Klipsch Image S4i static electricity
May 15, 2010 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

vinnievidi

500+ Head-Fier
Hello, 

I recently purchased a pair of S4is that seem to be conducting a significant amount of static electricity through the cable.  The result is a popping sound and a discomforting shocking sensation where the earphones touch my outer ears.

Does anyone else have this problem?  Did I get a faulty pair?

Thanks

May 15, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 15
Thanks for the links.  I read through the threads but I am pretty positive that there is a static charge traveling through the cable.  

I think that there is more to the problem than the clicking noise--my ears get shocked when i shift positions in my office chair or the cable rubs against the lining of my coat.

Maybe these are a faulty pair.  Did anyone else experience anything like this with the S4's or any other IEM?

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 15
Hi, welcome to Head-Fi
Did the shocking ever go away?  Were you able to solve the problem (not by selling them)?

The reason I ask is that I really liked how they sounded with the iPhone and am considering picking up another set.  But I am afraid to be shocked again.

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #6 of 15
my pair of normal s4s did the same thing with the left ear i believe.  especially in the winter and i walked around on carpet.  i think it's just a manufacturing/design defect.  and it never went away, unless i grounded myself by touching a metal part of my desk.

Dec 6, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #9 of 15
I have the S4s, and have never had an issue with static electricity.  Maybe its an S4i issue........... *shrugs*

Dec 29, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #13 of 15
I own a pair of the S4s and they shocked me a couple times, it rarely happens though. The shock was accompanied by a slight pop noise.  Just a note, my S4's cable has begun to fall apart slightly after somewhat moderate use, so... 

Dec 31, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #14 of 15
What you guys are getting has only a small portion to do with your S4's. I used to get this all the time with my Audio-Technica A900's (If I ran my foot against the carpet). This happens when the humidity is fairly low (winter/desert). you build static by wearing socks on carpet or brushing something furry like a shaggy dog lol. We as humans have an extremely low amount of electricity within us (matrix used as batteries, in-theory can be done lol).

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2729 ( I am not a fanboy :p)

Dec 31, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #15 of 15
Been using some S4i for about a year with Touch/iPhone 4 and not had this issue (fortunately!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back