KG CFA3 headphone amp
Jul 7, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #151 of 1,794
Re an SMD version of the CFA3 - pretty sure I saw @Kerry on Head-case post pics of an SMD prototype on there..
Hope Dukei doesn't mind me sharing it here but we're currently doing an SMD build of the CFA3 that lets us use a shorter and narrower case (the 400mm depth was just too big!). It's a 3U high case but the best part is it allows us to flat lay the amp boards on the side heatsinks for a real amp-like look inside. With this there's so much space left inside it gives you a lot of upgrade options like going dual torroid, relay type attenuator, possibly even a dac board if you fancy that. The overall compactness of the amp is a big deal given they'll most likely end up on a desktop for most users and is one of the reasons I'm moving away from using speaker amps for my TC without losing the power.
Thank you, for sharing that information.

I previously had been waiting, to know of an update for that SMD version for that CFA3, since I previously had discovered that post, within that forum.

I am happy to know that there had been more progress for that SMD version for that CFA3.

Jul 20, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #152 of 1,794
So...it has finally come down to this. I need a daily driver amp... My WA33 EE JPS gets so hot it cooks my office and I also don't want to put so many useless "non-listening" hours on the tubes running them 8+ hrs a day. I'm looking for maximum versatility that can drive at least two demanding speakers, the Abyss TCs, and the Raal SR1as (not at the same time).

I just sent @Dukei a PM to see if he could notionally build what I am looking for and to get a rough cost estimate. However, given my use case, do you gents think the CFA3/custom route would be the best way to go over something like a Moon 600i V2. Can the CFA3 or 600i V2 actually compete with the WA33 EE's level of sound quality?

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #154 of 1,794
I've tried the SuSy Dynahi (to which the CFA3 is supposedly on par, if not better) and I've tried the WA33 JPS edition (I haven't tried the EE). I think they are comparable but they do present sound differently.
Thanks for the feedback! Would you so kind as to expand on how they present differently and what the main characteristics are? I'm quite interested in learning what I'm getting myself into before actually getting myself into it :)

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #155 of 1,794
Thanks for the feedback! Would you so kind as to expand on how they present differently and what the main characteristics are? I'm quite interested in learning what I'm getting myself into before actually getting myself into it :)

So keep in mind I listened to the WA33 on the stock tubes. Here are some of the notable differences that I remember.

WA33:
  • Better Z-axis imaging, a bit more depth (what you'd expect from a tube amp vs SS)
  • Slight grain to sound compared to none on the Dynahi
  • More laid back and relaxed sounding
  • On the warmer side though not to the point where you lose out on any details

Dynahi:
  • Faster sounding
  • Wider soundstage
  • Tighter and Harder bass with more slam
  • More intense and "in your face"
  • Blacker background

Jul 24, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #156 of 1,794
hey guys.. @littlej0e pointed me to this thread (thanks!)

will the cfa3 be overkill for the Utopia?

Jul 24, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #160 of 1,794
People are speculating about the Utopias performance with this amp. Has anyone actually heard the pairing? Curious to know why several think it will not be a good pairing.

I am happy with all things KG (I have a Carbon, GSX Mini, GSX MK2 and am waiting for my commissioned T2 to be finished). I am now starting to think about a final end game (or semi end game) amp for my Utopias. The GSX MK2 does well however I am curious as to the next step.

Jul 24, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #161 of 1,794
People are speculating about the Utopias performance with this amp. Has anyone actually heard the pairing? Curious to know why several think it will not be a good pairing.

I am happy with all things KG (I have a Carbon, GSX Mini, GSX MK2 and am waiting for my commissioned T2 to be finished). I am now starting to think about a final end game (or semi end game) amp for my Utopias. The GSX MK2 does well however I am curious as to the next step.
The impedance makes it a tricky pairing. I've enjoyed the Utopia for what it is out of the DSHA-3F the most. I've still yet to hear its strength truly exploited that includes out of a WA33 which is mushy and does Utopia favors.

Why I feel the CFA3 is not a Utopian match? The CFA3 is too forward and transparent. I feel the Utopia has a very big timbre issue which is only exacerbated by a very real lack of warmth. This, too, gleamed from my past pairing of SuSy Dynahi with Utopia.

If you aren't starting with the CFA3 and a TC, you are doing it wrong.

But, I, too, thought the CFA3 would not be a good match to drive the SR1a, and some crazy friends are proving me wrong. Ha.

Jul 24, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #162 of 1,794
But, I, too, thought the CFA3 would not be a good match to drive the SR1a, and some crazy friends are proving me wrong. Ha
Now this sounds very encouraging indeed 😁

Jul 24, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #163 of 1,794
The impedance makes it a tricky pairing. I've enjoyed the Utopia for what it is out of the DSHA-3F the most. I've still yet to hear its strength truly exploited that includes out of a WA33 which is mushy and does Utopia favors.

Why I feel the CFA3 is not a Utopian match? The CFA3 is too forward and transparent. I feel the Utopia has a very big timbre issue which is only exacerbated by a very real lack of warmth. This, too, gleamed from my past pairing of SuSy Dynahi with Utopia.

But, I, too, thought the CFA3 would not be a good match to drive the SR1a, and some crazy friends are proving me wrong. Ha.

I have a dukei build and it’s sublime with the TC. I could not get the utopia to work without a background buzz so not an option if that’s your HP. It’s fantastic for sennheiser offerings too.

Jul 25, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #164 of 1,794

Interesting mention of the 3F, have you compared it with the GS-X MK2 before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back