Klipsch Image One - Opinions?
Dec 15, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #31 of 49
Most of us who purchased them for $30 got them from an Ebay seller who had a large supply of returned Klipsch Image Ones. Amazon has them in the $50 - $60 range used or refurbished quite often.

Dec 29, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #32 of 49
So I finally got off my butt and attempted some mods for this. I FOUND THE MIDRANGE! It just required two different types of felt to restrict airflow.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #34 of 49

Quote:
Mind sharing?

I'm in the process of making a guide with pictures for general headphone modding (the Image Ones are my "reducing bass" examples) so anyone that can't visualize the following can learn to do this too.

Basically I tried to restrict air, thereby reducing bass, by putting regular craft felt behind the driver then a layer of thick wool felt on top of the craft felt. The resulting sound was piercingly bright so I used a layer of craft felt in front of the driver to act as a filter. I also did the normal mass damping/filling the cups with polyfil. 

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #35 of 49
not worth it for 150 dollars.

buy some image s4 or something instead lol. 

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #36 of 49

Quote:
I'm in the process of making a guide with pictures for general headphone modding (the Image Ones are my "reducing bass" examples) so anyone that can't visualize the following can learn to do this too.

Basically I tried to restrict air, thereby reducing bass, by putting regular craft felt behind the driver then a layer of thick wool felt on top of the craft felt. The resulting sound was piercingly bright so I used a layer of craft felt in front of the driver to act as a filter. I also did the normal mass damping/filling the cups with polyfil. 

So I guess I could put a wool sock over each earpiece.  Just kidding.  Sounds like it would be very, muted or cogested.  I think they sound pretty, good out of an iPhone or iPad.  

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #37 of 49

Quote:

So I guess I could put a wool sock over each earpiece.  Just kidding.  Sounds like it would be very, muted or cogested.  I think they sound pretty, good out of an iPhone or iPad.  

Well the key to improving mids is to limit air behind the driver so the driver doesn't move as much air (and putting out as much bass in the process). By putting some thick felt behind the driver, the air is successfully restricted.

Feb 15, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #38 of 49
I would have to agree with the comment before about lots of bass and harsh highs.  I tend to EQ mid and treble into most headphones but I actually set out on a mission to water the Image One's down.  Left flat it's almost as if someone bumped the whole EQ band up.  Bass is overpowering and echoey, upper mid into treble is flat out harsh, fairly sibilant..  Full sound for sure but tons of tonality issues.  I AB'ed them next to Sennheiser HD428's in Best Buy.  I personally preferred those but this was a purchase for the gf.  My conclusion was the Image One's were "fuller" to a fault.  Loud is a better way to put it.  The bass is more pronounced for sure.  That was the main reason for the purchase.  I noticed harshness in the store but hoped that would be tamed at home.  Wrong.  She likes them alot.  

For me those Senns were the best thing on the rack.  The bass was pretty non existent but detail was superb.  Every instrument had a place.  Tones seemed more accurate.  Had that trademark Senn veil which I'm not extremely fond of (never owned a pair of senns) but once you adapt to that a bit they sound very nice.  Just wish they had a little more impact.  Bass isn't everything but when you don't offer any it is certainly missed.  The Image One's have some stage but for this amount of money you can do much better across the board.  

I feel that the Image One is an iPhone/iPad solution.  I think the decisions made regarding tonality were based on plugging them straight into and Apple device.  The device control is also part of what you pay for.  Overall I'm not overly impressed.  It's a $50 headphone with ipod controls and a brand name that adds $60 to the price.  

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #39 of 49
This is a pretty old thread, so I'm sorry if I'm reviving it.

I had a chance to buy the Image One with a pretty good discount recently, so I tried them on for awhile to get a feel of them. I love loads of bass, so I was pretty tempted to get an Image One.

Indeed, the Image One has got quite a lot of bass, but it's certainly not as ridiculously bass heavy as some of you might suggest. For comparison, I find some cans in the Sony XB Series, V-MODA Crossfades, JVC Xtreme Xplosives, Reloop RHP series bassier in comparison.

It was a bit disappointing, since I was expecting a huge bass monster in the vein of an XB500. Nevertheless, they were quite portable, but I passed on them, as the bass level wasn't what I was expecting.

Any opinions on its bass presentation, guys? :)

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #40 of 49
I agree that the Crossfade LP has more bass but it is a full size headphone as opposed to an on ear portable. It's hard to fathom the Klipsch Image One not having enough bass though. For portables, they are bass monsters although I disagree with most reviewers here in that I don't find them too bassy to enjoy. Just my opinion.

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #41 of 49
Quote:
I agree that the Crossfade LP has more bass but it is a full size headphone as opposed to an on ear portable. It's hard to fathom the Klipsch Image One not having enough bass though. For portables, they are bass monsters although I disagree with most reviewers here in that I don't find them too bassy to enjoy. Just my opinion.

I guess you're quite the basshead, too. I don't find them too bassy that they become hard/impossible to listen to. In fact, I quite enjoy such sound signatures (lots of mid-bass). For supra-aural cans, they are certainly one of the bassiest, and I might give them another go at a subsequent time.

May 18, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #43 of 49
The Bose AE2 definitely is more comfortable as it is really lightweight and is an around the ear headphone instead of on the ear like the image one's. From my experience with these headphones, the AE2's had a more rounder sound than the klipsch's v-shaped sound. The mids sounded wider, the highs were recessed (as expected of bose headphones), and the bass quality (not quantity) was surprisingly good. Good as in expansive and smooth. The klipsch image one's on the other hand had sharp fatiguing highs (you can always eq that), better mids, and deeper/more powerful bass. 

May 19, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #44 of 49
The Bose AE2 definitely is more comfortable as it is really lightweight and is an around the ear headphone instead of on the ear like the image one's. From my experience with these headphones, the AE2's had a more rounder sound than the klipsch's v-shaped sound. The mids sounded wider, the highs were recessed (as expected of bose headphones), and the bass quality (not quantity) was surprisingly good. Good as in expansive and smooth. The klipsch image one's on the other hand had sharp fatiguing highs (you can always eq that), better mids, and deeper/more powerful bass. 

Spot on observations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back