Keyboards?
Apr 3, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #61 of 235
Chiming in for the KeyTronic. I have a vintage Ergo Force that I've been using for years, just can't get rid of it since all new keyboard feel like crap.

I have used the old IBM clicky keyboard long time ago. It is nice but not nicer than the KeyTronic mechanism, just different and really noisy.

I also have a generic keyboard that I used for a while which is really thin profiled (like laptop keyboard, but without the thick bottom end). I actually find it more relaxing but the mushy keys killed it for me.

As for more "ergonomic" keyboards, it just won't work in games where I have to hunt for function keys all over the place.

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #62 of 235
I used an ICL from 1993 for the longest time. I can't find a picture of a whole keyboard though, instead a fine detail is awaiting later. An opportunity acrossed and I bought a Mk1 Das Keyboard, a "dassy" as I would say. I really thought it was nothing but some highly overpriced labeless keyboard. I was proven wrong the first keying I did. It really has the pressure rates right and it is enormously enjoyable to write with.

(Click for bigger)

It is very loud! The similarity to old IBM boards is very high. Too loud, actually. Using this keyboard would have meant losing my secret night sessions on IRC. There was an other con as I live in Finland and we use different key layout. We use 105-key layout, the board is US-styled 104-keyed version. So unless I change to US layout I can't use it effectively. So, I returned it. I keep longing it as it has the style, the speed and the sound.

Das Keyboard out, ICL left. Over time I found it was heavy to type at and too sluggish, if you will. I was practically forced to find a new keyboard that would be more effecient in modern style using. I ended up with Logitech, which name I never remember. It's flat keyed and it certainly is light and enjoyable piece.

Maybe some day I might put the 100 euros again for the Das Keyboard. This time the model will be an European 105-key model, and Mk 2. The second coming doesn't look as sexy as the first mark though.

Here's the old banger of mine. It's still safe .. somewhere. In addition, in the same condition. Too much trouble to clean it up.

(Click for bigger)

Apr 8, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #63 of 235
I've also now got a Microsoft Natural Pro at work. $0.25 for a USB Ergo keyboard at the local college surplus store was too much for me to pass up even if the keys were a bit grimy - I'm cleaning them off bit by bit, but its typing feel is VERY similar to my Natural 4000 at home (except that the y key actually works all the time....) I'm loving it.

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #64 of 235
Saitek Eclipse II...

eclipseii.jpg

Apr 12, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #66 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomikans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mean .. Is there any reason to buy another keyboard other than looks and comfort? Maybe extra options.. but all you need is is the basic buttons imo.

Comfort is huge. For those of us who use our keyboards for long stretches of the day, it's very important. On a good ergo, I type faster, my wrists are more relaxed, and everything's overall better. And if it delays Carpal Tunnel a few years, that's well worth it to me.

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #68 of 235
i'm also using a Logitech G15. i've been wanting to try a Das or Deck keyboard, but i just can't seem to get myself to ditch the LCD. after having it for so long, i don't think i could live without it. so useful!

i also want to learn how to type dvorak, but it's hard to do without an unlabeled keyboard. i tried for about 5 days once, then i quit lol

Apr 16, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #69 of 235
I don't basically understand the hype of that Optimus keyboard. How many of us look to the keyboard while typing anyway? Anyway, I'm sure the main buyer group doesn't have to look at the letters.

Apr 19, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #71 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't basically understand the hype of that Optimus keyboard. How many of us look to the keyboard while typing anyway? Anyway, I'm sure the main buyer group doesn't have to look at the letters.

it's for those people who buy things to show off to others

Apr 19, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #72 of 235
I've been using the same keys since 2000, the Logitech Corless Desktop Pro:

262_452_KitTastMouLogitechDesktopPro.jpg

Although lately I have been contemplating the Microsoft Natural 4000, for no other reason than it looks awful goofy having this old beige/blue keyboard on a desk full of black/silver items (blue and orange if you count the G5).

I really like the G5 mouse, it just fits my hand very nicely indeed, and the finish is a welcome change from that of most mice. I was quite happy with the MX1000 for a few years until it broke. Logitech sent me an MX Revolution as a replacement. That lasted about two weeks, as it was to narrow for my hands and made my arms start to hurt after a while.

Apr 19, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #73 of 235
Mmm.. I have an old keyboard (about 6-7 years now) and every time that I think of upgrading, I go and try other keyboards, and it's just not the same. The layout is very rare, plus the multimedia/internet buttons are really good, all the logitech/microsoft/other made them not comfy to use :S
Anyway, I use the A4Tech KeyWorks Office
a4techkbs811d83b5bpb6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back