Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Aug 20, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #2,341 of 10,023
Hi all.

Now available two headphones in one: Thror + "Odin mk2 like" for the price of a one Thror !
icon_eek.gif

Source (in french): https://musique-o-casque.com/viewtopic.php?p=3127#p3127

Aug 21, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #2,342 of 10,023
Admittedly, I haven't spending time with the Thror that much, and I haven't listened to it at my usual setup at all. For the time being, I've only been listening at my working station, while working, through the Enigmacoustics Athena A1 amp.

I'm pretty impressed by the Thror nonetheless.

DSCF2365-2.jpg

Aug 21, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #2,343 of 10,023
Admittedly, I haven't spending time with the Thror that much, and I haven't listened to it at my usual setup at all. For the time being, I've only been listening at my working station, while working, through the Enigmacoustics Athena A1 amp.

I'm pretty impressed by the Thror nonetheless.

Hi Dave.

Great ! :)

19082109393423553816368584.jpg

It will be even more impressive after a few dozen hours of burn-in.
Even if it's not an impressive first-class headphone for a first listen.
(the reason explained here by Romain on the French forum (in French) : https://musique-o-casque.com/viewtopic.php?p=3129#p3129).

Otherwise, the hybrid amplifier associated with your Thror look amazing. :)

https://www.moon-audio.com/enigmaco...e-vacuum-tube-hybrid-headphone-amplifier.html

SPECS Enigmacoustics Athena A1 amp
Input impedance 10k Ohms
Maximum output Voltage 9Vrms
Total power consumption 20W
Compatible headphone
impedance range 16–600 Ohms
Circuit configuration Pure Class-A single-ended triode gain stage with tube rectifier and LC filter
Frequency response 10–200 kHz
(-1dB at 10 Hz, -1.5 dB at 200 kHz)
THD Less than 0.07%.
Almost entirely low order

Kennerton Thror: sensitivity 109 dB / V (43 Ohm) (95 dB /1 mW) (according to RAA site measurements).

Max expected SPL with the Athena A1 amp (9 Vrms) and the Thror headphones (109 dB / V) : 109 dB + 19 dB = 128 dB SPL !

EDIT : A little advice: listen to this with them with enough volume ; impressive ! :beerchug:

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #2,347 of 10,023
Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #2,348 of 10,023
Hi all.

Hi Dave.

19082109393423553816368584.jpg

10340179.jpg

What I like in your Thror headphones made of natural Karelian birch, Dave, and indeed, it is precisely the natural rendering of the sound of Thror (in addition to its natural wood), that we can also oppose the rendering "artificial", less fair, other headphones more demonstrative and more colorful.

No "WOW" effect with the Thror; its absence of artifice could be its greatest weakness for all those who seek above all a demonstrative sound.

The Thror is not a demonstrative and not an ostentatious headphones (for the sound); you must know it.

To picture it, you can compare these two photos (below) of the heroine of the Hunger Games (also represented by my Avatar): Natural or unnatural (artifice) for rendering, make your choice! :beyersmile::)

19082108072423553816369789.jpg

Natural.

19082108072523553816369790.jpg

Unnatural (artifice)

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #2,349 of 10,023
Hi all.

The Kennerton Magni of my son was again heard on my audio system that you all know (High-end Audiomat converter (n/a) and CD drive (wich is more performer and resolving for playing a CD than my Blu-Ray player that was used to watch (and listen) the Live Concert in Prague by Hans Zimmer, in my first review of the Magni) + the Viva 2A3 amplifier).

19082512240323553816374847.jpg

Well, for an almost exclusive listening of my son's headphone (Kennerton Magni) on this audio system (Nb: I listened very little to the Thror) with all these CDs (reggae, rock, pop, folk), I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this Magni headphones, in especially for the beautiful voice of Nolwenn, but also the no less interesting female voice of the LEJ trio (Lucie, Elisa and Juliette), as well as the original voice of the young and talented Belgian singer Angèle. All these female voices are very beautiful to hear with the Magni, clear and distinct, warm, even if they do not have the same thickness and texture as that of the Thror (note: they're a little smoothed out with the Magni), but they are not sour or indistinct; the timbres (of these voices) seem fairly faithful, though thinner than those of Thror.
In addition to the voices, the dynamics of the Magni is excellent.

A remark, important to make on the Magni: with a signature more in V than the Thror (note Thror it's flatter for the signature), the Magni is listened to (and must even be listened to) at moderate volume SPL for get the best balance between the 3 registers (low - medium - high), especially for a sedentary listening in a quiet place, otherwise, listening may be "too much" with a dynamic exacerbated in the bass and treble a little too present.
It's the very opposite of the Thror, much softer than the Magni, and which supports very well an increase in volume to reinforce the subjective dynamics, especially in the bass.
So, in a quiet environment, listen to the Magni preferably to low level SPL, it is there that it is the best balanced (for the tone).

On the other hand, in a noisy environment (in the street, metro, bus, car), there the Magni should be effective in this less favorable environment which tends to erase the bass and unbalance the sound (Stapedian ear reflex triggered in noisy places): there, I think, that by listening louder Magni (to cover the ambient noise, although it is already a closed headphones), the Magni should give a good enough readability to the music listened to in these "urban" environments.
To test for a nomadic use, in the street, with a good DAP.

Original text (in french): https://musique-o-casque.com/viewtopic.php?p=3174#p3174

Aug 30, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #2,350 of 10,023
Hi all.

One of the strengths of the Kennerton Magni, compared to the Kennerton Magister in particular, and well it is its wearing comfort: the arch (headband) of the Magni (more flexible) pinch much less than that of the Magister; Magni clamping is much weaker than Magister clamping.

Moreover, compared to the Odin, it is a "featherweight".

Otherwise, I asked my son what he thought about the comfort of the Magni, he replied with his usual phlegm, always with very few words "it was rather correct".

And to drive the nail, I asked him how was the wearing of Magni in relation to the wearing of Thror and especially the Odin he could try: he replied "the Odin was much heavier" (than the Magni) and that the Magni was "a little lighter" (than the Thror). We are informed! :)

19082201272323553816370512.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #2,351 of 10,023
Hi there,

Been listening to the Thror quite a bit lately, and I can say that it sounds unbelievably good with Symphonic Metals (one of my favorite genres).

Generally speaking, I've been enjoying the fast dynamics and its bass (especially its bass) quite a bit.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #2,352 of 10,023
Hi Dave.

The aeration and the details, for the soundstage (Symphonic music), and the rapidity, extension in the low, and the natural rendering (not colored) for the sound of the Rock/Metal genres (furthermore rendering, not tiring) with the Thror; well, these sound qualities of the Thror are revealed over time.

Futhermore, the Thror's bass are of a texture and an incredible cleanliness.

Enjoy! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back