KG CFA3 headphone amp
Dec 24, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #676 of 1,794
This would a great battle. Same output but different topologies. It would be nice to hear about some of their differences from a sound standpoint.
Output is slightly different. Volot is 16 watts into 32 ohms, CFA3 is 16 watts into 50 ohms. Potato Patato...:)

Dec 24, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #677 of 1,794
Done as in kaput?
Also as in bored and satisfied. I also still primarily listen to speakers. However, the pre tube rolling is definitely keeping me busy.

Dec 24, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #678 of 1,794
Dec 24, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #679 of 1,794
Still waiting for the CFA3/Volot comparo or face/off especially with regard to their individual ability to drive the Susvara, and I'll finally see some "light" at the tunnel... For me, this would be like a "winner" takes all match-up, and I would like to see the last amp standing (between these two contenders) after good knock-down drag out brawl of shootout (Keep in mind that I am just speaking of an ordinary old school shootout, in spite of the slightly colorful language)...

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like these two amps have ever been in one enthusiast's possession at the same time (correct me if I am wrong), to allow a comparative review and I wonder why. Is the CFA3 less reviewed or less likely to be reviewed by the usual reviewers of HPs on the open market simply because the CFA3 is in the DIY camp?
I don't own a Volot. But, I do own a Cembalo Spring 1. Kind of rare around these parts, but an insanely good amp. Cembalo is no longer and I have looked far and wide and can't find anyone else with this amp. I have done some comparisons against the CFA3. The CFA3 is a more complete amp. It is extremely balanced through the FR, especially in the lower registers and the way it transitions out of the midrange into the lower treble. It is extremely articulate, clean and absent of any glare. So is the Spring 1, which is powerful, clean and oh so musical. The Spring 1 is the most dynamic amp I have heard up until the CFA3. I absolutely love the Spring 1. The biggest difference between them is the size of the soundstage. The soundstage on the CFA3 has an enormous amount of depth both left to right and front to back to my ears. The Spring 1 is more closed in which gives the midrange an immediacy that I find quite fetching. Not better or worse, just different. However, the CFA3 is simply better. I am glad that I own both, but I think I will find myself listening to the CFA3 more and more. I have owned the Spring 1 for 18 months and it has been my main amp for the entire time. I know it inside and out. I am still learning the CFA3's charms. The Spring 1 is not the Volot, but has enough of the goods to be part of the conversation.

Dec 24, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #680 of 1,794
I don't own a Volot. But, I do own a Cembalo Spring 1. Kind of rare around these parts, but an insanely good amp. Cembalo is no longer and I have looked far and wide and can't find anyone else with this amp. I have done some comparisons against the CFA3. The CFA3 is a more complete amp. It is extremely balanced through the FR, especially in the lower registers and the way it transitions out of the midrange into the lower treble. It is extremely articulate, clean and absent of any glare. So is the Spring 1, which is powerful, clean and oh so musical. The Spring 1 is the most dynamic amp I have heard up until the CFA3. I absolutely love the Spring 1. The biggest difference between them is the size of the soundstage. The soundstage on the CFA3 has an enormous amount of depth both left to right and front to back to my ears. The Spring 1 is more closed in which gives the midrange an immediacy that I find quite fetching. Not better or worse, just different. However, the CFA3 is simply better. I am glad that I own both, but I think I will find myself listening to the CFA3 more and more. I have owned the Spring 1 for 18 months and it has been my main amp for the entire time. I know it inside and out. I am still learning the CFA3's charms. The Spring 1 is not the Volot, but has enough of the goods to be part of the conversation.
So how would you describe the bass on the CFA3? Does it have presence, texture, and slam without sounding bloated or boomy? Conversely, do you detect anything "thin" about it, however remotely?

Dec 24, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #681 of 1,794
So how would you describe the bass on the CFA3? Does it have presence, texture, and slam without sounding bloated or boomy? Conversely, do you detect anything "thin" about it, however remotely?
Bass is extremely fast, tactile and defined. I can hear the pluck of the pick or fingers against the bass strings. It is not boomy or bloated at all. It is not a romantic or overly euphonic bass sound. I personally can’t stand midbass bloat or bloom. I find it slow and out of place. The CFA3’s bass is the best I have heard from an amp. Incredibly clean and realistic. If the song slams, it slams. It has all the subtlety I like in music.

