Klipsch Image S4?
Dec 23, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #287 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Judge Buff,

Thanks for the review and tips. I have my S4's and well at first I thought they were decent but not worth the $80. So as I know with all headphones, they have been cooking. I have about two hours worth of actual head time and about 30 hours are burn in. And to say that there is a difference is an understatement. The soundstage is huge, the bass no long muddy, and the highs are a lot more tamed. And the longer the cook the better they sound. I am now very happy with my purchase, pairs well with me Sony Walkman.

That's awesome, RH. I cooked mine pretty hard and after about 40 hours, I was amazed at how tight the bass had become and how the sibilance had become just "bright." The contrast of the bright upper mids and highs with the tight bass is attractive to me. I use them daily with my Zune or my Crackberry and I amp them with my BB202. I never boost the bass, either.

I do understand complaints about fit as I wish the L gels tips were just a bit larger. I get a decent fit by turning them as I insert them minimally. I sometimes angle them outwards just a little bit which can help. I have some Shure/Vsonic foams that may be perfect, that I also use on my PL50s. I understand that I may need to decore them, though.

Dec 23, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #288 of 629
Would using the Comply's hinder, help, or give an indiffernt effect on the S4's? I am quite impressed with the medium ovals.

Dec 23, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #289 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would using the Comply's hinder, help, or give an indiffernt effect on the S4's? I am quite impressed with the medium ovals.

Good question! Don't complys typically attenuate highs a little and promote bass via seal? My guess is that the presentation would get much warmer, but I'm only speculating. I'm sure that someone reading this thread has used complys looking for a seal.

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #291 of 629
I just picked up a pair of these, and I'd have to say that they actually sound wonderful out of the box. They sound much nicer than the pair of Altec Lansing Backbeat Pro's I have even before burn-in. I'll be sure to comment more after the burn-in process.

Dec 27, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #292 of 629
Hi guys, first post here. Great website. These are my first pair of expensive (well, to me, I know there are more expensive 'phones out there) headphones. I absolutely love them! They did sound a little punchy out of the box, but I didn't think they were awful. After some burn in, though, they have settled down a bit and sound wonderful. Overall, I'm so happy with my investment!

Dec 27, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #293 of 629
There's a reason why I'm using the Comply Tx-100 ear tips on my Image S4i: I don't have an issue of the IEMs falling out of my ear like I get with the original large oval tips provided by Klipsch. And I also get a better seal, too.
smile_phones.gif

Dec 27, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #294 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by XAlexander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just picked up a pair of these, and I'd have to say that they actually sound wonderful out of the box. They sound much nicer than the pair of Altec Lansing Backbeat Pro's I have even before burn-in. I'll be sure to comment more after the burn-in process.

Hey guys, I let these guys burn-in for about 8 hours so far, and I'd have to say I can notice a bit of a difference already. The sound is extremely smooth and pleasing to the ears, and the detail on these for a dynamic is a bit astounding. I didn't expect this out of an 80 dollar pair, so cheers to everyone partaking in this wonderful and comfortable Klipsch experience.

Dec 27, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #296 of 629
I can't say, but they are rated out of this world and are bested by the X10. They use armature drivers, so they may have a slightly different sound signature, but the overall Klipsch experience is wonderful. These are very warm and smooth and are clear enough to produce the textures of the instruments, so I can only imagine that the detail will only go up from the S4's with a possible and minuscule drop in warmth.

Dec 28, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #297 of 629
So.... I've had the Klipsch S4 iems for a couple of weeks now, but I'm looking into some other products.

Strangely enough, I've been less happy with the S4s after some significant (120+ hours) burn-in. Although I will say for certain that the sibilance is greatly reduced and hardly bothersome to me, I feel like I'm overwhelmed with mid-range all the time. I also feel like the low-end is less detailed than it was at first. In general, it seems to me that the lows and mids are more "muddled" together now, and I'm not super happy about it.

All that said, I've noticed a difference between ear tips -- specifically the Shure Olives vs. the Klipsch Gels. The Shure Olives, in my opinion, sound a bit better all-around -- better detail with the lows/mids, slightly more sibilance -- but are much less comfortable. I'm using the smalls Olives, and they hurt my ears somewhat. Makes me sad. The Klipsch Gels give poorer isolation, but are MUCH more comfortable for me. I use the bi-flange small gels, which insert very far, but I find them extremely comfortable. Unfortunately, the gels give me less detail with the lows/mids. Quality vs. comfort... what to do!?!

As a matter of comparison, I've just ordered the Etymotic HF5 from Amazon ($107). I'm looking forward to the comparison between the two, and I'll keep whichever ones I prefer. Also, I'll post my thoughts here -- for those who care to compare.

Thanks for reading.

Yip

Dec 28, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #298 of 629
Picked up a set today from Best Buy with my gift card money. So far, they sound pretty good (3-4 hours on them so far). The bass isn't as boomy as I expected, but it's the quantity I wish the RE0 had. They're much better than I thought they would be (a decent step up from UHP336's), but they hiss slightly more than I like. It doesn't seem to affect my enjoyment yet though. Hopefully they'll get clearer and tighter over the next few days. I put a set of Shure olives on them, so I'm even happier. They'll make a fine set of backup/beater IEMs for me. I never thought I'd get something that sounded this good from Best Buy.

Dec 29, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #299 of 629
Here are initial impression of them, I've just listened to several hip hop, rock and jazz songs.

The bass is very muddy and sounds extremely bloated. The highs and mids are exaggerated and harsh, and slightly too forward, somewhat stabby in my ear, it kinda sounds very artificial. Oddly enough, the overall phone sounds muddled, and recessed. This is fresh out of the box.

Dec 29, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #300 of 629
that sounds about right with what i experienced when i first got them. the bass was muddy and overpowering. it got significantly better after a couple hours and got better until around 125 hours or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back