Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Aug 29, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #9,391 of 10,062
Guys, I want to rehabilitate Rognir a little, which I sometimes criticized for lack of fidelity and versatility. Although Rognir does not need rehabilitation.

The last few days I've been listening to the brand new (just new headphones, not a revision) Rognir with Hiby RS8, letting them warm up. And you know, I'm absolutely impressed with the sound. I listened mostly to live instruments - jazz, acoustic, vocals, blues, etc.

I realized for myself that Rognir is best combined with a source that gives a full-bodied, rich, timbral, rich sound. I am sure that Rognir will shine especially with tube amplifiers. Hiby's developers recently released an update to their Darwin v2 architecture for the platform their players run on and now RS8 has more tube character than ever. I just fell into the musical atmosphere that Rognir creates. These are very large sound images with many nuances that create an organic, natural, lively sound. Bass - oh my god. Vocals are so intimate, so sexy, rich, enveloping. Huge soundstage filled with music. I start listening to tracks and I can't stop.

I highly recommend that you listen to Rognir on systems with rich sound and you will not remain indifferent.

27FA9562-87B2-48B7-AE6B-F3EC6E68752A_1_201_a.jpg

Aug 29, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #9,392 of 10,062
I can also report that the Rognir Planar sounds great with fast, detailed, transparent, spacious-sounding solid state headphone amps like my Benchmark HPA4. The speed and detail is marvelous, simply marvelous, and soundstaging is great. Bass does seem to be present on those recordings that have bass on other headphones but not on bass-shy recordings.

Aug 30, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #9,393 of 10,062
I realized for myself that Rognir is best combined with a source that gives a full-bodied, rich, timbral, rich sound. I am sure that Rognir will shine especially with tube amplifiers.
Tubes are indeed recommended.

1693400162460.png

1693400126125.png

Attachments

• 1693400013003.png
    1693400013003.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 1693400038944.png
    1693400038944.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
Aug 30, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #9,394 of 10,062
Aug 30, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #9,395 of 10,062
wanna battle?

9B0E6B93-FA09-4F1F-9CD3-4A636642896F_1_102_a.jpeg

okay, Kennerton Rognir vs Kennerton Heartland Dynamic

tl;dr there is no winner here, it all depends on your requests and preferences

as you know, the final sound is affected by the entire sound system, so I'll just tell you what and how I listened

Hiby RS8 (AB mode, Turbo Off, Darwin Ultra) with Tidal (UAPP) -> 4.4 custom hybrid cable -> Rognir and HLD with different ear pads

i picked three random tracks from my playlist:

Mahsa Vahdat - Meditating Over A Photo
Woong San - I’m Alright
Adam Ben Ezra - Cant Stop Running

I didn’t have the task of making a thorough comparison, I just wanted to test different ear pads and for one I decided to describe what I heard

My overall impressions of Rognir
Very wide stage, very intimate presentation. Musical images are very large, full-bodied, rich timbres. The lower end gives you a huge mass, the bass literally rumbles, it covers you from all sides, it has a lot of power. Vocals, instruments (especially double bass) sound very rich and thick. The sound presentation of Rognir just absorbs you into the atmosphere of the track.
I personally lacked a sense of the depth of the scene, three-dimensionality, holographic, layered.

Of the two pairs of ear pads -- ECL 01 and 03 MF, and I liked ECL-03 MF better. I have not heard that they give much more bass. Yes, there is a slight addition to the bass impact. But it's more about the nuances. I liked that the 03 improved the focus a bit and added some depth to the soundstage. I also heard slightly better bass control. In general, these ear pads are more versatile for me. So ECL-03 MF is highly recommended for Rognir Planar.

---------

My overall impressions of Hearland Dynamic
The stage is a bit narrower than in Rognir. But there are no problems with the depth of the scene, with layering, holographic and so on. Also, the sound delivery is not as intimate as in Rognir, here the soundstage moves away from the head a little. But it's mostly about the instruments, because the vocals are still pushed forward and are great to listen to. The timbres are slightly less rich than those of Rognir, but the overall presentation is more comfortable, emotional. The musical imagery is smaller than Rognir's, but it's still a solid presentation. Also HLD has more energy in the upper mids. The bass is a little more modest than in Rognir, it's not Zeus, but it's also a very good and powerful bass, the sub-bass is of better quality, it's more delicate.

