Keyboard-Fi
Nov 28, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #228 of 2,079

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What keyboard to get for under $80? Christmas gift for me, BTW. 

I was thinking Razer Black Widow. I know Blues are not ideal for gaming but won't they be a 100% improvement over my PoS spillproof keyboard? I mean a mechanical for $80, what a deal!

A pair of refurbished M's from eBay - is there any other logical answer?  :D  The sound is music to my ears!

Actually, they don't ever break (just clean every 5-10 years) so just get one and save yourself $40 for pizza and beer.

Best part is, you can use it for self defense...

Hmm, good idea. Is a USB Model M too much to ask for? XD
Does it have NKRO? Macros? Superfluous lights? No? Oh okay.
But seriously, are buckling springs alright for gaming and typing? 

I am 15, so no beer. Just gin and tonic. What? Do you think I am five years old?!

A PS/2 to USB adapter works fine, assuming you get a keyboard that comes with the PS/2 cable or an AT to PS/2 adapter already (virtually every one does).  If you really want new, you can get a brand new one using the same dies as the original from Unicomp - they have USB models available, as well as a black and gray version, and a few (including the black/gray one) that have the Windows key that older models lack.  That button was of course more of a nuisance than anything else, but with Windows 7 there's actually a bunch of useful windows management shortcuts using one - if you often run two windows side by side at once.

The run for $70 each - which isn't bad considering what you'll pay for a refurbished used one on eBay.  Actually, if I got another keyboard it would be their Customizer 104/105

Here's their site: http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/keyboards.html

But an old original has its advantages:  You can pick exactly which model and even the date of manufacture - I got one without the Caps Lock, etc. indicator lights (very cool, it's just blank there) and the metal IBM logo - perfect to go with my IBM T221 monitor.  Oh, and its date of assembly is 10 days after my birth date.  I figured there was something cool about that.

For typing, there is nothing better than buckling springs.  Their feel is so positively amazing that when I type on anyone else's keyboard I am disgusted.  Thinkpad keyboards are pretty good for laptops though.

For gaming - well, some prefer other designs because of newer keyboards with shorter strokes, but many still like buckling springs.  I do.  The perfect touch response is a pleasure for gaming, although I don't think it makes nearly as much of a difference as for typing.

There is also a cheap black Model M clone that uses high-quality dome switches and has a windows key, for all of $15 or $20.  I can't remember the brand, but Ahh, yes, it's Keytronic.  It's the best dome keyboard I've used - and they must be reliable because the College of Engineering at Michigan State uses them exclusively for all of the labs.  I only ever remember using one computer out of the hundreds there that had a problem - a fussy spacebar.

Of course, they're far from being a Model M.  But for a cheap keyboard they're pretty good (There seems to be some variability depending on the model):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008650%2050001477%204093&IsNodeId=1&name=%2410%20-%20%2425

Nov 28, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #229 of 2,079

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What keyboard to get for under $80? Christmas gift for me, BTW. 

I was thinking Razer Black Widow. I know Blues are not ideal for gaming but won't they be a 100% improvement over my PoS spillproof keyboard? I mean a mechanical for $80, what a deal!

A pair of refurbished M's from eBay - is there any other logical answer?  :D  The sound is music to my ears!

Actually, they don't ever break (just clean every 5-10 years) so just get one and save yourself $40 for pizza and beer.

Best part is, you can use it for self defense...

Hmm, good idea. Is a USB Model M too much to ask for? XD
Does it have NKRO? Macros? Superfluous lights? No? Oh okay.
But seriously, are buckling springs alright for gaming and typing? 

I am 15, so no beer. Just gin and tonic. What? Do you think I am five years old?!

A PS/2 to USB adapter works fine, assuming you get a keyboard that comes with the PS/2 cable or an AT to PS/2 adapter already (virtually every one does).  If you really want new, you can get a brand new one using the same dies as the original from Unicomp - they have USB models available, as well as a black and gray version, and a few (including the black/gray one) that have the Windows key that older models lack.  That button was of course more of a nuisance than anything else, but with Windows 7 there's actually a bunch of useful windows management shortcuts using one - if you often run two windows side by side at once.

