Klipsch Image S4?
Jan 4, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #362 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by rudyzhou2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
same here, owned them and burned them in for about 2 weeks... just returned today... I think the problem is due to me listening and getting used to ER4P for abt a year... with such bassy on S4.. everything sounds really muffled compared to ER4P

gonna try X10 but it is prolly gonna be another bass monster
biggrin.gif

X10 is not a bass monster, but I had both S4 and X10 at the same time, and chose the S4 as a better value (and actually preferred their sound sig as well). The X10 does have a bass focus, but no monster.

Also, I once owned the ER4P/S and still have the im616 (Ety drivers) and I find I can enjoy both the S4 sig and the Ety sig. Like owning 3-4 cars of various types and styles, you listen to what strikes your mood. But that's just me (I have 6-7 IEMs at a time).

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #363 of 629
I have had nothing remotely muffled with my S4s. Do you have any type of eq taking place? If anything, the S4 is more of an "in your face" type of sound presentation.

Jan 4, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #364 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by rudyzhou2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
same here, owned them and burned them in for about 2 weeks... just returned today... I think the problem is due to me listening and getting used to ER4P for abt a year... with such bassy on S4.. everything sounds really muffled compared to ER4P

gonna try X10 but it is prolly gonna be another bass monster
biggrin.gif

Well, at least I'm not the only one, lol, whew...
Joking aside, after listening to them right now, the highs have cleared up but the mids and vocals are still muffled, and the bass it's still somewhat bloated. I know some may think it's because I'm use to my RE0, but when I compare the S4 to my NE-7m, the NE-7m has better mids but highs are slightly rolled off. And, I think the bass is a bit punchier than the S4, while it remains bloated, it's still tighter than the S4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Buff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had nothing remotely muffled with my S4s. Do you have any type of eq taking place? If anything, the S4 is more of an "in your face" type of sound presentation.

I don't use any EQ on my fuze. While I don't mind the narrow soundstage, that's not the problem I having. I love my alessandro because of the "in your face presentation," but I can't seem to like the S4, and I am trying lol. The highs are great, foward but not overly aggressive, great for rock. The bass is good, maybe a bit much for me for some genre but I have no serious problems, besides it sounds a bit bloated. It's the mids that are the problem. I'll be straight, at this point I don't think the S4 is equivalent to the RE0, more inline with my NE-7m, PL50.

Let the burn in continue...

Jan 4, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #365 of 629
Comparing the RE0 to the S4 is apples to oranges. For some of us, after the much-debated burn-in, the S4 is clean, clear and sounds perfectly fine. But no reason to expect everyone to like it. I really never cared for the NE-7M, for example, so I just sold it within a week or two. No interest in the RE0 either, though I do have the RE-252 on hand. I like the 252s, but again, a different flavor from the S4. Some people prefer several flavors, others are content with vanilla, chocolate or teaberry. Also, source can have something to do with it. For example, I much prefer the S4 with my Sony X or Amp3s, and not as much with the Clip+ (akin to the Fuze HP out). One aspect, bloated bass, is no longer a problem for me with the S4, however, no matter which DAP I use.

Jan 4, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #366 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comparing the RE0 to the S4 is apples to oranges. For some of us, after the much-debated burn-in, the S4 is clean, clear and sounds perfectly fine. But no reason to expect everyone to like it. I really never cared for the NE-7M, for example, so I just sold it within a week or two. No interest in the RE0 either, though I do have the RE-252 on hand. I like the 252s, but again, a different flavor from the S4. Some people prefer several flavors, others are content with vanilla, chocolate or teaberry. Also, source can have something to do with it. For example, I much prefer the S4 with my Sony X or Amp3s, and not as much with the Clip+ (akin to the Fuze HP out). One aspect, bloated bass, is no longer a problem for me with the S4, however, no matter which DAP I use.

I completely agree. I can appreciate the S4 for what it is. The only aspect of the S4 I don't really like is the recessed or muffled mids. I do agree the S4 is quite clean and clear, but the mids are somewhat a bother. lol, I enjoy several flavours which is why I have different IEMs. Granted a new source may solve the problem.

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #367 of 629
ok, among all of you geniuses, i am such a newb (i always listen to $20 cheap sony earbuds, the best ive ever had are cx300s which i didn't think were that great), but honestly, i just got these and they sound like ****. the bass is massive and all which i like since im a basshead, but the mids and highs somehow seem unnatural (seem very electronic, metallic, harsh, dunno how to describe, not very smooth) so it sounds like its coming out of a tin can. idk, at the likely unhealthy volume level im listening at, its tiring to listen to (fatiguing) because of the piercing highs and all. ill try the burn in and i bought this partially with a gift card so i can't really return it anyway, but i kind of doubt that i will be liking these anytime soon. im disappointed in my investment and probably going to stray away from spending any money on sound equipment in general, these highly praised $80 phones do NOT sound 4x better than my $20 sony EX33LP.

edit: i thought this could be some of the crap-encoded files i was listening to so i just ripped some CDs in apple lossless and listened through my laptop, still sounds like ****. tried my ipod since there are some fancy ass annoying equalizers with my sound card drivers that could be screwing it up, but still sounds like ****.

