significantly better sound quality, they were just on a different level. Now the X12i s cost 349 and I doubt that they were be a significant improvement over the x11i s. Or are Klipsch iems for those who are willing to compromise sound quality for comfort?

It would seem that the x12i sounds the same as the x11i, x10i and x10.  Those are all generally the same thing but look visually different with some minor tweaks.  Each seems to start at about $350 then when discontinued decrease in price.  The x10 can be found for a little over $100 on amazon nowadays.  

I've been using a pair of x10i's for many years now, since 2009 I think.  These things have taken a beating, even made it through the washing machine (and dryer, on low) once.  Still work great.

I've been trying various headphones to give me higher sound quality but I've been spoiled by the x10's super comfort, solid seal and ability to stay put in my ears that I've returned every pair of earbuds I've tried and kept the x10i's even if I find I prefer the sound quality of something else, the comfort keeps bringing me back.  I've been waiting a long time to see if Klipsch would return to a dual driver headphone, as the old school Custom 3's were mighty uncomfortable on my ears.  The x20i's look designed like the x10's... Spontaneously ordered a pair last night within about 15 minutes of learning that Klipsch made a new flagship earbud that isn't a remake of the x10.  Should arrive tomorrow, super excited to give these a serious go :)  Pairing them with an iBasso DX-50 DAP.  

Regarding the price to performance ratio question, possibly not.  Some of the cost is no doubt geared towards the mega comfort and small lightweight design, so I think you're trading some audio quality for comfort.  Don't know about the x20i's, but they're priced similarly to other audiophile grade headphones, some having 6+ drivers, but they're probably be a hell of a lot more comfortable as I never got any of those other brand of headphones to fit properly, at all, without causing ear pain.  However people have been comparing them to even more expensive earbuds, like from sennheiser, and enjoying them more.  So... maybe.  I wouldn't bother upgrading from the x10, or x11 to the x12 though.  

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #41 of 167
It would seem that the x12i sounds the same as the x11i, x10i and x10.  Those are all generally the same thing but look visually different with some minor tweaks.  Each seems to start at about $350 then when discontinued decrease in price.  The x10 can be found for a little over $100 on amazon nowadays.  

I've been using a pair of x10i's for many years now, since 2009 I think.  These things have taken a beating, even made it through the washing machine (and dryer, on low) once.  Still work great.

I've been trying various headphones to give me higher sound quality but I've been spoiled by the x10's super comfort, solid seal and ability to stay put in my ears that I've returned every pair of earbuds I've tried and kept the x10i's even if I find I prefer the sound quality of something else, the comfort keeps bringing me back.  I've been waiting a long time to see if Klipsch would return to a dual driver headphone, as the old school Custom 3's were mighty uncomfortable on my ears.  The x20i's look designed like the x10's... Spontaneously ordered a pair last night within about 15 minutes of learning that Klipsch made a new flagship earbud that isn't a remake of the x10.  Should arrive tomorrow, super excited to give these a serious go :)  Pairing them with an iBasso DX-50 DAP.  

Regarding the price to performance ratio question, possibly not.  Some of the cost is no doubt geared towards the mega comfort and small lightweight design, so I think you're trading some audio quality for comfort.  Don't know about the x20i's, but they're priced similarly to other audiophile grade headphones, some having 6+ drivers, but they're probably be a hell of a lot more comfortable as I never got any of those other brand of headphones to fit properly, at all, without causing ear pain.  However people have been comparing them to even more expensive earbuds, like from sennheiser, and enjoying them more.  So... maybe.  I wouldn't bother upgrading from the x10, or x11 to the x12 though.  
I am in exactly the same position
I want the x20i but don't want to give up the comfort of the x11s please let us know the difference in comfort between the x20 and your x10!! Thanks

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #42 of 167
I am in exactly the same position
I want the x20i but don't want to give up the comfort of the x11s please let us know the difference in comfort between the x20 and your x10!! Thanks

I'll certainly be making very critical comparisons in comfort between the two.  The wider body looks concerning, but I feel as though if any larger headphone can compete against the x10 in terms of comfort it's probably the x20i.  Otherwise it's probably hopeless, lol.  We shall see~

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #43 of 167
Ok, I got the headphones.  But not before Amazon first shipped me a large Klipsch center channel speaker that had a sticker on it that labeled it as the x20i.  Had to return that and order again through a different seller other than World Wide Audio.  

These things are smaller than the photos make them seem.  Still tiny alongside the X10.

Now to compare them with the X10s that I have been using since 2009, I actually do not seem to notice them feeling much any different when in my ears.  The ear tips have the same comfortable fit, and they go right in without any problems.  The body of the headphones are oval shaped, rather than perfectly round like the X10s.  I'm currently using the large ear tips, not sure how one's experiences would be if using the smallest of the ear tips. When touching the cables to move the earbuds within my ears I can feel that there is less wiggle room, but it hasn't been uncomfortably tight.  I am extremely impressed as to how they added a tweeter and still made the entire thing fit in one's ear canal.  Between these and the x10s I could easily forget which ones I am currently wearing.

The cable itself is a little thicker than the x10 and the see-through casing is really nice.  

Comparing the sound signature to that of the x10, it's very interesting.  It's basically taking the already well established bass and midrange of the x10 and having the treble suddenly come out to play.  That in itself cleans up the quality of the bass and brings forth a lot more detail in music.  Guitars sound very crisp.    If you enjoy the sound signature of the x10 (or x11) this perfectly builds on that.  It sounded beautiful the second I put the headphones in and hit play, nevermind any 'warmup' period.  I'm using an iBasso DX50 DAP with flacs as my source.  

Turns out I absolutely love these things, they have officially replaced my comfortable x10s.  Was starting to think that nothing ever would.  I do suggest trying them out, can never know for sure how they fit in ones ears without trying it but they feel great in mine and are very secure.  The x10s sound muffled to me now... lol

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #44 of 167
  - - -

Turns out I absolutely love these things, they have officially replaced my comfortable x10s.  Was starting to think that nothing ever would.  I do suggest trying them out, can never know for sure how they fit in ones ears without trying it but they feel great in mine and are very secure.  The x10s sound muffled to me now... lol

Awesome review and thoughts!  Thanks for sharing, I could not agree more.  I just have not had time to type it all out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back