The run for $70 each - which isn't bad considering what you'll pay for a refurbished used one on eBay.  Actually, if I got another keyboard it would be their Customizer 104/105

Here's their site: http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/keyboards.html

But an old original has its advantages:  You can pick exactly which model and even the date of manufacture - I got one without the Caps Lock, etc. indicator lights (very cool, it's just blank there) and the metal IBM logo - perfect to go with my IBM T221 monitor.  Oh, and its date of assembly is 10 days after my birth date.  I figured there was something cool about that.

For typing, there is nothing better than buckling springs.  Their feel is so positively amazing that when I type on anyone else's keyboard I am disgusted.  Thinkpad keyboards are pretty good for laptops though.

For gaming - well, some prefer other designs because of newer keyboards with shorter strokes, but many still like buckling springs.  I do.  The perfect touch response is a pleasure for gaming, although I don't think it makes nearly as much of a difference as for typing.

There is also a cheap black Model M clone that uses high-quality dome switches and has a windows key, for all of $15 or $20.  I can't remember the brand, but Ahh, yes, it's Keytronic.  It's the best dome keyboard I've used - and they must be reliable because the College of Engineering at Michigan State uses them exclusively for all of the labs.  I only ever remember using one computer out of the hundreds there that had a problem - a fussy spacebar.

Of course, they're far from being a Model M.  But for a cheap keyboard they're pretty good (There seems to be some variability depending on the model):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008650%2050001477%204093&IsNodeId=1&name=%2410%20-%20%2425

I am getting the Razer BlackWidow because my parents are the Best Buy types. I would get an IBM Model M since it is like $40 off of eBay (refurb) but meh. 

Nov 28, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #230 of 2,079
Well, these finally arrived for my new Mini. Going from the laptop keyboard to this... the feel is similar yet different at the same time. I have a light touch and smallish hands so i think it'll do just fine; I'd still get a mechanical keyboard for the gaming PC build though. I'll give my hands some time to adjust to the low profile but ergonomically I get the feeling I'll have to get a wrist rest or something if I'm lazy and let my hands lay on the desk. Reckon what I'll do is get a cheap cloth mouse mat for the kb to lay on and add a wrist rest and then buy a nice cloth mat for the mouse to go next to it.

Only thing is I have no idea how to use any of the shortcuts for OSX, it being 'my first time' so bar typing I'm a bit lost at the moment!

The mouse is awesome too, although I've had to adjust my grip a bit. Scrolling and gestures are great (MagicPrefs = yay!)

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #231 of 2,079

Quote:
I am getting the Razer BlackWidow because my parents are the Best Buy types. I would get an IBM Model M since it is like $40 off of eBay (refurb) but meh. 

A Christmas present or something then, I suppose?  I'm sure it's pretty good - Razer does make good stuff.  Their Salmosa mouse is my all-time favorite mouse price/performance wise.

The Model Ms will be around practically forever, so you can always get one in the future if you ever want to try one.

To be honest, I'd like to see a Unicomp M clone with media controls - play, pause, etc.  I find those keys to be extremely useful on the keyboards I have used with them.  Oh, and a TrackPoint.  That'd make the annoying mouse-keyboard-mouse-keyboard trip so much less of a bother.  I have to admit that I have grown to really like it (the TrackPoint) on my ThinkPad.  I even use it for gaming when the mouse wheel isn't required.

Some of these keyboards are REALLY cool: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/687/keyboard-for-programmers

The DataHand:

and the TypeMatrix:

in particular look really interesting (i.e. I want to try them).  At $1000 though, the DataHand isn't a realistic option...  Also, I have to admit that I don't like splitting the keyboard in half - I type "B"s with my left index finger.  Actually, I touch type with my hands floating over the keyboard with no real home position, so that my pinkys don't have to do much (or perhaps because they don't like to).  I guess it doesn't look like as far of a reach, so maybe it wouldn't be bad for me.