I described the sound in ECL-01 MF ear pads. Different ear pads create a very different presentation in the HLD as I described this in the thread earlier. The only thing is that I do not recommend ECL-03 MF ear pads for HLD. They negatively affect the physicality of the sound. The sound is less timbre and loses mass.

To sum up, I will still describe Rognir as a big axe-wielding Viking. It's massive, it's powerful, it's thunderous, it has a big engaging sound.
For closed-back headphones, there is a very wide stage here.

HLD are slightly less impressive in terms of bass and body. But they are more emotional, energetic, this is a full-fledged sound of open-back headphones with all the advantages. They are more versatile and less fatiguing in long sessions. I want you to understand that HLD also have powerful bass, amazing sub-bass, and engaging sound. It's just that it's not as exaggerated here as Rognir. HLD is more neutral than Rognir.
Kennerton Rognir vs Kennerton Heartland Dynamic

кому лень читать -- здесь нет победителя, все зависит от твоих запросов и предпочтений

как ты понимаешь на конечный звук влияет весь тракт, поэтому я просто расскажу что и как я слушал

Hiby RS8 (AB режим, Turbo выключен, Darwin Ultra) с Tidal (UAPP) -> 4.4 кастомный гибридный кабель -> Rognir и HLD с разными амбами

я взял три случайных трека из моего плейлиста:

Woong San - I’m Alright

у меня не было задачи провести доскональное сравнение, я просто хотел потестировать разные амбушюры и за одно решил описать то, что я услышал

Мои общие впечатления по Rognir
Очень широкая сцена, очень интимная подача. Музыкальные образы очень крупные, насыщенные, а тембры богаты. Нижний диапазон создает огромную массу, бас буквально грохочет, охватывает тебя со всех сторон, в нем много мощи. Вокал, инструменты (особенно контрабас) звучат очень насыщенно и густо. Звуковая подача Рогнира просто погружает тебя в атмосферу трека.
Мне лично не хватило ощущения глубины сцены, трехмерности, голографичности, эшелонированности.

Из двух пар амбушюр -- ECL 01 и 03 MF, мне больше понравились ECL-03 MF. Я не услышал, что они дают намного больше баса. Да, есть небольшая добавка к ударности баса. Но это скорее относится к нюансам. Мне больше понравилось, что 03 немного улучшают фокусирование и немного добавляют глубину сцены. Так же я услышал немного лучший контроль баса. В общем, эти амбушюры для меня более универсальны. В общем, очень рекомендую ECL-03 MF для планарных Rognir.

-----------

Мои общие впечатления по Heartland Dynamic
Сцена немного уже, чем в Рогнир. Но здесь нет никаких проблем с глубиной сцены, со слоистостью, голографичностью и так далее. Так же подача не такая интимная, как в Рогнир, здесь сцена немного отодвигается от головы. Но это касается в основном инструментов, потому что вокал все еще выдвинут вперед и прекрасен для прослушивания. Тембры чуть менее богатые, чем у Рогнир, но общая презентация более комфортная, эмоциональная. Музыкальные образы менее крупные, чем у Рогнир, но это все еще полновесная презентация. Так же HLD имеет больше энергии на верхней середине. Бас чуть более скромный, чем у Рогнир, это не Зевс, но это тоже очень хороший и мощный бас, здесь более качественный суббас, он более деликатный.

Я описал звучание в ECL-01 MF амбушюрах. Разные амбушюры создают в HLD очень разную презентацию. Я описывал это раньше в этом треде. Единственное, что я не рекомендую ECL-03 MF амбушюры для HLD. Они негативно сказываются на телесности звучания.

Подводя итог, я все еще опишу Рогнир как большого викинга с топором. Он массивный, мощный, громоподобный, у него мощный захватывающий звук.
Для наушников закрытого типа здесь очень широкая сцена.

