KG CFA3 headphone amp
Mar 23, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #901 of 1,794
I paid 2,900 euros plus PayPal fees.

I have the following: PS Audio P12, high grade custom server, DCS Elga Plus, Esoteric G-0RB clock, Enleum 23R, Susvara, early serial HD800, Falcon LS3/5A Gold Badge.

The Enleum is amazing with the speakers but a little too warm for me for the headphones. I read Paradoxper's comments on the 23R and feel the CFA3 will be a good match.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #902 of 1,794
I paid $2,900 euros plus PayPal fees.

I have the following: PS Audio P12, high grade custom made server, DCS Elga Plus, Esoteric G-0RB clock, Enleum 23R, Susvara, early serial HD800, Falcon LS3/5A Gold Badge.

The Enleum is amazing with the speakers but a little too warm for me for the headphones. I read Paradoxper's comments on the 23R and feel the CFA3 will be a good match.

do u have a photo of the two chassis cfa3? is it with the golden reference psu? u got the speaker and headphone version? thanks.

Mar 23, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #903 of 1,794
I don't have a photo but it is the golden reference psu. Didn't know there was a speaker version. Looking into it now. If it does speakers as well as the 23R (which beat my Classe CT-2300 hands down) then the 23R will be moving on and the Phi TC coming in.

Mar 23, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #904 of 1,794
Are there any performance or power drawbacks with using the CFA3's single-ended headphone output vs. XLR? Reason why I ask is because I have 6.35mm terminated cables for the Susvara and HE6SEV2. [Answered: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/does-balanced-more-power.696919/]

EDIT: Also, is anyone able to provide dimensions for the Golden Reference PSU chassis?

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #905 of 1,794
Are there any performance or power drawbacks with using the CFA3's single-ended headphone output vs. XLR? Reason why I ask is because I have 6.35mm terminated cables for the Susvara and HE6SEV2.

EDIT: Also, is anyone able to provide dimensions for the Golden Reference PSU chassis?

The PSU is 24cm wide, 29cm deep, and ~10cm high (with feet).

My headphone cables are terminated with 1/4 inch connectors so would be interested to know about this too.

Mar 24, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #906 of 1,794
The PSU is 24cm wide, 29cm deep, and ~10cm high (with feet).

My headphone cables are terminated with 1/4 inch connectors so would be interested to know about this too.
Source: Audio Myth - Balanced Headphone Amplifiers are Better

My understanding is that single-ended vs. balanced really only matters at the line level between DAC and amp. Headphone outputs, aside from contact resistance differences between XLR (BAL) and 1/4" TRS (SE), only seem to serve as conveniences when amplifiers feature both types. That said, some amplifiers report higher power output when using the XLR headphone port, so I suppose it just depends on the amplifier's circuit design?

I currently use a Flux FA-10 PRO, which features both XLR and RCA DAC inputs. It's a single-ended amplifier though, so both of its headphone ports end up delivering the same amount of power. I'm hoping it's a similar case for the CFA3.

(I could totally be wrong about some things here, so it would be appreciated if anyone with more insight can correct me.)

EDIT: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/does-balanced-more-power.696919/ (This thread seems to clear up misunderstandings for me. Basically, there wouldn't be any qualitative differences between the 1/4" TRS and XLR headphone outputs.)

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #907 of 1,794
Are there any performance or power drawbacks with using the CFA3's single-ended headphone output vs. XLR? Reason why I ask is because I have 6.35mm terminated cables for the Susvara and HE6SEV2. [Answered: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/does-balanced-more-power.696919/]

You should really consider balanced cable for your susvaras at least. It's a shame to have a balanced amp and only use half of it for SE duties. Might as well aim for a CFA2.

I can't hear any difference in sound quality between BAL and SE output even though some claim that BAL is superior. The bottom line is, practically, you can get away with using SE output with susvara/he6 on high gain. You would be somewhere around 12 o'clock on the volume knob with a moderate/high sound level.

Mar 24, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #908 of 1,794
You should really consider balanced cable for your susvaras at least. It's a shame to have a balanced amp and only use half of it for SE duties. Might as well aim for a CFA2.

I can't hear any difference in sound quality between BAL and SE output even though some claim that BAL is superior. The bottom line is, practically, you can get away with using SE output with susvara/he6 on high gain. You would be somewhere around 12 o'clock on the volume knob with a moderate/high sound level.
I have a balanced cable in production just for this amp! :)

Mar 25, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #910 of 1,794
It needs to be said (or profusely shouted from the mountain tops') that this amp is also amazing with the Susvaras - not just the TCs.

@normie610 - you were absolutely spot on!
Glad you get to experience the combo 😊 enjoy the Susvara!

Mar 31, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #911 of 1,794
I heard a rumor about a month back about a potential release from Headamp of the CFA3 design as an upgrade/TOTL option over the GSX Mk2 and GSX Mini. Is there any credibility to this rumor and if so when is the potential timing of said release?

I'm currently looking to upgrade my SS chain so looking at Volot, Soloist 3GT, Oor+Hypsos, Holo Bliss (pending 2Q release) and a few more options. I'd be interested in a CFA3 that is not DIY and comes from Headamp. I personally am anti DIY (my preference) when it comes to everything (Pi hats, speakers, amps, etc..) so have a strong preference for products coming from an actual company and willing to pay the markup.

Mar 31, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #912 of 1,794
I heard a rumor about a month back about a potential release from Headamp of the CFA3 design as an upgrade/TOTL option over the GSX Mk2 and GSX Mini. Is there any credibility to this rumor and if so when is the potential timing of said release?

I'm currently looking to upgrade my SS chain so looking at Volot, Soloist 3GT, Oor+Hypsos, Holo Bliss (pending 2Q release) and a few more options. I'd be interested in a CFA3 that is not DIY and comes from Headamp. I personally am anti DIY (my preference) when it comes to everything (Pi hats, speakers, amps, etc..) so have a strong preference for products coming from an actual company and willing to pay the markup.
Any release is likely slated for next year.

Mar 31, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #913 of 1,794
I'm also usually concerned about buying from DIY'ers; but Misralov (Duki) has such a good reputation, and he has been so so flexible, and professional, and straight with me, that I am extremely comfortable with my dealings with him. Justin is wonderful as well- but he won't personalize your amp and provide you the type of flexibility that Duki does. In addition, Duki seems to kind of be a borderline DIY'er. He really makes a lot of these and the operation is extremely professional. Where do I draw the line and call him a company?

Mar 31, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #914 of 1,794
I went with Misralov (Duki) based on the praise he has received on this thread. My experience so far has been amazing. Very courteous and professional with quick responses. He has been patient and gone out of his way to help.

In terms of communication, my experience with some companies has been very poor in comparison.

Mar 31, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #915 of 1,794
Has Miroslav played around with reducing the chassis size?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back