Keyboards?
Apr 20, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #76 of 235
My keyboard > ALL OTHER KEYBOARDS!
I RULE
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #77 of 235
967418-0403__2.jpg

Logitech LX700 combo. The mouse is practically a wireless version of the MX518 but its quite a bit heavier. Its the only keyboard/mouse combo I've seen that has a mouse charging station. The LX710 is a hack-job of an improvement over the LX700. I've had it for 3 years and have no plans of upgrading anytime soon!

EDIT: You can also look at the MX Duo but is also very hard to find. I wish they would do a revision of either one and resell it!

Apr 22, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #78 of 235
I'm still on the search for a good keyboard.

I'm currently using a BTC Mini keyboard. I like the feel, but the layout sucks.
key6100.jpg

I recently tried a Razer Lycosa, but have had major issues with it... May try getting it replaced.

Apr 22, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #79 of 235
The best keyboard I have ever used is actually on my Lenovo Thinkpad t61 laptop. On my desktop G15, which I consider pretty darn good compared to most of what is out there right now, I can get 110wpm with 95% accuracy. On my thinkpad, it's around 120-130wmp 98%accuracy.

What is strange is that I hate normal laptop keyboards and suck at typing on them. I don't type traditionally so that may have something to do with it.

I seriously wish they made the thinkpad keyboards for the desktop.

Apr 22, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #80 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently tried a Razer Lycosa, but have had major issues with it... May try getting it replaced.

What was wrong with it?

Has anyone else used keyboards that they've despised for one reason or another?
tongue.gif

Apr 22, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #81 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What was wrong with it?

Has anyone else used keyboards that they've despised for one reason or another?
tongue.gif

Well. Some things a bout it are great... The keys have a really nice almost rubberized coating on them that feels nice to type on. Backlight is dim, but still effective enough in darkness. The key stroke is near perfect. Light and short but still with plenty of tactile feedback.

My problem is in the execution of of the media keys.. They are in a touch pad of sorts. Thats not so bad, but the problem is that the touchpad doesn't work all the time. Sometimes my volume up button worked, sometimes it didn't... etc. On top of that, the keyboard is really light to the extent that it feels a lot like a toy. The fact the keyboard 'bends' when you press on the center isn't at all inspiring either. Really, I was just super disapointed with the quallity of the keyboard considering it cost 80.00.

There have been a lot of problems with it as far as I can tell. Some people are having problems with the keyboard not initializing peoperly when the computer boots up or having keys get stuck. You would think Razer would get their crap together.

I've been looking at this Everglide keyboard as a replacement:
dkt-main.jpg

Everglide - Professional Gaming Products - Everglide™ DKTBoard Aluminium Gaming Keyboard

Apr 24, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #83 of 235
I use one of these. Bit of a war-horse, has served me well for about 4 years, but is suffering. The little plastic feet that lift it to a usable typing angle are busted (halved squash-balls are serving that function for the moment) but other than that it's fine.
DSCF1586.jpg

The big problem with it is the move to mac. I bought a mac mini, and the keyboard works 99.9% perfect. The media keys even work instantly, and far more reliably than they ever did under windows! The problem is the mac layout for the @ symbol. In windows, and on the windows keyboard it's on "shift + 2", but in mac, it's on "shift + ' ". Essentially, the mac layout is much better as it puts both quotes on the same button, but I just can't make my brain learn the swap. I get as far as remembering it's in the "wrong" place, but then glance down to check, and then of course see the symbol on the key, and tap it. (Nor can I force my Mac to do the swap for me, it's being too clever for it's own good.)Yeah, ridiculous I know, on both fronts.

This feeble mental agility means I am probably going to succumb and get an apple keyboard, but which one? I am a fan of wireless, but of course, the wireless keyboard has been made all small and pretty, and they have lost the number pad on the right. No thanks. Ho hum... back to the drawing board.

EDIT: Ah, curse my head-fi ways. I couldn't resist the shiny aluminium goodness of the apple keyboard, and bought one anyway. (wired, so I keep the num-pad)

Apr 25, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #84 of 235
I'm liking my new Logitech Ultra X - cheap, laptop type keys in a full size layout.. cheap too. And Quiet! Those Microsoft ones have the noisiest space bar ever.

May 5, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #86 of 235
They'll have to pry my black IBM Model M13s out of my cold dead fingers before I give them up. Just thinking about typing on a membrane-based keyboard makes my wrists hurt. I'd been using the beige ones since the Stone Age and happened to find two brand new black M13s in a cabinet in the office I inherited during a cleanout. They look so purty with the rest of my setup, and the built-in Trackpoint is so nice for those days when I don't want to take my hands off the keyboard. Do yourself a favor, and don't waste your time with anything else out there right now. Pick yourself up a Model M secondhand or even new over at IBM model M keyboards and don't look back.

May 8, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #88 of 235
I use a Unicomp keyboard. They bought the design rights and tooling from IBM/Lexmark when they stopped making the Model M.

It's a modern day Model M with Windows Keys and a USB cable:

pckeyboards_1996_1065677

May 12, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #89 of 235
I'm another member of the IBM Model M club
biggrin.gif

Mine's made August 28, 1997
I've been using it nonstop since August 2004.

It's PS/2, but luckily HP laptop docking stations come with PS/2 ports

I've spilled things in it before, and used it a ton, and the only casualty is that the 5 on the num pad doesn't work that well... it doesn't 'click' anymore, so it's kinda weird to use.
Sometime it can be inconvenient to not have a windows key, but otherwise, this thing rocks.

I have 3 identical ones that I got from my high school when my friends and I were helping the IT guy clean out old parts... it was a big box they were throwing away... I only grabbed 3 because I needed to carry them home on my bike, but I should have taken the box.

A year or two later, I added a 1984 model (with detachable curly wire) that I got for like a dollar at a flea market.

my roommate complains about how noisy it is, but I don't care.

Mine has really odd keys... I've never seen another one like it. It's got all the normal symbols, but then there's a second set in green. And the 'enter' on the numpad is bright orange. They're kinda a weird selection.
If anyone knows what they mean, I'd be interested in knowing.

IMG_0292.jpg

May 17, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #90 of 235
That's pretty bizarre indeed, pretty sick layout you could get out of that though, I mean it has characters like thorn along with greek ones.

You, sir, have found the ultimate keyboard, lol.

thorn is on U, eth is on shifted on S and W and lowercase gamma is on C, lowercase alpha is on a, est-tset is on B, it also has accents like the one on cedilla on J those are all the ones I know off-hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back