Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Feb 1, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #8,777 of 10,023
Hi everybody, I've been reading a lot of praise to GH 50 JM here, and as an owner of Rognir Dynamic I'm curious how GH 50 JM would compete with RD for metal. I love my RD, but sometimes feel it lacks a bit of impact, especially with older recordings like Sepultura's Schizophrenia. What do you guys think? Has anyone tried both of these headphones? Thanks!

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #8,780 of 10,023
Not going to indulge your ludicrous reply, but only that "the Thror is sorely lacking in high-medium, and it's perfectly audible (obviously) on the Metal-Symphonic genre, to come back to the subject of the thread."

This was not the subject of this particular discussion, the Rognir was.

I have the Thror, I have the Rognir. The Thror is not designed for metal. The Rognir excels in metal. Discussion over.

One final question: Are you not in any sense embarrassed by the disingenuous nonsense that you regurgitate on a public forum?
I will return the question to you.

Concerning the Kennerton headphones, I have slightly more experience than you in the famous Kennerton sound (mostly good, but not very well balanced), and for good reason, I have owned 5 Kennerton headphones (Odin mk1, Odin mk2, Thror, Thekk, Magni V2) and I could listen to the Vali and the Odin Thridi (mk3) at my home.

Otherwise, how can a well balanced headphone for tone (like the Sennheiser HD-560 S and the Focal Utopia) not be adapted to listen to Symphonic Metal music genre, with a fair and harmonious reproduction of the bass, the midrange and the treble?

Feb 1, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #8,781 of 10,023

Concerning the Kennerton headphones, I have slightly more experience than you in the famous Kennerton sound (mostly good, but not very well balanced), and for good reason, I have owned 5 Kennerton headphones (Odin mk1, Odin mk2, Thror, Thekk, Magni V2) and I could listen to the Vali and the Odin Thridi (mk3) at my home.

Otherwise, how can a well balanced headphone for tone (like the Sennheiser HD-560 S and the Focal Utopia) not be adapted to listen to Symphonic Metal music genre, with a fair and harmonious reproduction of the bass, the midrange and the treble?
That's an impressive list.

A shame the Rognir isn't included; you missed out!

Feb 1, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #8,782 of 10,023

No one cares as you simply can't be trusted.

Feb 1, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #8,783 of 10,023

Would you recommend the Rognir?

Feb 1, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #8,784 of 10,023
GH40 is very interesting. It's bass heavy as expected but somehow it reminded me of Focal Utopia. There is something similar in the way it does macrodynamics and soundstage/imaging has something similar too. Measurements explain bit what I heard.
GH40 vs Focal Utopia.jpg
Notice that small rise after 1khz. That is audible. At 4khz utopia shoots way up and falls down until it rises again at 7khz. That is a measurement glitch caused by minidsp ears. What is interesting is that GH40 has similar peaks and valley at a same place! I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or do GH40 and Utopia have some similar characterestics that manifest as a glitch in that measurement. Weird.

Here is Rögnir vs GH40
Rögnir vs GH40.jpg
Extremely interesting post.

Feb 1, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #8,786 of 10,023
@eric65 what's on your avatar - a veiled Nazi salute?

I came to this conclusion by looking at the rest of the links in your signature

full

it is a (three-fingered) salute for rallying rebels in the Hunger Games; your cinematographic culture is very weak my "friend".

Feb 1, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #8,788 of 10,023
Would you recommend the Rognir?
No.

At least, not for a faithful listening (i.e. well balanced for the tone) of the music in general, and of the Symphonic Metal genre that I like, in particular.

There are objectively much better headphones than the Rognir (planar) and often for much less money than this expensive headphone.

Just have a look at the following list of headphones at this link, on the Thread Kennerton : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ken...hror-discussion.732814/page-572#post-17300762

Feb 1, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #8,789 of 10,023
No.

At least, not for a faithful listening (i.e. well balanced for the tone) of the music in general, and of the Symphonic Metal genre that I like, in particular.

There are objectively much better headphones than the Rognir (planar) and often for much less money than this expensive headphone.

Just have a look at the following list of headphones at this link, on the Thread Kennerton : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kennerton-odin-magister-vali-magni-gjallarhorn-rögnir-thridi-wodan-thekk-and-thror-discussion.732814/page-572#post-17300762
Graphs mean literally noting to me. I understand they are important to some but I don't get it.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #8,790 of 10,023
Graphs for me are an indicator. There are some things that you can read off of them, others you can't. Soundstage, imaging, dynamics for example. They are useful for tonal balance. For example i know that i like good treble -> i can can look at the graph of the Elysian Gaea and see: Oh damn, there is nothing else like it in the market (yes the unoptainable Annihilator) and be interested. But how is the quality of the treble? Is it smooth or harsh? Beyerdynamics often have a treble spike, but the DT1990 and the 1770 are extremely enjoyable (for me on tubes), it's done in a way so it doesn't hurt, it adds the the personality of the headphone. Same with my Grado Hemp. Objectively they have a lot of treble which is subjectively too much for some people, but it's done the "right way". Is the Hemp "right" sounding? No of course not, but it's musical and enjoyable.
Same thing goes for the bass. The Susvara has a flat bass, but it lacks punch and slam, so i EQ'ed a bit into it (until i got other headphones). The Utopia also has a flat bass response, and holy moly, does this thing slam hard, i would never give it more bass (that's why i probably won't get a DCA Stealth, it lacks dynamics, and i don't need to pay that much for a closed-back that has high resolution but doesn't reach the Sus).
In the end you often need to hear a headphone or at least something similiar from the same company to get a feeling of their "house sound".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back