King Sound Emperor: New Electrostatic Headphones!
Jan 9, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #617 of 666
Forgive me, but I had never heard of King Sound electrostatic headphones before, until today...

I was at my booth in Vegas at THE Show and this group of Chinese guys came by with their headphones and headphone amp. They asked if it was OK if they tried their headphones with my software. I said OK and assumed they had a pair of dynamic or planar headphones. I was surprised when they said they were electrostatic! 

So they proceeded to compare the latest King Sound electrostats with my Stax SR-009. They also wanted to hear what their headphones sounded like with this Russian prototype electrostatic amp/DAC I am showing in my booth. So we did headphone comparisons and amp comparisons...

Well, I have to say, against the Stax-009, there was no comparison. I didn't expect it either since they said their headphones cost about $800 for both the headphones and amp. It would have been great if they were close. The Stax setup was close to $10,000. I know higher cost doesn't always mean better, but the difference was pretty obvious.

Anyway, I got back to my room so I could Google King Sound and found this thread.

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #620 of 666
I have the Float, Ergo AMT, koss esp-950, and Stax but not the Taket's

I feel the sound presentation of the Floats and AMT's are unique regarding soundstage. I've never heard anything else which compares, not even the top end Stax. This is why I love them so much even with their other shortcomings
I believe the Taket is very fussy to find their sweet spot, so requires a bit of experimentation and needs a lot of power to drive like the Floats/AMT's. I have heard the bass on these makes the Audeze sound a bit wimpy :)

Quote:
  I don't have the float, just the Ergo AMT.

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #626 of 666
I had a listen to these today but they don't seem to be the King Sound Electrostatics that was shown last year. Are these different and new?

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #628 of 666
  Yep, they are part of the second round of releases from Kingsound.  What did you think?

IMHO, "trying" is how I'd sum it up but it's kinda unfair as I've got 009s & 007s at home and naturally these are no comparison. I have little to no experience with 307s & 407s, etc. which is where I think these Kingsounds should look at as competitors. Just my personal preference, I kinda prefer Wachara's DIY floats.

Mar 21, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #630 of 666
  That look interesting. How did it sound?

Sadly I listened to it at an event so it's not an ideal environment for a fair impressions especially it being an open headphone. I felt tonally it was decent (not certain if I'd say it's tonally balanced though, but quite acceptable to my tastes) however lack the resolution which I'm accustomed to - which would be an unfair comparison since I have the 007/009 at home.

I suggested to the local distributor here  that it's probably worthwhile to compare it to the lower ended Staxes around - the 404's, 507, etc. Bear in mind though that this King Emperor is approx $1000 with headphone & amp combined so that's quite decent value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back