Nov 29, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #232 of 2,079

Quote:
Quote:

A Christmas present or something then, I suppose?  I'm sure it's pretty good - Razer does make good stuff.  Their Salmosa mouse is my all-time favorite mouse price/performance wise.

The Model Ms will be around practically forever, so you can always get one in the future if you ever want to try one.

To be honest, I'd like to see a Unicomp M clone with media controls - play, pause, etc.  I find those keys to be extremely useful on the keyboards I have used with them.  Oh, and a TrackPoint.  That'd make the annoying mouse-keyboard-mouse-keyboard trip so much less of a bother.  I have to admit that I have grown to really like it (the TrackPoint) on my ThinkPad.  I even use it for gaming when the mouse wheel isn't required.

Some of these keyboards are REALLY cool: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/687/keyboard-for-programmers

The DataHand:

and the TypeMatrix:

in particular look really interesting (i.e. I want to try them).  At $1000 though, the DataHand isn't a realistic option...  Also, I have to admit that I don't like splitting the keyboard in half - I type "B"s with my left index finger.  Actually, I touch type with my hands floating over the keyboard with no real home position, so that my pinkys don't have to do much (or perhaps because they don't like to).  I guess it doesn't look like as far of a reach, so maybe it wouldn't be bad for me.

IMO Razer makes O.K. products. I have a Deathadder myself and would expect more for $60. 

Nov 30, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #233 of 2,079

Quote:
IMO Razer makes O.K. products. I have a Deathadder myself and would expect more for $60. 

I paid $13.37 for my Salmosa.  :D

I tried a Deathadder but returned it promptly, as it was too big for my hands.  The build quality was good, but the sensor didn't like my desk either.

The Salmosa is shaped just right for me, and is so light and friction-free it's amazing.  The dpi and polling rate switches on the bottom are great, and the button/wheel feel is second to none.  For the price (closeout on Woot) it couldn't be beat.  I lost mine, but plan on buying one back from my brother (I gave them as gifts to everyone in my family).

Now I use a Logitech G9.  Their mice are the only product I like from them.  The only reasons I usually use it over the Salmosa are the forward/backward side buttons and the instantly (on top) adjustable dpi, with five customizable steps.  Perfect for shooters - switching from CQB to sniping is awesome.

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #234 of 2,079
The BlackWidow is sold out everywhere. Literally. Backed up 1-3 months on Amazon. WTH?
Secondary suggestion? Keyboards up to $100 (under 80 is better) that are alright for gaming and hopefully available on Amazon or BestBuy?

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #235 of 2,079
I'm tellin' ya, go with one of the Unicomps if you want new.  Made in the USA!  Their website isn't exactly trust-inspiring, but the storefront is by Yahoo and Unicomp has a 30 day return policy.

If you want a more modern board and a more user-friendly storefront, you could get a Das Keyboard.  They even have an uber-cool version without any markings on the keys.

The TypeMatrix goes for just over the price you're looking for too - but its unconventional layout and lack of dedicated number pad may not appeal to you.

Nov 30, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #236 of 2,079

Quote:
I'm tellin' ya, go with one of the Unicomps if you want new.  Made in the USA!  Their website isn't exactly trust-inspiring, but the storefront is by Yahoo and Unicomp has a 30 day return policy.

If you want a more modern board and a more user-friendly storefront, you could get a Das Keyboard.  They even have an uber-cool version without any markings on the keys.

The TypeMatrix goes for just over the price you're looking for too - but its unconventional layout and lack of dedicated number pad may not appeal to you.

I want to try switches not really buckling springs, but I'll think about it. Das is $130 so a bit out there. Damn all you consumers of Razer.

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #237 of 2,079
Companies do this all the time, they soft release a product so the review sites and a few consumers get it, then you get the positive reviews but out of stocks, so people presume it's wildly popular and place pre-orders for the actual hard release.

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #238 of 2,079

Quote:
Companies do this all the time, they soft release a product so the review sites and a few consumers get it, then you get the positive reviews but out of stocks, so people presume it's wildly popular and place pre-orders for the actual hard release.

It's back at Amazon! This morning it said 1-2 months. Now in stock. Wow. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back