KG CFA3 headphone amp
Jul 27, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #167 of 1,794
Interesting mention of the 3F, have you compared it with the GS-X MK2 before?
I've heard the GS-X incarnations throughout the years. And I've always felt the Dynahi held the upper-hand.

I also feel the 3F is only a dynamic amplifier. It does not drive planars well. The planned 4F should be a better, more encompassing representation.
CFA is capable to drive SR1a? Wow
I say doubtfully well. Convenience has a price or concession. Use the uberamp or raalstar or other direct-drive.

However, I'll put it to test for reference. My LCD-R also arrives today which I will try with CFA3.

Jul 27, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #168 of 1,794
Will you make a box or custom cable? Wonder how "happy" the cfa3 will be if u connect it direct with a 2ohm load. The sr1a box simulates a 6 ohm load correct?

Jul 27, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #169 of 1,794
Will you make a box or custom cable? Wonder how "happy" the cfa3 will be if u connect it direct with a 2ohm load. The sr1a box simulates a 6 ohm load correct?
No extras. Just use a adapter for the cable. I did ask Kevin about designing a different interface -- under what context that may change, I'm unsure.

The initial numbers surmised with the 8-4ohm load with respected RAAL Interface(s) versions were a little off. I also asked Kevin about these and understanding the parts values i.e. power supply rails and output limits, with no protection oversight, these lower ohm loads would only make for poor performance. Safely.

Jul 27, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #170 of 1,794
I've given up on the pursuit of the one amp to drive all given the different hp sound characteristics and sensitivity and impedance etc., I'm more inclined now to have one set of headphones which is generally good for most music types (TC) and then have the one proper amp to drive it best (hopefully the CFA3). If out of boredom or for convenience I use my dynamic driver hps, I still have my 2 channel Beta 22 and possibly a tube amp later on.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #174 of 1,794
Sep 1, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #175 of 1,794
Thought I'd wake this board up. Something's cookin' in chef Dukei's kitchen...

Front Fascia 1.JPG
Rear Panel Mockup.jpg

This is a 2U case with only 300mm depth and it fits everything (I hope :D) that makes up a balanced CFA3 amp. Wait till you get a load of what's inside. :)

Sep 1, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #176 of 1,794

This is a 2U case with only 300mm depth and it fits everything (I hope :D) that makes up a balanced CFA3 amp. Wait till you get a load of what's inside. :)
Looks great, Edric. Glad to see Miroslav is keeping busy.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #177 of 1,794

Front Fascia 1.JPGRear Panel Mockup.jpg

That looks great! cant wait to hear your impressions and see it all together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back