Klipsch Image One - Opinions?
Aug 20, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #16 of 49

Quote:
Wow, even worse than the usual Bose? Hah, nice.

But to be constructive... I'd try for something like the Shure srh440, my favorite AKG K272HD or HD25-1 even (though not very comfy). Many good closed portables out there in the same price range to kick bottom.

Seriously, what Bose is bass heavy? Certainly not the AE1 or AE2. Not even remotely. I do know the in ear models are. Both AE1 and AE2 are very balanced sounding to me, but not neutral. Actually AE1's fault is that it is kind of treble happy. I keep hearing Bose are supposed to be bass heavy and I don't know why people keep saying this! Maybe it's the QC2 or QC3..whatever they call them.

BTW for those that are commenting ONLY on what they've heard in a store demo, please don't do this. It's stupid. How can you possibly even listen to a headphone in such a noisy store anyway? Don't give me this.."but it was quiet".

Aug 20, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #17 of 49
Well, the ones I tried were a bit heavy and well, more-so blurry. Just a monotonic haze that covered the music. Not for me...

Got me on the AE-1 and 2. Have not heard them. But given the lack of design philosophy in that company, I have high doubts :)

Aug 20, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #18 of 49

Quote:
Well, the ones I tried were a bit heavy and well, more-so blurry. Just a monotonic haze that covered the music. Not for me...

Got me on the AE-1 and 2. Have not heard them. But given the lack of design philosophy in that company, I have high doubts :)

I tried the AE2 recently and it's not horrible and quite good. Totally not worth $150 though! Sounds more like a decent smaller $60-$75 headphone.

In 2002-2004 I used the AE1 and always loved it. I recently obtained another pair ($40) and was shocked at how much treble it had. The bass was quite good actually. There is a tiny bit of recession in the mids, but it's not an issue since it's so minor. I ended up giving them to my mom to upgrade her Maxell DHP-II (which sound VERY good for the $30!). The sound clarity on the AE2 seems much worse than the AE1. AE1 is very clear somehow.

I'd take a Bose over a Skullcandy or Monster headphone any day
normal_smile%20.gif

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #19 of 49

Quote:

New here, but I thought I would chime in.... Regarding the Boses, how electropop put it would be exactly how I would describe it. It wasn't necessarily that the basses were heavy, but definitely blurry. 

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #20 of 49
Wait a minute, is AE-1 the same as "Triport"? ... Ones I did try were the triports and they were as I said. :)

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #21 of 49
Bumping this back up again. My pair from that $30 sale came in today (Looking like new; the tags on the cable were still on. Score!) and I do have to say that these are seriously not as bad as I expected them, but these probably have the most bloated bass I've ever heard, more than the Bose OE1, which I didn't really think was possible. The midrange isn't as recessed as I expected, but plenty recessed regardless, and the treble can get a bit spiky. I'll have a full review up on Headfonics in like two weeks, since they'll probably sell for this little in the future. Despite the fact that they don't sound all that great, they're still worth the $30 they cost. I'll be doing some futzing with them to decrease the bass and increase mids though. The quantity's kind of ridiculous for such a small headphone.

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #22 of 49

Ya, the AE2 needs to have the Mids EQ'd in.  Bose really backed off the bass ALOT in these headphones but they just never tweaked the mids to the forefront.  Sadly.  Because other than that they sound pretty good and are VERY comfortable! 
Quote:
I tried the AE2 recently and it's not horrible and quite good. Totally not worth $150 though! Sounds more like a decent smaller $60-$75 headphone.

In 2002-2004 I used the AE1 and always loved it. I recently obtained another pair ($40) and was shocked at how much treble it had. The bass was quite good actually. There is a tiny bit of recession in the mids, but it's not an issue since it's so minor. I ended up giving them to my mom to upgrade her Maxell DHP-II (which sound VERY good for the $30!). The sound clarity on the AE2 seems much worse than the AE1. AE1 is very clear somehow.

I'd take a Bose over a Skullcandy or Monster headphone any day
normal_smile%20.gif

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #23 of 49
Someone gave me some QC whatever their top of the line NC headphones are.  I can't listen to them.  The NC makes me feel queezy and the sound is meh.  Not offensive, but not great either.  Just meh. 

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #24 of 49
I have the Image One.  Really disappointing.  I like bass but you lose the rest of the music.  Basically bought them for the iPhone connection to use when working from home.  I guess they're fine for that although I'm not totally impressed with the mic.  When I put on my SR60 or AD700 the difference is immediately noticeable.  Not even in the same league.  Comfort-wise I'd say they're fine.  I've worn them for 6 hours at a time with no discomfort.  

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #25 of 49

Quote:
I have the Image One.  Really disappointing.  I like bass but you lose the rest of the music.  Basically bought them for the iPhone connection to use when working from home.  I guess they're fine for that although I'm not totally impressed with the mic.  When I put on my SR60 or AD700 the difference is immediately noticeable.  Not even in the same league.  Comfort-wise I'd say they're fine.  I've worn them for 6 hours at a time with no discomfort.  

I'm pretty sure the AD700 is the exact opposite of the Image Ones. 
wink_face.gif
 But yeah I need to work on bringing the midrange forward and taming the bass.

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #26 of 49
I just got a set of these. At first I thought they were just average, but then I figured out how to wear them right and I like them a lot. The earcup is actually big enough to fit around the back of my ear, and that was just naturally how I put them on at first. Then I realized they are supposed to be on-ear so I moved them forward to actually sit on the outer ear, and the sound was much better. More comfortable too.

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #27 of 49
REALLY bass heavy. I expected a bass heavy phone but not this much.

Still, they're something of a guilty pleasure for me so I'm happy with the $30 I paid for them.

Nov 20, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #28 of 49
I find that after the first minute or so, I don't even perceive the bass as that unusual, and like them quite a bit. The highs and imaging are awesome, they feel great, and they are well-built. Of course I only paid $69 for them, so that may be coloring my perception. I heard them in the Apple store once and thought they were garbage. Just goes to show you that that's no way to evaluate a headphone.

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #29 of 49
I got the Image One recently.  It has unreasonable bass quantity for anyone who isn't a basshead, but at least it's pretty tight.  Mids are a little recessed but not terrible.  Highs are okay.  Really not a spectacular headphone, but I don't regret the purchase (under $50).  If I was a basshead and wasn't trying to use these for indie/folk music (which they are bad at reproducing), they'd probably get a better review from me.  Honestly, I expected more from Klipsch, which is a brand I generally like.  They are undoubtedly not worth over $100 IMO, but maybe $50, even $60 or so if you like bass.  I'm thinking of eventually selling them and saving for a V-Moda M80, but I'll keep 'em a while and see if they sound better after my ears adjust to them a bit.  

I demoed the Bose in store.  Much better balanced than the Klipsch I suppose, but also not spectacular headphones.  I would rate them a little worse on the whole, but with a completely different sound signature, so it's hard to compare.  And good luck finding them for under $50...

So, on the whole, if you really love bass, and can find them for under $50-$60, I could recommend the Klispch.  Otherwise, I'd say you choose neither and take a look around head-fi for some superior options at your price range (which, if we're talking retail prices, is enough cash for some really decent cans).  

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #30 of 49
Where are you guys getting the Klipsch Image One for under $70? Are you getting them new? I was considering getting a pair since I'm kinda a basshead and listen to mostly rap music. I wanted a pair that is portable and could work well with my iphone and was thinking of the klipsch image one. If I could get a new pair at the price you guys are talking about I would definitely get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back