KG CFA3 headphone amp
Dec 28, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #706 of 1,794
fortunately the boards can be either repaired or replaced. my guess is that it is quicker to build new boards with real parts than to try and fix the old boards.

going thru all that effort on the chassis only to save a few dollars on substitute parts seems really foolish.

Dec 28, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #707 of 1,794
That's what poverty labor and incompetent greed amounts to.

You get exactly what you pay for.

The expense of ignorance.

Dec 28, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #710 of 1,794
Dec 29, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #711 of 1,794
Ah, that's exactly why it's said "looks can be deceiving."
Admittedly, I have seen some Felitsa Dynahi and Dynalo's on audio mart that looked fantastic from the outside. But, knowing what they look like inside I think I am a hard pass.

Jan 5, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #712 of 1,794
Paradoxper, I was wondering if you could share with us your choice as a reference system. Meaning- dac, headphone amp. and headphones. Cost-no-object, in all your experience what is the best you have ever heard? Also- what would be your reference budget system? By budget, I do not mean inexpensive but rather I mean within the realm of a reference system- looking at price vs performance, what would be your dac, amp., and headphone choice. Also- how close would the "budget system" get to the cost no object system?

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #713 of 1,794
Paradoxper, I was wondering if you could share with us your choice as a reference system. Meaning- dac, headphone amp. and headphones. Cost-no-object, in all your experience what is the best you have ever heard? Also- what would be your reference budget system? By budget, I do not mean inexpensive but rather I mean within the realm of a reference system- looking at price vs performance, what would be your dac, amp., and headphone choice. Also- how close would the "budget system" get to the cost no object system?
That's tough. Really.
With so many qualifiers aside from just cost, and sliding preference and musical selection:

Best system:
Kevin Gilmore DIY T2, Berkeley Audio Design Reference 2, SR-009, SR-Omega (mine)
Eddie Current Studio T, MSB Analog DAC, HD800SDR
Trafomatic Primavera, Berkeley Audio Design Reference 3, 1266 TC (mine)
Kevin Gilmore Megatron, Schiit Yggdrasil (OG), SR-009
DNA Stellaris, Schiit Yggdrasil (OG), HD800
HE1

With a budget reference, It'd have to be piecemeal in some order:
CFA3 / Auris Audio Nirvana > Yggdrasil (OG) / Holo Audio May / Rockna Wavedream > 1266 TC / HD800 / Susvara
KGSSHV / KGSSHV Carbon / KGST / Megatron / BHSE > 009's / 007's / Lambda's

As to how close the budget components reach the counterparts, very.

I'd add a third list of targeted budget, no size constraints adding more speaker amplifiers

I'd add a fourth list denoting a less reference preference and add Verite Closed, D8000 and Solitaire P

I'd add a final fifth of niche ultimate reference and budget with true noteworthy deficiency which is the SR1a. Pair it with any components.

I'd finally clarify, the subjective preference is most important. Some hate plastic STAX, some hate playnar. You know.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #714 of 1,794
That's tough. Really.
With so many qualifiers aside from just cost, and sliding preference and musical selection:

Best system:
Kevin Gilmore DIY T2, Berkeley Audio Design Reference 2, SR-009, SR-Omega (mine)
HE1

CFA3 / Auris Audio Nirvana > Yggdrasil (OG) / Holo Audio May / Rockna Wavedream > 1266 TC / HD800 / Susvara

I'd add a third list of targeted budget, no size constraints adding more speaker amplifiers

I'd add a fourth list denoting a less reference preference and add Verite Closed, D8000 and Solitaire P

I'd add a final fifth of niche ultimate reference and budget with true noteworthy deficiency which is the SR1a. Pair it with any components.

I'd finally clarify, the subjective preference is most important. Some hate plastic STAX, some hate playnar. You know.
Thank you so much. Very Helpful.. You have some much experience with so much equipment- and your analysis is very valuable.

Jan 5, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #715 of 1,794
PSA:
Unless build specifications alter please follow general practice.

Amp must be turned off when changing headphones and when switching from SE / XLR input.

Drive one headphone load at a time. Do not use SE and XLR output simultaneously.

Please turn your amp off for extended time of leave.

Jan 5, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #716 of 1,794
That's tough. Really.

Best system:
HE1

Very interesting, but here are a few related scattered observations of note from which I am drawing zero conclusions for now:

1. I find it striking that some items in your signature do not appear either in the "cost-no-object" or "budget" listings: notably, the Valkyria, the Diana TC, and the LCD-5 (These are just the absentees that I find striking. It is by no means an exhaustive list).

2. All the Yggdrasils on the listings are marked as the original. None of the tweaked versions seem to have made the cut, which is making me second guess the status of my YggyA2 (with my still uninstalled Unison USB module--its being still uninstalled must be one more evidence of "da bizarro" of life on head-fi)

3. The CFA3, which I have been eyeing with some keen interest for months now does not make the "Best system" cut. I do not know what to make of this finding, even though it seems like an interesting data point, because I have it listed as the next, and probably "last" head amp I am going to get. I do not think its appearance on the "budget" list is necessarily a bad thing, but as you can see, I am already in second-guessing mode as far as it is concerned, and I do not know exactly why.