HLD немного менее впечатляют с точки зрения баса и тела. Но они более эмоциональны, энергичны, это полноценное звучание наушников открытого типа со всеми преимуществами. Они более универсальны и меньше утомительны при длительных сессиях.
Я хочу чтобы вы понимали, что в этих наушниках так же есть мощный бас, крутой саббас, и увлекательный звук. Просто здесь это не так гиперболизировано как Рогнир. ХЛД более нейтральные чем Рогнир.

Aug 30, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #9,396 of 10,062
wanna battle?

9B0E6B93-FA09-4F1F-9CD3-4A636642896F_1_102_a.jpeg

okay, Kennerton Rognir vs Kennerton Heartland Dynamic

tl;dr there is no winner here, it all depends on your requests and preferences

as you know, the final sound is affected by the entire sound system, so I'll just tell you what and how I listened

Hiby RS8 (AB mode, Turbo Off, Darwin Ultra) with Tidal (UAPP) -> 4.4 custom hybrid cable -> Rognir and HLD with different ear pads

i picked three random tracks from my playlist:

Woong San - I’m Alright

I didn’t have the task of making a thorough comparison, I just wanted to test different ear pads and for one I decided to describe what I heard

My overall impressions of Rognir
Very wide stage, very intimate presentation. Musical images are very large, full-bodied, rich timbres. The lower end gives you a huge mass, the bass literally rumbles, it covers you from all sides, it has a lot of power. Vocals, instruments (especially double bass) sound very rich and thick. The sound presentation of Rognir just absorbs you into the atmosphere of the track.
I personally lacked a sense of the depth of the scene, three-dimensionality, holographic, layered.

Of the two pairs of ear pads -- ECL 01 and 03 MF, and I liked ECL-03 MF better. I have not heard that they give much more bass. Yes, there is a slight addition to the bass impact. But it's more about the nuances. I liked that the 03 improved the focus a bit and added some depth to the soundstage. I also heard slightly better bass control. In general, these ear pads are more versatile for me. So ECL-03 MF is highly recommended for Rognir Planar.

---------

My overall impressions of Hearland Dynamic
The stage is a bit narrower than in Rognir. But there are no problems with the depth of the scene, with layering, holographic and so on. Also, the sound delivery is not as intimate as in Rognir, here the soundstage moves away from the head a little. But it's mostly about the instruments, because the vocals are still pushed forward and are great to listen to. The timbres are slightly less rich than those of Rognir, but the overall presentation is more comfortable, emotional. The musical imagery is smaller than Rognir's, but it's still a solid presentation. Also HLD has more energy in the upper mids. The bass is a little more modest than in Rognir, it's not Zeus, but it's also a very good and powerful bass, the sub-bass is of better quality, it's more delicate.

I described the sound in ECL-01 MF ear pads. Different ear pads create a very different presentation in the HLD as I described this in the thread earlier. The only thing is that I do not recommend ECL-03 MF ear pads for HLD. They negatively affect the physicality of the sound. The sound is less timbre and loses mass.

To sum up, I will still describe Rognir as a big axe-wielding Viking. It's massive, it's powerful, it's thunderous, it has a big engaging sound.
For closed-back headphones, there is a very wide stage here.

HLD are slightly less impressive in terms of bass and body. But they are more emotional, energetic, this is a full-fledged sound of open-back headphones with all the advantages. They are more versatile and less fatiguing in long sessions. I want you to understand that HLD also have powerful bass, amazing sub-bass, and engaging sound. It's just that it's not as exaggerated here as Rognir. HLD is more neutral than Rognir.
Kennerton Rognir vs Kennerton Heartland Dynamic

кому лень читать -- здесь нет победителя, все зависит от твоих запросов и предпочтений

как ты понимаешь на конечный звук влияет весь тракт, поэтому я просто расскажу что и как я слушал

Hiby RS8 (AB режим, Turbo выключен, Darwin Ultra) с Tidal (UAPP) -> 4.4 кастомный гибридный кабель -> Rognir и HLD с разными амбами

я взял три случайных трека из моего плейлиста:

Woong San - I’m Alright

у меня не было задачи провести доскональное сравнение, я просто хотел потестировать разные амбушюры и за одно решил описать то, что я услышал

Мои общие впечатления по Rognir
Очень широкая сцена, очень интимная подача. Музыкальные образы очень крупные, насыщенные, а тембры богаты. Нижний диапазон создает огромную массу, бас буквально грохочет, охватывает тебя со всех сторон, в нем много мощи. Вокал, инструменты (особенно контрабас) звучат очень насыщенно и густо. Звуковая подача Рогнира просто погружает тебя в атмосферу трека.
Мне лично не хватило ощущения глубины сцены, трехмерности, голографичности, эшелонированности.