In terms of thin, I wouldn’t say that either. It has a big soundstage so the midrange feels more like you are standing in front of the SBD at the Fillmore in SF versus standing in the first 10 rows. The amp is not very colored. Pretty neutral, glare free and balanced.

Dec 24, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #682 of 1,794
Bass is extremely fast, tactile and defined. I can hear the pluck of the pick or fingers against the bass strings. It is not boomy or bloated at all. It is not a romantic or overly euphonic bass sound. I personally can’t stand midbass bloat or bloom. I find it slow and out of place. The CFA3’s bass is the best I have heard from an amp. Incredibly clean and realistic. If the song slams, it slams. It has all the subtlety I like in music.

In terms of thin, I wouldn’t say that either. It has a big soundstage so the midrange feels more like you are standing in front of the SBD at the Fillmore in SF versus standing in the first 10 rows. The amp is not very colored. Pretty neutral, glare free and balanced.
Nice! I felt like asking about the bass, because I just read someone's first impressions of the Volot, and the bass is the only aspect of the Volot that they're not completely thrilled with. He called the Volot in turns, "neutral in the bass," "not the best amp for bass impact," and saw this as the Volot's "one downside."

I am ordinarily not one to jump to hard and fast conclusions after reading one person's impressions on head-fi about any component, but if I am being honest, reading that bit has cooled my interest somewhat in the Volot... I am no basshead, but I find bass/bass impact (or bass done right) to be almost religiously essential to any music listening experience... It's one reason I have always stayed away from most e-stats, in spite of my genuine curiosity about them---It seems there are always some people who find bass in e-stat headphones to be "meh," no matter how great sounding they're reputed to be...

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #683 of 1,794
Nice! I felt like asking about the bass, because I just read someone's first impressions of the Volot, and the bass is the only aspect of the Volot that they're not completely thrilled with. He called the Volot in turns, "neutral in the bass," "not the best amp for bass impact," and saw this as the Volot's "one downside."

I am ordinarily not one to jump to hard and fast conclusions after reading one person's impressions on head-fi about any component, but if I am being honest, reading that bit has cooled my interest somewhat in the Volot... I am no basshead, but I find bass/bass impact (or bass done right) to be almost religiously essential to any music listening experience... It's one reason I have always stayed away from most e-stats, in spite of my genuine curiosity about them---It seems there are always some people who find bass in e-stat headphones to be "meh," not matter how great sounding they're reputed to be...
Understand what you are saying. I am not a basshead either, but love when the bass is perfectly rendered. I listen to mostly live music, so for me, I look for gear that recreates what a show or concert sounds like. The CFA3 does that impeccably well.

Dec 24, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #684 of 1,794

I am ordinarily not one to jump to hard and fast conclusions after reading one person's impressions on head-fi about any component, but if I am being honest, reading that bit has cooled my interest somewhat in the Volot... I am no basshead, but I find bass/bass impact (or bass done right) to be almost religiously essential to any music listening experience... It's one reason I have always stayed away from most e-stats, in spite of my genuine curiosity about them---It seems there are always some people who find bass in e-stat headphones to be "meh," not matter how great sounding they're reputed to be...
I would love to hear the Volot, but I suspect the CFA3 is the superior amp. My opinion is uninformed, though.

Dec 25, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #686 of 1,794
Does the protection board affect the sound? Anybody tested? My CFA does not have protection and seems I need it, it just burned a second time =( But I love the sound
What do you mean burned?

Dec 25, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #688 of 1,794
Did you build your own? I don't know of anyone without the protection board. Let us know how it goes if you end up testing it! Would be interesting to see if there is any difference.

Dec 25, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #689 of 1,794
Did you build your own? I don't know of anyone without the protection board. Let us know how it goes if you end up testing it! Would be interesting to see if there is any difference.
Mine is from Felitsa Audio. I doubt I will be able to remember the difference once it will be repaired and installed, but I'll try :)
By the way, can someone sell me that board? Possibly it will be quicker than to order a custom one

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #690 of 1,794
Mine is from Felitsa Audio. I doubt I will be able to remember the difference once it will be repaired and installed, but I'll try :)
That's a shame. Felitsa Audio has been flagged by the community for providing very, very bad builds. Your parts were likely swapped for something under spec which is why it's failed twice. You should look and sending it to an approved Gilmore community builder to evaluate what needs to be repaired with your amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back