4. I have found my favorite expression for the day in your signature : the "bizarre world of head-fi." Thanks for it.

5. I am tempted to think, that the real takeaway from these listings is that the ultimate endgame holy grail of rigs does not exist, and that all the joys of the hobby can only ever express and exhaust themselves in the proverbial chase, but I am staying my hand because of my promise to draw zero conclusions from this read. I also don't think that the idea that only the chase ultimately matters is going to surprise anyone at this point

Note: this is all for real! Absolutely no trolling intended.

Many thanks again, for this enlightening contribution.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #717 of 1,794
Very interesting, but a few observations of note from which I am drawing zero conclusions:

1. I find it striking that some items in your signature do not appear either in the cost-no-object or budget listings: notably, the Valkyria, the Diana TC, and the LCD-5 (These are just the absentees that I find striking. It is by no means an exhaustive list).

2. All the Yggdrasils on the listings are marked as the original. None of the tweaked versions seem to have made the cut, which is making me second guess the status of my YggyA2 (with my still uninstalled Unison USB module--its being still uninstalled must be one more evidence of "da bizarro" of life on head-fi)

3. The CFA3, which I have been eyeing with some keen interest for months now does not make the "Best system" cut. I do not know what to make of this finding, even though it seems like an interesting data point, because I have it listed as the next, and probably "last" head amp I am going to get. I do not think its appearance on the "budget" list is necessarily a bad thing, but as you can see, I am already in second-guessing mode as far as it is concerned, and I do not know exactly why.

4. I have found my favorite expression for the day in your signature : the "bizarre world of head-fi." Thanks for it.

5. I am tempted to think, that the real takeaway from these listings is that the ultimate endgame holy grail of rigs does not exist, and that all the joys of the hobby can only ever express and exhaust themselves in the proverbial chase, but I am staying my hand because of my promise to draw zero conclusions from this read. I also think that the idea that only the chase ultimately matters is going to surprise anyone at this point

End Game doesn’t exist. It’s a myth. Very cute, though. Our senses are constantly improving and evolving. They are like muscles. The more you use the better they get. The more I listen the more I evolve and the more I seek different things to match my current sensibilities.

Paradoxper’s list is extensive and fantastic. I took as if any on the list are probably a system worth trying. Not for everyone, music, environment and budget depending. CFA is a deal in comparison to commercial amps. But, with SQ as good as you will find in a SS amp.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #718 of 1,794
Very interesting, but here are a few related scattered observations of note from which I am drawing zero conclusions for now:

1. I find it striking that some items in your signature do not appear either in the "cost-no-object" or "budget" listings: notably, the Valkyria, the Diana TC, and the LCD-5 (These are just the absentees that I find striking. It is by no means an exhaustive list).

5. I am tempted to think, that the real takeaway from these listings is that the ultimate endgame holy grail of rigs does not exist, and that all the joys of the hobby can only ever express and exhaust themselves in the proverbial chase, but I am staying my hand because of my promise to draw zero conclusions from this read. I also think that the idea that only the chase ultimately matters is going to surprise anyone at this point

You say striking, I say stark which is what my criteria is based upon.

I don't remark the Valkyria as a TOTL performer nor is it budget friendly. A niche performer, certainly.
The LCD-5, for example, does not qualify as a reference for me personally. Nor the Diana unless both under qualifiers.

2. That's just how it is. I enjoyed an ECP DSHA3 > Ygg2 > Utopia, VC...

3. Qualifiers exist in my world, it would make the cut for best solid-state amplification I've heard. A top-five list is succinct as am I.

4. Thank the wonderfully quip tongued Steve Eddy.

5. Expand your referential experiences and conclude your own truths.

Noted. And never anticipated. You have an ethereal aura to your thoughts which I enjoy reading.

Enough ball sucking, nut riding. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #719 of 1,794
You say striking, I say stark which is what my criteria is based upon.

I don't remark the Valkyria as a TOTL performer nor is it budget friendly. A niche performer, certainly.
The LCD-5, for example, does not qualify as a reference for me personally. Nor the Diana unless both under qualifiers.

2. That's just how it is. I enjoyed an ECP DSHA3 > Ygg2 > Utopia, VC...

3. Qualifiers exist in my world, it would make the cut for best solid-state amplification I've heard. A top-five list is succinct as am I.

4. Thank the wonderfully quip tongued Steve Eddy.

5. Expand your referential experiences and conclude your own truths.

Noted. And never anticipated. You have an ethereal aura to your thoughts which I enjoy reading.

Enough ball sucking, nut riding. :kissing_smiling_eyes:
:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Jan 5, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #720 of 1,794
PSA:
Unless build specifications alter please follow general practice.

Amp must be turned off when changing headphones and when switching from SE / XLR input.

Drive one headphone load at a time. Do not use SE and XLR output simultaneously.

Please turn your amp off for extended time of leave.
Out of curiosity why is this the case?
Seemingly true as a friend of mine ordered a CFA3 and had it shipped to me first to try out. Was sounding lovely, but then the next day whilst changing headphones it went up in smoke.

Builder has offered to pay for return shipping and to fix it so no worries there, he's been super helpful, but would be good to know why this is the case from a design standpoint just so that users can prevent it happening.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back