Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Sep 3, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #2,357 of 10,023
I’m hoping someday someone will try the thror with the pads that make it sound like Odin mk2 and can comment on how close it sounds to mk2

With specific second pads for the Thror ? (as annouced for the Thror in Bubinga wood: https://kennerton.com/shop/thror-bubinga/ ).

Quote (Kennerton) at this link above: "When ordering this lot (Thror wooden in Bubinga wood), you will get a gift – the second pair of leather cushions, the design of which makes the Kennerton Thror sound as close as possible to the very much-loved sound of the legendary Kennerton Odin MK2 driver.
Just change the ear cushions and enjoy another sound – dense, solid, massive and bass! "

More bass (for level spl), for sure, but will it have the same aeration and precision, and the same balance (in particular for midds and treble) as the Thror with the stock pads?
That's the whole question.

Otherwise, to be honest, I tried my Thror with the pads of my Odin mk2 (which are actually the pads V1 (of the Odin mk1) and not the pads V2 of the later Odin mk2) and I didn't like it: sound is too unbalanced.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #2,359 of 10,023
The pads from Odin MK2 and MK1 are not suitable for Thror and Thridi. Of course, they are suitable in size, but in sound, I would not recommend them. The pads mentioned above are completely different pads that were specifically designed with the sole purpose of making the sound of Thror as similar as possible to the sound of Odin. True, the sound of Thror will still be higher in resolution, but meatier. And yes, the second pair of alternative pads included all headphones Thror and Thridi on the website, not just Bubinga.

Sep 4, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #2,360 of 10,023
The pads from Odin MK2 and MK1 are not suitable for Thror and Thridi. Of course, they are suitable in size, but in sound, I would not recommend them. The pads mentioned above are completely different pads that were specifically designed with the sole purpose of making the sound of Thror as similar as possible to the sound of Odin. True, the sound of Thror will still be higher in resolution, but meatier. And yes, the second pair of alternative pads included all headphones Thror and Thridi on the website, not just Bubinga.

Many thanks for these important clarifications. :)

Sep 4, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #2,361 of 10,023

Will these pads be made available to purchase individually or do you have to buy a new headphone?

Thanks

Sep 5, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #2,362 of 10,023
Will these pads be made available to purchase individually or do you have to buy a new headphone?

Thanks
Yes, of course. They are available to any customer. They are called Kennerton ECL-02. Sorry, but I can not publish a link to these pads here, because I think it is incorrect since I am not here to sell my products but to answer questions and suggestions, nothing more.
P.S. And sorry for my awful English...

Sep 5, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #2,363 of 10,023
Thank you Valentin for your answer.:)

The ECL-02 pads (alias alternative pads "mk2 like" for the Kennerton Thror) look like this and are available in detail at the accessory section of Kennerton's website.
https://kennerton.com/shop/ecl-02/

ECL-02-black.jpg

Sep 5, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #2,364 of 10,023
[/QUOTE]
Thank you Valentin for your answer.:)

The ECL-02 pads (alias alternative pads "mk2 like" for the Kennerton Thror) look like this and are available in detail at the accessory section of Kennerton's website.
https://kennerton.com/shop/ecl-02/
Thanks to another type of foam and perforated holes with a diameter 1.5 times smaller than in the pads for Thror and Thridi, these pads make the sound slightly darker and bassier, which makes it very similar to the sound of old Odin. Good or bad it -everyone can decide for themselves based on their own preferences. As I understand, many people really like the sound of old Odin as a more driving and fan. I, for example, prefer the sound of Thridi. Someone like Thror...

Sep 5, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #2,365 of 10,023
Thank you Valentin for this clarification.

I will ask Pierre to order me these new ECL-02 pads that would be "adapted" to Thror to make them sound more like Odin mk2; Odin mk2 (which are no longer produced) that many people appreciate, sometimes even more than Thror (more rigorous) with its stock pads.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #2,367 of 10,023
Many thanks, @cleg, for this new video on the Kennerton Thror. :)

I like the superb Russian accent (or Ukrainian?) of this video in English. :beyersmile: :)

Top of the line plannars by Kennerton

Official site and shop: https://kennerton.com/category/headphones/
RAA measurements: https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/kennerton-thror.php
William Murdock's review:

George (Audiophile Heaven) review:

1:48 — package and accessories set
3:06 — design, build quality and wearing comfort
7:15 — sound
18:15 — comparisons

Tracks, mentioned in the review
Niechęć — Atak
Musorgsky — Great Gate of Kyiv (Berliner Philharmoniker, Herbert von Karajan)
Arne Domnérus & Gustaf Sjökvist — Antiphone Blues

Music by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #2,368 of 10,023
Hello everyone.

For those who would be surprised by @cleg's Ukrainian accent for a text in English, nothing beats the same video, but this time in Russian; the Ukrainian accent goes much better! :beyersmile::)

And you can also read the comments (in Russian) of this video youtube, more numerous than those of the video in English.
(Nb: The Odin sometimes translates to the word "one or the One" after automatic translation by google translate).

link: youtu.be/KOH66k5buS8 (for Youtube comments, in Russian).

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #2,369 of 10,023
For those who would be surprised by @cleg's Ukrainian accent for a text in English, nothing beats the same video, but this time in Russian; the Ukrainian accent goes much better!

for those who are affected by my accent that much, text version will be out too, and translation will be made by a pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back