Keyboard-Fi
Nov 6, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #196 of 2,075
I used to want the Logitech Illuminated, but caught the Apple gear bug recently, so I now own two of their slim aluminium keyboard with number-pad sets
redface.gif
. I like the soft, laptop like keystroke, & the design of course.

Previously I had a bamboo keyboard + bamboo mouse set, but the build quality wasn't that good, & lacked special function keys.

Nov 6, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #197 of 2,075
I've always found the apple keyboards to be awkward to use. Too flat, I also don't like chiclet style keyboards in general so meh.

Logitech illuminated is awesome, along with the mx revolution, don't think I'll be upgrading either for a while. 

Nov 6, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #198 of 2,075
Well, since my girlfriend sanely hasn't caught the Apple gear bug, I likely will buy her the Logitech Illuminated, and will then be able to feel the difference. Her old noisy Packard Bell keyboard could do with a replacement all right! I successfully built her a new powerful & nicely silent desktop computer to replace her old, and only the keyboard & monitor need upgrading now. I'd started talking her into a large wide screen Asus LCD monitor, but since I've become accustomed to IPS monitors, I'll try to talk her into another brand that has IPS for cheaper than Apple
wink.gif
Mouse-wise we both like Thanko's Silent Mouse EX very much, although I do admit I wish its build quality was more Logitech-like.

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #199 of 2,075

Quote:
I've always found the apple keyboards to be awkward to use. Too flat, I also don't like chiclet style keyboards in general so meh.

Yeah, I don't like chiclet style keyboards that much either. I'm in a class that uses Xcode for iPhone development. I set my Thinkpad in front of the Macs in lab instead of dealing with the aluminum Apple keyboard and unresponsive "mighty mouse". I'd much rather use a slower OSX virtual machine than the real thing if those peripherals are involved.

Nov 7, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #200 of 2,075
I must admit I had to look up chiclet-style keyboard, but it ventured an interesting read on computer keyboard technology and got me all interested in Topre products again...

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #201 of 2,075
Some absolutely beautiful pictures of keyboards up there, gentlemen. 
I've been eyeing mechanical keyboards for a while, and think I want to take the dive. 
I've come down to the Das Silent Model S for its Cherry MX Brown switches. 
It's supplied at NCIX (Which is fairly close to me, in store pickup) but out of stock (I can wait). The reason I've come down to this one is because it uses the Cherry MX Brown Switches, it's fairly priced ($125), and I can get it locally and can even price match it for about $115 (If any of the other online retailers get stock anytime soon). I've looked at Deck Keyboards, Filco Keyboards and a number of other manufacturers, but the Deck keyboards use black/clear switches, and a Filco will run me $40 or so in shipping.So can anybody educate me on my choice? I'm essentially looking for a mechanical keyboard that uses Cherry MX Brown switches and one I can get it into Canada with a reasonable price shipped/picked up (around $150 and under, perhaps). 

If you guys can help, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Nov 9, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #202 of 2,075
My personal favorite: http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/customizer.html I own three of them and could not be happier, much better than the daskeyboard in my opinon. Uses the same buckling spring design as the ibm model m...Unicomp bought the rights from ibm/lexmark or something like that.

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #203 of 2,075
Thanks for the reply. Could you perhaps elaborate on why it's superior to the Das Keyboard? Also, it'll cost me $30 to ship, which is quite a sum. I'm not really a fan of how it looks (however I understand that really isn't what's important). 
Thanks for the information though, I'll definitely consider it.

Nov 9, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #204 of 2,075
I have a Filco Tenkeyless w/ Cherry MX Browns. It's a great, tactile keyboard, with a nice balance for typing and gaming, IMO.
smile.gif
~$140 total

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #205 of 2,075
The Filco with Brown Cherries was something that I wanted, but the $30 or so shipping really pushes me away from it. It sucks how I can't seem to find it anywhere without ridiculous charges just to get it to me. A large point for me considering the Das Silent is because of the availability in Canada (It's out of stock everywhere, but I can wait a bit) and its Cherry MX Brown switches.

