KG CFA3 headphone amp
Feb 24, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #887 of 1,794
Will there be any other CFA-3 Hybrid reviewers?
the amp is actually mine. I dont have my CFA3 any longer due to the hybrid coming in, so I had it sent first to paradoxper so that he could do a comparison review across what he has for everyone. I can do a review after a few weeks of receiving it, but I wont be able to do a comparison vs a cfa3 as it will be based off memory which is never good. My review will probably just be a love letter and comparison of stock tubes vs upgraded tubes that I have waiting for it.

Feb 24, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #888 of 1,794
the amp is actually mine. I dont have my CFA3 any longer due to the hybrid coming in, so I had it sent first to paradoxper so that he could do a comparison review across what he has for everyone. I can do a review after a few weeks of receiving it, but I wont be able to do a comparison vs a cfa3 as it will be based off memory which is never good. My review will probably just be a love letter and comparison of stock tubes vs upgraded tubes that I have waiting for it.
Thanks. I am actually interested in the stock vs upgraded comparison as I understand that one of the intentions of this build is that upgraded tubes should not make to much of a difference and that inexpensive tubes should sound very good.

Feb 24, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #889 of 1,794
Thanks. I am actually interested in the stock vs upgraded comparison as I understand that one of the intentions of this build is that upgraded tubes should not make to much of a difference and that inexpensive tubes should sound very good.
Curious what made you think tubes didn't make a difference?

Feb 24, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #890 of 1,794
This is what I understand from Misralov and Kevin Gilmore.- Not that it wont make any difference- but rather not a big difference.
Something to do with the fact that the tube section is not increasing gain by much. Please contact them them for an explanation because I am an idiot when it comes to technical understanding.

Feb 25, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #891 of 1,794
This is what I understand from Misralov and Kevin Gilmore.- Not that it wont make any difference- but rather not a big difference.
Something to do with the fact that the tube section is not increasing gain by much. Please contact them them for an explanation because I am an idiot when it comes to technical understanding.
I own an Icon HP8 and reached out to the owner of Icon to ask the question of how the tubes impact the sound. Which of the two types makes the bigger difference and how much difference does rolling tubes make. His response was that the circuit and transformer were 90% of the amps sound and that rolling tubes will provide different flavor but not necessarily better or worse sound. The differences in flavor added up to the +-10%. It is not a hybrid, but a pure triode tube amp.

I still want to try different tubes with it. I wonder if the CFA3 hybrid will operate similarly. Different flavor more than better or worse SQ.

Either way it sounds like the hybrid is a success.

Feb 25, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #892 of 1,794
I own an Icon HP8 and reached out to the owner of Icon to ask the question of how the tubes impact the sound. Which of the two types makes the bigger difference and how much difference does rolling tubes make. His response was that the circuit and transformer were 90% of the amps sound and that rolling tubes will provide different flavor but not necessarily better or worse sound. The differences in flavor added up to the +-10%. It is not a hybrid, but a pure triode tube amp.

I still want to try different tubes with it. I wonder if the CFA3 hybrid will operate similarly. Different flavor more than better or worse SQ.

Either way it sounds like the hybrid is a success.
I think we are far away from knowing how liked the Hybrid will be. We have one review of a brand new product and I'm not sure even if the review would be graded as incredible. I sometimes have trouble interpreting Paradoxpers's language. I actually enjoy trying to understand it- I find it very short and to the point, but I need to be on the ball to really be sure I am getting him.

Following is Kevin Gilmores message to me about the SS vs the Hybrid and about tubes for the Hybrid:
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
the tube input unit has a higher input impedance. it also has slightly higher noise. and probably higher thd, but not by much (i have never measured)

and there is no such thing as best tube. equivalent voltage gain is only 3 to 5 db so tube really does not matter much.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I got the impression from Dr. Gilmore in other correspondences as well that he is not gung-ho about NOS tubes in general.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #893 of 1,794
actually the tube input stage and amplifier are at least 7 years old. i will look later. it takes people a while to notice what i have published.

the megatron rebuild has shown me that some very expensive and rare tubes sometimes do sound slightly better than current production garbage.
but $400 for a single 12ax7 clone from the late 1950's does seem a bit much. and $1500 for a pair of output tubes (you need 4 pairs) is beyond insane.

Mar 5, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #896 of 1,794
IMG_0427.jpeg

... it is being born :wink:

Mar 12, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #897 of 1,794
Looks like Mr @Dukei did it again: can't wait for the shipment :L3000:

IMG_0429.JPG

Mar 12, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #898 of 1,794

Users who are viewing this thread

Back