Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Sep 6, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #2,372 of 10,023
Yes, of course. They are available to any customer. They are called Kennerton ECL-02. Sorry, but I can not publish a link to these pads here, because I think it is incorrect since I am not here to sell my products but to answer questions and suggestions, nothing more.
P.S. And sorry for my awful English...

Just ordered mine. Thanks Valentin

Sep 6, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #2,373 of 10,023
Just ordered mine. Thanks Valentin

For my part, I will have to receive the same alternative pads ECL-02 for my Thror THR001 ; pads ECL-02 ordered from Pierre Paya, the French importer of Kennerton.
It remains to be seen how these alternate ECL-02 pads will sound with my Thror compared to my lovely Odin mk2.

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #2,374 of 10,023
Hi everyone,

I'm very interested in the Magni and Vali headphones. Does anyone have any opinions on these two headphones? Which one did you think was better? Also, does anyone have any experience with the Kennerton Magni and/or Vali and the ZMF Atticus? How do you think they compare and which one did you prefer? Thanks.

Sep 7, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #2,375 of 10,023
Hi everyone,

I'm very interested in the Magni and Vali headphones. Does anyone have any opinions on these two headphones? Which one did you think was better? Also, does anyone have any experience with the Kennerton Magni and/or Vali and the ZMF Atticus? How do you think they compare and which one did you prefer? Thanks.

According to William Murdock who tested the two headphones, the Vali keeps a better mid-bass (more punchy); Imho, the extension of the sub-bass is better with the Magni; the Magni has more upper-treble than the Vali. The Vali has a little coquetry at 1000 Hz.
The comfort of the Magni is much better than that of the Vali.
@Arcamera adores his Vali for listening rock music; it's a very dynamic and pleasant headset to hear.
You will tell me that the Magni too ...
Difficult choice ...

Sep 7, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #2,376 of 10,023
Yes indeed. The Vali is the best headphone for Rock (in all its styles) I've ever owned, or even heard. It fits my preferences perfectly: very smooth top end (for my very treble-sensitive ears), yet super punchy and dynamic, with rich tonal density, and enough detail to stay involved, and satisfied. I know some think it's too dark, and some even think it can be too intense. But I love it. It is overall my favourite headphone of all time (and I still own others, from Audeze, HiFiMan, Fostex, Focal, Sennheiser, Denon, etc). I'm fine with the comfort. They have a nice grip, and are not too heavy. Rugged and well-built. Love their look too. I might have to get a third pair :beyersmile: But no, probably another Kennerton is in order...I haven't tried the Magni yet, but I intend to eventually.

I do have a few ZMF headphones, and my fave is the Atticus (in cherry). It's rich, warm, smooth. Like the Vali, great with guitars, and good with drums. I haven't been listening to that one much lately though, as I prefer it through an OTL tube amp, and I don't have one set up at the moment (my Woo WA2 is in storage-- I do most of my listening with a Woo WA22).

Enjoy what you get!

Sep 7, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #2,377 of 10,023
Oh, here's another possible criticism of the Vali (and perhaps other Kennerton headphones: some find them to have a slight 'cupped' sound in the midrange-- the sound like talking with your hands in a cup around your mouth. This might make the tonality seem a little unnatural, not as perfectly neutral or linear. But on the positive side, I find that it provides an excellent articulate midrange. And after all, IMO, the heart of the music is in the midrange! You might say it's an idiosyncratic presentation :wink: Or individualistic. Superbly enjoyable though to my ears, whatever you want to call it. I would imagine some of the more recent Kennerton models, like the Thror, would be more linear. (I only have the Vali, and the Odin-- which I also like a lot, but while more neutral, also has a bit of that peculiar midrange effect).

Sep 7, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #2,378 of 10,023
Yes indeed. The Vali is the best headphone for Rock (in all its styles) I've ever owned, or even heard. It fits my preferences perfectly: very smooth top end (for my very treble-sensitive ears), yet super punchy and dynamic, with rich tonal density, and enough detail to stay involved, and satisfied. I know some think it's too dark, and some even think it can be too intense. But I love it. It is overall my favourite headphone of all time (and I still own others, from Audeze, HiFiMan, Fostex, Focal, Sennheiser, Denon, etc). I'm fine with the comfort. They have a nice grip, and are not too heavy. Rugged and well-built. Love their look too. I might have to get a third pair :beyersmile: But no, probably another Kennerton is in order...I haven't tried the Magni yet, but I intend to eventually.

I do have a few ZMF headphones, and my fave is the Atticus (in cherry). It's rich, warm, smooth. Like the Vali, great with guitars, and good with drums. I haven't been listening to that one much lately though, as I prefer it through an OTL tube amp, and I don't have one set up at the moment (my Woo WA2 is in storage-- I do most of my listening with a Woo WA22).

