Klipsch Custom 3 Review
Mar 19, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #18 of 63
Hello Gary, I could not think of anything after reading your review other than what was your electronic source? If it was of high enough bits for MP3s, if you amped the headphones. If you used different sources, what were they? As the owner of some UE's I noticed a bass improvement using different ear tips. Are the Custom 3s customizable? SO many questions, so little time.

B
cool.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #19 of 63
Bikeboy,

I had a couple of different sources:
1. an iPod - since most our readers use this as their primary source
2. A BlackBerry - yes, people do listen to music on their mobile phones in a pinch
3. Directly out of a logitech Squeezebox - which tries to "uncompress" compressed audio files and streams Internet Radio at 192 kbps
4. Amplified through a Sony 100 watt per channel receiver - usually direct from a CD

Mar 19, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #20 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryM63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, DeTinux,

Every Web site has a different style - if anyone looked at any other review I wrote they would see that we routinely do a company history for pretty much every product we review. Remember, I don't write for an "audiophile" site - so many of our readers have no idea who any of these companies are - they just like to know what is new and cool and get an honest impression.

First page pictures are most often logos or small images of the product just for size purposes - this isn't uncommon. I'm curious to see if I get the same reaction after the Sleek review next week.

Gary, didn't mean to be harsh, but there have been reviews of the Custom 3s here and a few reviewers/users at least pointed to some downsides to those specific phones other than price and fit. Be that as it may, if the site you review for requires company history, etc., my suggestion would be that you tell the site that starting with the "real" review makes much more sense, engages the reader, etc. For all that other stuff, some actually cut and pasted from the Klipsch site, just add a link at the end for anyone interested in visiting the manufacturer's site, or seeing stock photos of the phones/gear. Curious readers, audiophile site or not, know enough to click on a link if they want to get more info.

Seems to me, all that stuff up front just gunks up the review, making it almost impossible to wade through. In fact, when I first started to read, I wondered if there was any review to the review. Finally, I got to the point where I believe the review began. It would be like a movie critic listing the cast, a history of the film company/production company, etc., before actually delivering a review. Not very compelling, nor interesting.

Nothing wrong with liking the phones. I am sure you are not the first to give the Custom 3s a generally positive review. But the format just mucks up the actual delivery. I'd revisit the format, and ask your site to maybe reconsider their approach to reviews.

Mar 19, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #21 of 63
gary, when you copy and paste an individual's post it would behoove you to do so in its entirety(especially when it is 2 lines). failing to do so does not show the entire sentiment of the poster. when you post on a public discussion forum you must be prepared to have your information either supported or critiqued. dissent must not be interpreted as an indictment of your character but instead the need to pause for some introspection. i don't post here very much because i am a bit on the lazy side. i have read many posts here that i have disagreed with yet i have not gotten up the gumption to respond. your post did however relieve my lethargic state albeit temporarily. i will repeat myself; what you did was no crime just an everyday human deed. the format and content of your review made many of us discount its worth; no more no less!

Mar 19, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #22 of 63
I own both SA6 and Custom-3, like both quite a bit, have no problem with getting good seal for both (using SA6 tips and m5 bi-flanges for Custom-3) and will be keeping both. I have no connection to either company and have to say that Gary's comparison of the two is dead on for me. I would add that Custom-3 are more upfront compared to SA6 leading to smaller soundstage. A lot of negativity of Custom-3's here actually seems somewhat strange to me, because to my ears they certainly hold their own against SA6.

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #23 of 63
Gary, don't be discouraged by the criticism. For what it's worth, I really think you review is fair, especially for average consumer who don't spend big (if any) money on headphone.

We tend to take our hobby too seriously here at Head-fi, and will bash any thing that is not to us liking (search BOSE and y'll know). If you stay here long enough, you'll understand that we are generally fun (and evil
evil_smiley.gif
).

For really bad review site, I'll recommend onheadphones.com. Most their opinion are so obscure that they don't even make any sense to me.

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #24 of 63
Gary-
You must be very lucky in that your ears must match up nicely to the shape of the Klipsch gels. I had the exact oppposite result with fit as you. I tried every tip in the package, and no luck. (and I have had plenty of experience with a range of canalphones / IEM's to know what it sounds like when you get the seal right). The medium single flange tip seemed to be the closest thing to approaching a seal, but even with them I had to forcibly jam and hold them into place to get any hint of the full sound range they offered. And it was fleeting and not a reliable fit. Plus at the depth I had to get them in to it was very uncomfortable, almost painful. It made me wonder about the safety of my ears. Not a good sensation.