Из двух пар амбушюр -- ECL 01 и 03 MF, мне больше понравились ECL-03 MF. Я не услышал, что они дают намного больше баса. Да, есть небольшая добавка к ударности баса. Но это скорее относится к нюансам. Мне больше понравилось, что 03 немного улучшают фокусирование и немного добавляют глубину сцены. Так же я услышал немного лучший контроль баса. В общем, эти амбушюры для меня более универсальны. В общем, очень рекомендую ECL-03 MF для планарных Rognir.

-----------

Мои общие впечатления по Heartland Dynamic
Сцена немного уже, чем в Рогнир. Но здесь нет никаких проблем с глубиной сцены, со слоистостью, голографичностью и так далее. Так же подача не такая интимная, как в Рогнир, здесь сцена немного отодвигается от головы. Но это касается в основном инструментов, потому что вокал все еще выдвинут вперед и прекрасен для прослушивания. Тембры чуть менее богатые, чем у Рогнир, но общая презентация более комфортная, эмоциональная. Музыкальные образы менее крупные, чем у Рогнир, но это все еще полновесная презентация. Так же HLD имеет больше энергии на верхней середине. Бас чуть более скромный, чем у Рогнир, это не Зевс, но это тоже очень хороший и мощный бас, здесь более качественный суббас, он более деликатный.

Я описал звучание в ECL-01 MF амбушюрах. Разные амбушюры создают в HLD очень разную презентацию. Я описывал это раньше в этом треде. Единственное, что я не рекомендую ECL-03 MF амбушюры для HLD. Они негативно сказываются на телесности звучания.

Подводя итог, я все еще опишу Рогнир как большого викинга с топором. Он массивный, мощный, громоподобный, у него мощный захватывающий звук.
Для наушников закрытого типа здесь очень широкая сцена.

HLD немного менее впечатляют с точки зрения баса и тела. Но они более эмоциональны, энергичны, это полноценное звучание наушников открытого типа со всеми преимуществами. Они более универсальны и меньше утомительны при длительных сессиях.
Я хочу чтобы вы понимали, что в этих наушниках так же есть мощный бас, крутой саббас, и увлекательный звук. Просто здесь это не так гиперболизировано как Рогнир. ХЛД более нейтральные чем Рогнир.
heartland dynanic vs heartland planar?

Aug 31, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #9,399 of 10,062
More than enough.

From Heartland over RCA on the unbalanced STD output, it sounds great at 9 o'clock.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #9,400 of 10,062
More than enough.

From Heartland over RCA on the unbalanced STD output, it sounds great at 9 o'clock.
The volume knob just controls the loudness (voltage\gain), not the current and power.
Even if you had an amp that is x5 more powerful (more watt) you would still be on 9 o'clock (provided they have the same gain ratio on their knob).

The difference with these amps will be in the ability to backup the voltage you set using the volume pot with enough current so that it will not be starved for more power. If a track has a section with heavy bass, that would suddenly require much more power (lower frequencies require more power, impedance is dynamic resistance and it will drop lower with bass) and so if the amp is not powerful enough, the bass might not be as good as it could be, there might be clipping.

So the music will sound just as loud with both amps on 9 o'clock, but the quality of the the sound, especially bass, might not, if the HPs demand more power than the weaker amp can provide.

So the power of the amp does not mean how loud it will make the music sound at position X of the volume pot.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #9,402 of 10,062
does it have enough power for planars?
easily
except for the most power-demanding (susvara, heddone, hfm he6 etc)

Aug 31, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #9,403 of 10,062
Someone offered this Kennerton Atlas on a local 2nd hand board for 210$.
Anyone has any information on it? I can't find it on their website.

Is it worth anything?

1693485088419.png

Aug 31, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #9,404 of 10,062
Aug 31, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #9,405 of 10,062

Users who are viewing this thread

Back