Enjoy what you get!

Hello Andrew.

Soon the Indian summer in your beautiful country. :)

" But no, probably another Kennerton is in order...I haven't tried the Magni yet, but I intend to eventually."

Oh, oh, which one?
Kennerton Odin mk3 Thridi?
or Kennerton Thror?
or even better, Kennerton Thror with a second pair of alternative pads ECL-02 (which would sound like the Odin mk2)?
(note: I should be able to check it soon).
or perhaps the Kennerton Magni ? (closed-back electrodynamic headphones).

Otherwise, the Kennerton Thror (just like the Odin Thridi) are quite soft in the treble (not too bright), even less bright in the treble than the Odin mk2.
Magni is comparatively brighter in the upper-treble range.
Midrange are beautiful with all these Kennerton headphones ; it's the "Kennerton touch" ! :)

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #2,379 of 10,023

Enjoy what you get!

Oh, here's another possible criticism of the Vali (and perhaps other Kennerton headphones: some find them to have a slight 'cupped' sound in the midrange-- the sound like talking with your hands in a cup around your mouth. This might make the tonality seem a little unnatural, not as perfectly neutral or linear. But on the positive side, I find that it provides an excellent articulate midrange. And after all, IMO, the heart of the music is in the midrange! You might say it's an idiosyncratic presentation :wink: Or individualistic. Superbly enjoyable though to my ears, whatever you want to call it. I would imagine some of the more recent Kennerton models, like the Thror, would be more linear. (I only have the Vali, and the Odin-- which I also like a lot, but while more neutral, also has a bit of that peculiar midrange effect).

Hi Andrew (@Arcamera).

In spoiler (below) some others Kennerton headphones frequency response measurements (from RAA site) versus your new headphones Denon AH-D7200 and also your Kennerton Vali.:)

19090809312123553816398604.jpg

19090809312123553816398602.jpg

19090809314223553816398605.jpg

19090809312123553816398603.jpg

19090809314223553816398606.jpg

19090810352723553816398694.jpg

19090809314223553816398607.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #2,381 of 10,023
Hello Andrew.

It's a weather to go back to school (for my sons) in France: fresh temperature in the morning and not too hot in the afternoon. It rained this weekend in the Lyons region, but the sun should return.

Knowing your taste and your ear sensitivity, the Thridi should please you for listening to Rock genre: just like the Vali, it will have attenuated treble (Nb: it is the least brilliant Kennerton planar headphones in the highs, comparatively to Thror and to the Odin mk1 and mk2); it should have a better resolution than the Odin mk2 and the Vali; it will be more dynamic than the Thror in the bass, but probably less dynamic (a little softer) than the Vali in the bass; it will keep the warm tone of the Odin mk2 in the midrange (Note: that of Thror is slightly less warm, more "neutral"); it will also be 100g lighter than the Odin mk2; finally, you can choose superb varieties of wood with the Thridi.

Happy listening too! :)

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #2,384 of 10,023
I should mention a couple of other things I enjoy about the Vali: their relatively wide soundstage, and clearly low distortion. At least the way I hear it-- everything sounds super clean, and yet not at all analytic or clinical. Super fast, punchy, clean, dynamic, and immediate, vivid, upfront. This isn't a laidback, sleepy presentation. No, these sound awake, lol. When you put these on, you're in for a ride. I don't use them for everything I listen to, but I do for most of my Rock listening, and it's really satisfying.

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #2,385 of 10,023
Good morning, everyone.
Hello Valentin and Max.:)

At least one professional, French sound engineer (Julien Cleriensis), would be interested in listening to the hypothetical Kennerton Thekk, the alternative, less luxurious version of the Thror.
Links (in French):
https://musique-o-casque.com/viewtopic.php?p=3356#p3356
https://musique-o-casque.com/viewtopic.php?p=3358#p3358

The Utopia is too expensive (and too luxurious) for professional studio use according to Julien.

For my part, I prefer the Thror (and probably this hypothetical Kennerton Thekk) to the Utopia (with its stock cable) because it is less brilliant in the treble-pitched range and less tiring for long-lasting listening, not to mention the representation of the soundstage, slightly larger at with more feeling of space and with more distance with the instruments with the Thror compared to Utopia.

So, gentlemen of Kennerton, will we ever see the release of this hypothetical Kennerton Thekk, if that's what it's called; sound professionals might be interested, as might music lovers who are not all wealthy to buy a Utopia or a Thror, more luxurious in their presentation (and their price).

3gq3.png

wp8e.png

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ken...hror-discussion.732814/page-136#post-14801591

Users who are viewing this thread

Back