KG CFA3 headphone amp
May 4, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #991 of 1,794
You may be better off with the 45 especially Globe. A more pronounced stage and space than true 300B and a little more resolution sweeping with more sweetness.
I can imagine the 2.5v are a step in the right direction.
Interesting and agree. Didn't think about that until you bring it up. Now to go hunting for tubes...

May 4, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #992 of 1,794
Hi Everyone,

I'm excited to join the CFA3 family! I am the very lucky purchaser of @littlej0e 's tricked-out CFA3. And it is awesome. The first thing I noticed was instrument separation that blew everything else I've ever listened to out of the water. My ZMF VCs out of the XLR out have never sounded better. (In fact, my Pendant SE is now for sale, if you know anyone interested: https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/zmf-pendant-se-headphone-amp-optional-tube-bundle.24900/).

I'd like to use the CFA3 to drive my RAAL-requisite SR1a as well. (In fact, ideally, I was hoping the CFA3 would replace my HSA-1b). The question is how to do that. I tried connecting the speaker taps on the CFA3 to the RAAL-requisite interface box and that to my SR1a. That works, but . . . the first interface box I got had a channel imbalance, and Danny and David from RAAL-requisite were incredibly helpful and sent me out a second box to help troubleshoot. The second box doesn't have the channel imbalance. However, I'm getting some distortion primarily in the mid-bass and losing some of the quieter detail out of the speaker taps on both of those interface boxes. The combination of the facts that (1) this doesn't happen (a) out of the headphone outs on the CFA3 when using my ZMF VCs, or (b) when using my HSA-1b instead of the CFA3 to drive the SR1a, and that (2) the distortion and detail loss happens with both interface boxes and after I've moved speaker wires around, makes me think it's the speaker taps on the CFA3. @Dukei has been extremely helpful over PM in helping me troubleshoot. (Shout out to Danny and David from RAAL-requisite, and Dukei, who have really gone above and beyond!). However, Dukei thinks it might simply be that the CFA3 doesn't have the power output through the speaker taps to be in its ideal range when driving the SR1a.

So, I was hoping the hive mind here might help. Should I try the new RAAL-requisite TI-1a interface box connected to the XLR out on the CFA3? Or is there a better way to drive the SR1a from the CFA3?

Thanks in advance! (Also, I'm kind of a luddite when it comes to tech, so please forgive me if I described anything incorrectly, or if I have trouble following your suggestions initially).

May 4, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #993 of 1,794
So, I was hoping the hive mind here might help. Should I try the new RAAL-requisite TI-1a interface box connected to the XLR out on the CFA3? Or is there a better way to drive the SR1a from the CFA3?
This could be the ideal solution. However, I use CFA3 with SR1a through the interface box and to my ears it sounds excellent, I hear no distortion on the mid-bass at all. FYI, I use EQ out of Roon so maybe this helps.

Last edited:
May 4, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #994 of 1,794
This could be the ideal solution. However, I use CFA3 with SR1a through the interface box and to my ears it sounds excellent, I hear no distortion on the mid-bass at all. FYI, I use EQ out of Roon so maybe this helps.
Thanks! I presume your CFA3 has speaker taps, too, and that's what you're connecting to the interface box?

May 4, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #995 of 1,794
Thanks! I presume your CFA3 has speaker taps, too, and that's what you're connecting to the interface box?
That’s correct.

May 4, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #996 of 1,794
Hi Everyone,

I'm excited to join the CFA3 family! I am the very lucky purchaser of @littlej0e 's tricked-out CFA3. And it is awesome. The first thing I noticed was instrument separation that blew everything else I've ever listened to out of the water. My ZMF VCs out of the XLR out have never sounded better. (In fact, my Pendant SE is now for sale, if you know anyone interested: https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/zmf-pendant-se-headphone-amp-optional-tube-bundle.24900/).

I'd like to use the CFA3 to drive my RAAL-requisite SR1a as well. (In fact, ideally, I was hoping the CFA3 would replace my HSA-1b). The question is how to do that. I tried connecting the speaker taps on the CFA3 to the RAAL-requisite interface box and that to my SR1a. That works, but . . . the first interface box I got had a channel imbalance, and Danny and David from RAAL-requisite were incredibly helpful and sent me out a second box to help troubleshoot. The second box doesn't have the channel imbalance. However, I'm getting some distortion primarily in the mid-bass and losing some of the quieter detail out of the speaker taps on both of those interface boxes. The combination of the facts that (1) this doesn't happen (a) out of the headphone outs on the CFA3 when using my ZMF VCs, or (b) when using my HSA-1b instead of the CFA3 to drive the SR1a, and that (2) the distortion and detail loss happens with both interface boxes and after I've moved speaker wires around, makes me think it's the speaker taps on the CFA3. @Dukei has been extremely helpful over PM in helping me troubleshoot. (Shout out to Danny and David from RAAL-requisite, and Dukei, who have really gone above and beyond!). However, Dukei thinks it might simply be that the CFA3 doesn't have the power output through the speaker taps to be in its ideal range when driving the SR1a.

Thanks in advance! (Also, I'm kind of a luddite when it comes to tech, so please forgive me if I described anything incorrectly, or if I have trouble following your suggestions initially).
I just received the new Tl box and I am using it with my bakoon 13r and sria and I am very pleased...I bet it would be great with the CFA3

May 6, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #999 of 1,794
If anyone is interested in a maxed out CFA3 with separate golden reference psu and speaker taps + RK27 motorized pot with remote control, please drop me a message.

It's one of the last Dukei builds for now. He may not build again.

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #1,000 of 1,794
If anyone is interested in a maxed out CFA3 with separate golden reference psu and speaker taps + RK27 motorized pot with remote control, please drop me a message.

It's one of the last Dukei builds for now. He may not build again.
PM'd

May 17, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #1,002 of 1,794
Happy to say I've just asked Dukei to do a new build for me. I'm probably one of the last ones to jump on the train since he's no longer taking new commissions after this week. I have a WA33 which I will test against & as the preamp to the CFA3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back