KG CFA3 headphone amp
Jun 25, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #1,426 of 1,794
Tried this out at canjam. Looks like people who have been looking for a commercial option are in luck. Sounded pretty fantastic.

Attachments

• 20230624_131400.jpg
    20230624_131400.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Jun 25, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #1,427 of 1,794
Tried this out at canjam. Looks like people who have been looking for a commercial option are in luck. Sounded pretty fantastic.
So headamp is making a commercial one?

Jun 25, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #1,429 of 1,794
Yeah, but it's at least a couple of months out before anything is really available.
Great news if it happens. It's good that more people will be able to experience this amazing amp.

Jun 25, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #1,430 of 1,794
Honestly, I don’t really understand the difference between DIY and commercial.

I would’ve wanted to think the DIY doesn’t keep any component in stock and build it for you, and therefore take some time, whereby commercial has them in stock and ship them within a few days. Nevertheless, plenty of companies that make what are called commercial components take many many months and sometimes longer to build for you. Isn’t that DIY?

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #1,431 of 1,794

I would’ve wanted to think the DIY doesn’t keep any component in stock and build it for you, and therefore take some time, whereby commercial has them in stock and ship them within a few days. Nevertheless, plenty of companies that make what are called commercial components take many many months and sometimes longer to build for you. Isn’t that DIY?
Commercial you can buy it from a company, DIY you have to build it yourself or find someone to build it for you.

The commercial option is more accessible to people that don’t want to deal with DIY.

Jun 25, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #1,432 of 1,794
DIY gives you more options for build: used components, rail voltage, dual mono etc. and gives you different levels for different prices that suits your budget/needs. But for CFA3 design popularization it is good and more people can try it. :)

Jun 25, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #1,433 of 1,794
Pay attention to the implementation of self-made SFA3. Each is assembled from a different set of components, someone has one body, someone has two. For this reason, the impressions from listening to one device are not equal to the same impressions from listening to all other devices assembled from other components.

Commercial assembly is the same type of all instances. They can sound differently only if there is a marriage in one of them.

Jun 25, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #1,434 of 1,794
I hope that the dimensions offered for sale will be more compact.
Not every audio rack can accommodate such a cube.

Jun 25, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #1,435 of 1,794
Commercial products also have warranty which helps those who are not as adventurous to get the amp. Offering a year or up to 5 years is not something commissioned dyi builders usually sign up for. Also economies of scale could be another. You have boutique builders who take a year to build and others who mass produce and keep prices low for entry level gear which could punch much higher than the price tag.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #1,436 of 1,794

Any idea what the price will be? Looks very neat!

Jun 25, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #1,437 of 1,794
Interesting responses. Honestly, in my experience, very often what are considered a commercial Builders take many many months to build their product and a DIY guys do it quicker.

Regarding warranty, of course, it’s only as good as the one giving it. Plenty of commercial builders out there will take months to fix a problem that takes a half an hour to fix because there’s a backlog and they’re too busy, making new products and new sales to take care of you.

Regarding time to build and warranty I really believe these things are not related at all to a private builder or a commercial builder and it all depends on the person behind it. I think the fundamental difference is customisability which the commercial builder will not accept and a private builder will and also for the most part commercial offerings are aesthetically superior than the private built offerings.

That’s my two cents.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #1,438 of 1,794
Economy of scale is something to consider. Mass producers can buy parts for less per unit because they buy in bulk. So maybe the cost of a mass produced unit might not be that much higher than the cost of DIY.

Jun 25, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #1,440 of 1,794

Users who are viewing this thread

Back