klipsch Image S4 - really that good?
Oct 15, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by selkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about bass. I find them short on lows. is it going to loosen up?

Check your seal... lack of bass shouldn't be an issue. Normally I use a medium size tip, but I had to go to the large size Klipsch gel to get a seal. It's the only phone that I need the large size for a seal.

Oct 16, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #35 of 38
the S4's have restored my faith in Klipsch as an iem producer. After the awful experience I had w/ the fabric cable & fit of the Custom line, I can say the S4 has brought complete redemption to the company in my opinion. I used to think the oval gels provided for an incomplete fit & seal, but they honestly work MUCH MUCH better in a design like the image line over the custom line. Truly a great product.

Oct 16, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #36 of 38
Wow, just discovered that the UM56 custom sleeves work with the S4s. Never thought to use them before. The bass needs to be toned down a bit via EQ, but overall, fantastic. Believe it or not though, the comfort is just a little better with the gels or tri-flanges, as customs create a little more pressure in the ear canals than do the silicone sleeves. Not saying it is a problem, but it's just a little more obvious you have tips in your ears with customs.

SQ-wise, it's great. Of course, I would not recommend spending $100+ on UM56s for the S4s, but since I have them anyway for the UM3X, why not?

Small update:
I was messing with some other tips today and the S4 is a very good match with the Shure soft flex tips (mediums work best for me). I think they sound smoother than the modded bi-flanges, and are just as comfy. There is something about the S4 design that makes them comfy no matter which tip I try. I definitely don't care about trying foamies with them. For now, I will use either the Shure grey soft flex or the UM56s. And again, not hearing any harsh sounds coming from them. It's just gone.

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #37 of 38
I recently bought the Image S4i's.. i can tell you, these little things produce GREAT sound at a considerably affordable price :wink:
The S4's really excel in the bass section. It's detailed but not overpowering! The highs are clean and sharp, the mids are good too!

I also have the Shure SE310's and found that the expandable tips work GREAT with the S4's! This helps with the noise isolation as the tips that come with it don't really fit my ears, even the largest ones fall out!

My rating out of 10:
8.5/10
Considering the fact that the tips don't fit my ears that well. Overall, great sounding little IEM'S!!
Really recommend it!

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #38 of 38
I realize this is a year after this discussion, but in case anyone else is wondering about the Image S4, I wanted to add this info - regarding lack of bass in the Image S4, I gotta say that checking my seal fixed a lot of problems for me. I'd never used sound isolating headphones before, and was really skeptical of the sound I was getting from these until I really pushed them in and got a good seal (thanks Judge Buff!).

I'm about 3 hours into these headphones, and they're good (they sounded terrible - no bass, tinny highs - before I got a good seal). Check your seal first, then wait for the burn-in (I can't wait for these to burn in now...). In comparison to other headphones, I gotta say that they're at least as good as, or better than, the Bose Triport In-Ears. I've already heard things that I never heard in years of listening to the same albums through the Bose headphones (which broke at the jack).

Definitely worth the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back