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #368 of 629
You want some helpful advice, here it is: Your post sounds like ****. If you had done your homework, you would have noticed that there was a sibilance issue with the S4s out of the box for most, while other owners find them muddy. Sarcastically calling anyone who does like the S4 a "genius" certainly points out the fact that you are anything but.

Plenty of currently happy S4 owners disliked them out of the box, another thing you might have noticed had your bothered to read the thread. Since, as you state, you have already decided you probably are not going to change your mind, there is a nice spot on the FS forum waiting for you.

Nobody is going to go nuts for every IEM, of course, but there are plenty of well-documented cases on this thread of people who had issues with the S4 and now have resolved them. Some have not. But your style of expressing yourself is, well, less than effective, to be diplomatic.

You are right about one thing, though: Your are probably better off with the $20 EX33LP.

And all that helpful information below is in the thread, but someone (one of the people you labeled as a "genius" for liking the S4) was nice enough to spell it out for you.

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #369 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjpark1111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, among all of you geniuses, i am such a newb (i always listen to $20 cheap sony earbuds, the best ive ever had are cx300s which i didn't think were that great), but honestly, i just got these and they sound like ****. the bass is massive and all which i like since im a basshead, but the mids and highs somehow seem unnatural (seem very electronic, metallic, harsh, dunno how to describe, not very smooth) so it sounds like its coming out of a tin can. idk, at the likely unhealthy volume level im listening at, its tiring to listen to (fatiguing) because of the piercing highs and all. ill try the burn in and i bought this partially with a gift card so i can't really return it anyway, but i kind of doubt that i will be liking these anytime soon. im disappointed in my investment and probably going to stray away from spending any money on sound equipment in general, these highly praised $80 phones do NOT sound 4x better than my $20 sony EX33LP.

edit: i thought this could be some of the crap-encoded files i was listening to so i just ripped some CDs in apple lossless and listened through my laptop, still sounds like ****. tried my ipod since there are some fancy ass annoying equalizers with my sound card drivers that could be screwing it up, but still sounds like ****.

Sorry to hear they're not meeting your expectations. I hope they get more refined after some burn in time. Have some patience for a while, and keep listening. For me they settled down quite a bit after the first 20-30 or so hours. Also be sure to experiment with all the tips. The included oval gels are pretty good on them, but if you got them from Best Buy, they also have some Sony tips with multi colored center tubes which fit. I find those very good on the S4's, and the treble and mids opened up with them.

Don't give up on them, until you're sure you've tried everything you can. I personally found them to highly exceed their retail price. It sounds like for some reason you're not getting the best out of them.

Good luck.

Jan 4, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #370 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You want some helpful advice, here it is: You post sounds like ****. If you had done your homework, you would have noticed that there was a sibilance issue with the S4s out of the box for most, while other owners find them muddy. Sarcastically calling anyone who does like the S4 a "genius" certainly points out the fact that you are anything but.

Plenty of currently happy S4 owners disliked them out of the box, another thing you might have noticed had your bothered to read the thread. Since, as you state, you have already decided you probably are not going to change your mind, there is a nice spot on the FS forum waiting for you.

Nobody is going to go nuts for every IEM, of course, but there are plenty of well-documented cases on this thread of people who had issues with the S4 and now have resolved them. Some have not. But your style of expressing yourself is, well, less than effective, to be diplomatic.

You are right about one thing, though: Your are probably better off with the $20 EX33LP.

And all that helpful information below is in the thread, but someone (one of the people you labeled as a "genius" for liking the S4) was nice enough to spell it out for you.

X2, I have to agree. I was about to say something but didn't want to be rude. Btw, tjpark1111 just because you bought them with a gift card doesn't mean you can't return them, unless it's is written in their return policy that anything bought with a gift card can't be returned...

Jan 4, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #372 of 629
Funny thing just happened, i was about to post how I felt my s4's were muddy as well but I decided to mess with the tips a little. I have small ears but after 5min I dismissed the biflange tips and settled on the small gels. I just got the biflange to work over the ear and the sound is totally different. Still plenty of bass but so much clearer. Im assuming maybe the deeper insertion got rid of the muddy bass. Im afraid to touch my ear for fear of losing the sound. I was really thinking of taking these back but maybe not now.

Jan 4, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #373 of 629
I don't even use the Klipsch gels, opting for the Ety bi-flanges in small. But I have little doubt that tip choice, ear canal shape and insertion depth can have a major impact on any IEM, much less the S4.

Jan 4, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #374 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjpark1111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you want to do some trading, pm me. I have some ink'd buds and some j2s... 2 for 1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back