KG CFA3 headphone amp
Jun 25, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #1,442 of 1,794
Jun 25, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #1,443 of 1,794
Correct me if I am wrong however wasn't the CFA3 designed for hard to drive headphones (ex. Susvara).
Easy to drive, like the Utopia, will perhaps be better with the GSX MK2?

Jun 25, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #1,444 of 1,794
I listened to the CFA3 with Susvara and as a previous CFA3 owner, the prototype is on point.

Jun 25, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #1,445 of 1,794
I also tested the HeadAmp CFA3 today with my Susvara. Hard to do memory based comparison, but it sounded quite similar to my dukes built on. Nice form factor and seemed very well built.

Jun 25, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #1,446 of 1,794
Tried this out at canjam. Looks like people who have been looking for a commercial option are in luck. Sounded pretty fantastic.
Interesting. Curious parts choices what with the SMD components, including capacitors. I'll be curious what they end up with in the production unit. Power supply seems small compared to what I built (I have dual 250VA transformers). I do notice they are saying 25v power supply, though. I may have to try bumping up from 24.

Jun 26, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #1,447 of 1,794
Howdy...

Figured I'd quickly come out of hiding to continue singing the praises of the CFA3 and hopefully help someone in the process. During the past 2 1/2 years, I've burned through a ton of money and gear trying to find out what I actually like (as opposed to what other's think, what is best reviewed, currently hyped, etc., etc.). Here are some lessons learned:
  • All told, I tried approx. 100 different components: amps, preamps, power conditioners, power regenerators, cables, tubes, CD players, DACs, headphones, speakers and digital sources.
    • Throughout all of that churn, I only regret selling two pieces of gear; SR1a headphones and the CFA3 amplifier.
  • Don't buy gear based solely on "reviews." The audio media industry is hot garbage. It is filled with so much pay-to-play/quid pro quo BS that it is almost impossible to find any truly credible mainstream reviews.
  • There is no substitute for your ears, system, knowledge and preferences. Putting in the hours is the only way - THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS!
    • Don't let anyone talk you out of your preferences. Ever.
  • Try components for yourself. If you can't try before you buy - don't buy, or at least have a realistic plan to trade/resell it.
  • There are tons of great products from brands you've likely never heard of. Use this to your advantage. Just be wary of buying gear from companies that don't have an established track record of survival in the audio industry. Again, just try things for yourself. I promise you'll be amazed at what you discover.
  • Audio is ridiculously nuanced. Like stupidly, hopelessly, infuriatingly nuanced. You can change almost anything and it can affect sound. This is especially true the higher you climb up the summit-fi mountain.
  • If you are an audio purist, aim for the native format the music was recorded in. More information doesn't necessarily mean more enjoyment or "better" performance.
  • Power quality and delivery, at every stage, comprises approx. 80% of digital audio quality.
  • Dealers are out to make money - not solve your audio problems or give two $h1ts about your preferences (which most people aren't aware of anyway). No exceptions.
    • No matter how good or genuine a dealer is, 100% of them will eventually take advantage of you in the long run. When push comes to shove, their need to put food on the table (or another Lambo in the garage) will always supersede your desire for the best price on the new audio thingymabob that can do your taxes and make julienne fries. There isn't anything wrong with this. The industry is what it is and dealers need to eat too. You just have to be acutely aware of a dealer's priorities and always put forth the time and effort to be your own advocate.
    • Reputable dealers tend to make a flat percentage and will normally be semi-transparent about it. Squirrely dealers tend to be all over the map and getting honesty or transparency from them will be like trying to nail Jell-O to the wall.
      • Never trust a dealer who purportedly sells "everything," no matter how good the prices appear to be. More often than not, you are better off paying a reputable dealer a little more instead of doing higher risk business with someone who is literally trying to screw you as hard and as often as they possibly can. Your cost will likely be the same in the long run anyway (see d!ckhe@d dealer tricks, like drop shipping gear directly to you from China so they can stick you with the customs bill, not honoring warranties, selling used gear as new, selling gear earmarked to other dealers without the manufacturer's knowledge causing them to refuse service and deny warranty claims, etc., etc., etc.). I've made some very expensive mistakes not heeding this advice.
  • If you are truly looking for the best bang for your buck, go DIY or some variation of it.
    • Alternatively, consider buying old high-end gear from the late 90's, 2000s or 2010s. It was surprisingly easy to find local audio repair shops that recap and refurbish older gear. Worst case, you have to pay shipping to/from someone that can do it for you. Recapping/refurbing isn't as expensive as you think and should always be factored into the purchase price.
      • Refurbishing is tedious and takes time. But so does working to make enough money to spend 3-5 times as much on a new component with the same performance.
      • How do you think an ultra high end DAC from 1998 would fare against a Chord Dave today? Try it for yourself and find out.
  • You can buy an 80th percentile headphone system for as little as 10-15k. A used or DIY-based system for even less. Spending over this tends to yield smaller increases in actual sound quality and usually just alters the presentation, flavor, options, or prestige. Chasing the last 15-20% is certifiably insane.
  • Don't ignore the digital source. This is probably the single biggest mistake I see that gimps an alarmingly high percentage of mid-to-high end headphone systems. If you spent over 15-20k on your system and are still using a tablet, mac mini, work pc, etc. I'm begging you to try a high quality dedicated digital source. If you are handy enough, I would highly recommend building your own. It isn't that hard and I can help you. If you aren't that handy, audition as many as possible in your system.