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #206 of 2,075

Quote:
The Filco with Brown Cherries was something that I wanted, but the $30 or so shipping really pushes me away from it. It sucks how I can't seem to find it anywhere without ridiculous charges just to get it to me. A large point for me considering the Das Silent is because of the availability in Canada (It's out of stock everywhere, but I can wait a bit) and its Cherry MX Brown switches.

Yikes. That's pretty expensive for shipping. If I recall the shipping for mine was just a little over $10, but the board is solid as a rock and worth the investment over a rubber dome.(Minus the Realforce boards.)

Since you said you could wait for the Das, you probably should. If you want a board now just go for the Filco - you won't regret it
ksc75smile.gif

On a side note, I wasn't aware that Das had boards with cherry browns.

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #207 of 2,075
Yeah, I'd have to wait for the Das since it's out of stock at local retailers, where it's around $120. Only the Das Silent Model S keyboards used Cherry Browns. I probably won't for a Filco either, since they'll also charge me 30 bucks for shipping to Canada (and I also wouldn't be getting it any time soon if I did go for it, it's out of stock). 

I think I'll wait for a Das to become available...out of curiosity, do you think the Filco and Das are any different?

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #208 of 2,075
I really like the response of the keys when i press them, (I play the piano as a hobby) and every time I type on this keyboard it is just wonderful. They do require a bit of force though and are quite loud (referring to the buckling spring model)

The daskeyboard really is nice and I enjoyed typing on it for the year and a half that I did. My major complaints: glossy finish super dust magnet, lettering on my keys seemed to fade, but I seem to be in little company here. Overall the tactile response was just not that magical for me like it was on the ibm model m (so I found my replacement in the unicomp because it is a clone).

I would suggest trying to find people near you with keyboards you are interested in, but I understand that to be a difficult task. The feel of actual typing is a personal phenomenon. 

sorry I am really bad at giving reviews and such. if you have to pay 30 dollars shipping for everything else the das is indeed a great keyboard and probably worth it since you can get it locally.

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #209 of 2,075
Well, what d'ya know, I also play Piano as a hobby. 
As for finding people near me with these keyboards, it's a bit difficult, because I wouldn't even know where to look, and nobody I know owns is enough of an enthusiast to own a mechanical keyboard. On a side note, I really love what the Razer Black Widow looks like. I hear it uses MX Blue switches which I don't think I'd like at all, however, and it probably won't be of the build quality of a mechanical keyboard from a dedicated manufacturer. 
Anyway, I think I'll just wait a bit for the Das to be in stock somewhere near me. 
You guys have been a great help, thanks. I'm open to any more advice by the way 
redface.gif

Edit: I'm using a roll-out tray under my desk for my current thick rubber dome keyboard, and the thickness really bothers me because my hands hit the top of the desk a lot. I'm a bit worried, as I've just discovered the Model S is also very thick (about 24mm). This might pose a problem for me. I really love how the Black Widow looks, and it's really unfortunate how it uses MX Blue switches which are apparently quite annoying when gaming; However, it is made by Razer, a gaming company, and by that fact shouldn't the Black Widow be a great gaming keyboard? Maybe the Black Widow uses some other type of switch. I think I'll wait for the Black Widow to come out and for some reviews before really deciding, though. Basically, it's really difficult to decide on a keyboard. 

Last edit, read me first: So basically, this is what's up. All guns are pointed to the Das Silent Model S. I love the glossy finish and Cherry Browns. It is very thick, but I think I can live with that. I'll wait for the Razer BlackWidow to come out to see if it uses different Cherry Blue switches, in which case I might consider it. Thanks for all your help guys, still open to advice.

Nov 26, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #210 of 2,075
What keyboard to get for under $80? Christmas gift for me, BTW. 

I was thinking Razer Black Widow. I know Blues are not ideal for gaming but won't they be a 100% improvement over my PoS spillproof keyboard? I mean a mechanical for $80, what a deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back