For me the Sleek has that ease of fit and comfort that you mention with the Klipsch earphones. I also get the opposite result with bass because of that. The bass goes much deeper, and is more accurate on the Sleeks. Plus the treble, air, soundstage, mids are all so much more refined to my ear. There's no hint of sibilance or harshness to accompany all the detail. I am hearing new details in my music I didn't know was there. For me the SA6 is what I've been looking for, not the C3. I also like the idea of supporting a new small startup audiophile earphone company.

I didn't mean to derail this thread, but I think it's interesting in this field how something as unique as ear canal shape can completely dictate which brands you will find pleasing. It must be incredibly difficult as an earphone manufacturing company to get this right.

Anyway, I'm glad that you find the Klipsch earphones right for you! I have to admit I am curious to hear the Images! I personally do love the SA6 though.

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #25 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We tend to take our hobby too seriously here at Head-fi, and will bash any thing that is not to us liking (search BOSE and y'll know). If you stay here long enough, you'll understand that we are generally fun (and evil
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

Hah, guess what I started out in this hobby with? That's right, the B&O A8. Do some searching on that one! But I sort of liked the laid-back rich sound of them. Of course they don't stand up at all to the likes of the Denon C700, or now the SA6.

Mar 20, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #26 of 63
Still love my A8 for its extra wide soundstage that not even PK1 can match up. I know Duggeh love his too , at least when he still owned his. It might not have the best price as earbud, but the SQ is certainly one of the best of its time.

Mar 20, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #27 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by visia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own both SA6 and Custom-3, like both quite a bit, have no problem with getting good seal for both (using SA6 tips and m5 bi-flanges for Custom-3) and will be keeping both. I have no connection to either company and have to say that Gary's comparison of the two is dead on for me. I would add that Custom-3 are more upfront compared to SA6 leading to smaller soundstage. A lot of negativity of Custom-3's here actually seems somewhat strange to me, because to my ears they certainly hold their own against SA6.

I have tried both the Klipsch Custom-3 and the Sleek Audio SA6 as well. I actually had no problems with fit with the Custom-3 like several others have, but it was that upfront sound signature that deterred me. Upon first listen of the SA6, I knew I found nearly exactly what I was looking for in an IEM. Microphonics is still somewhat of an issue (I had this problem with nearly every IEM I've tried, but I haven't tried any with the braided cable a la Westone or LiveWires). The sound quality of the Custom-3 was excellent, but it was mainly the presentation that made me finally decide it was not for me.

I'm not sure how it does it, but the SA6 makes my music sound more airy and spacious in comparison to other IEMs. It is not quite at the level of open headphones, but it's the best I've heard in an isolating IEM. It almost gives me the sensation that I'm listening to speakers (which is quite awesome when on-the-go). Another positive for me that I've become very fond of of the SA6 is the option of wearing them straight down instead of over the ear. And besides that, the double flanges they designed are magical. I get a seal very quickly and easily, and deep insertion isn't even needed.

Sorry if I hijacked this thread, but just offering my thoughts on my journey. I could definitely see someone enjoying the Klipsch Custom-3 if they like that more upfront, in-your-face sound signature. The bass was indeed stronger and the entire sound signature was on the warmer side.

Mar 20, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #28 of 63
BTW Gary, have you been able to listen to the Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro or Shure E500/SE530? Those two have always been highly regarded by many at Head-Fi (being that they are the top of the line universal IEMs for both of those companies).

I assume you have, but I just wanted to make sure those were taking into account based on your "I have listened to just about every earphone released in the past few years" statement. Looking at your profile, I see your inventory includes the lower end Shure and Ultimate Ears models but neither of their flagship models.

Mar 20, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #29 of 63
i would really like to know how the custom 3 and the SA6 compare to my current use Atrio M5, and to the SE530 and the Triple.fi 10, the thing is, the SE530 is great base and good mids, but no highs, the triple.fi 10 has great highs, good bass, amazing soundstage (thats a UE trademark basicly), but i hear that the mids are quite poor, the westone 3 is to be released bundled with duke nukem forever for the phantom console,

so i started looking around for other "flagship" IEM´s,
which brings us to the SA6 and the Custom 3,

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #30 of 63
I don't really want to start a flame war but I does sound a little bit like a paid ad.

It would be nice for you to post pictures of all the headphones you compare with. Its really hard for readers to take your review seriously.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts. Sorry Gary!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back