Lastly, I posted this marginally useful diatribe here because I am finally fixing the aforementioned mistake and ordering another CFA3. I haven't been able to find anything that can match the combined sound quality, versatility and thermal operation anywhere close to this price point. I also have some super secret custom gear in the works that use some of Kevin Gilmore's wonderful designs.

More to come.

-lj

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #1,449 of 1,794
Where have you been hiding all this while? 😁

Lastly, I posted this marginally useful diatribe here because I am finally fixing the aforementioned mistake and ordering another CFA3. I haven't been able to find anything that can match the combined sound quality, versatility and thermal operation anywhere close to this price point. I also have some super secret custom gear in the works that use some of Kevin Gilmore's wonderful designs.
Welcome back to the CFA3 family. But that last sentence really intrigued me. Care to share more?

Jun 26, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #1,450 of 1,794
Where have you been hiding all this while? 😁
Mostly hiding in diapers, work, life events, and self-education. Truthfully, the more I learned about audio the more apparent it became that I should refrain from posting on forums such as this :).

Welcome back to the CFA3 family. But that last sentence really intrigued me. Care to share more?
Thanks, Normie! Long time no speak. Ok, I'll give - working on a custom dual box unregulated linear power supply for a truly ridiculous custom franken-source along with a decked out preamplifier. Should be fun...

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #1,451 of 1,794
Thanks, Normie! Long time no speak. Ok, I'll give - working on a custom dual box unregulated linear power supply for a truly ridiculous custom franken-source along with a decked out preamplifier. Should be fun...
That sounds beastly indeed!

Jun 26, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #1,452 of 1,794
Correct me if I am wrong however wasn't the CFA3 designed for hard to drive headphones (ex. Susvara).
Easy to drive, like the Utopia, will perhaps be better with the GSX MK2?

This is quite true of the diy version (which frankly has way way way too much gain for it's spec of pot) but the headlamp version seems to be a much better match for utopia. I wasn't able to try utopia directly, but the no feedback version at the show was a bit richer and denser tonaly than the diy is (the dryness/sharpness of the diy is a massive issue for og utopia imo)

Jun 26, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #1,453 of 1,794
I also tested the HeadAmp CFA3 today with my Susvara. Hard to do memory based comparison, but it sounded quite similar to my dukes built on. Nice form factor and seemed very well built.

Very interesting. I found it sounded pretty wildly different than the dukie built one I have tbh

Jun 26, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #1,454 of 1,794
Don't let anyone talk you out of your preferences. Ever.
A-effing-men. This needs to be at the top of every page of headfi. People may not understand or like your preferences but they don't have to. Only you have to like them.

Edit: this entire post should be required reading for people getting into the hobby

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #1,455 of 1,794
Very interesting. I found it sounded pretty wildly different than the dukie built one I have tbh
Each version could be different, based on what components and options were chosen. My take is it is very similar to the one I had. Memory and show conditions are not perfect. @goldwerger bought mine, so we are using the same CFA-3 as reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back