Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Dec 1, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #8,506 of 10,023
The Bog Oak is really interesting when you read about it. I know I am late to the party on this but these are really great headphones. I will post some thoughts on Audio Rabbit Hole in a couple of days. I switched back to the ECL-01 MF and found I enjoy them more with my tuning. I have a feeling if I switched back to the 02 I would say the same. :ksc75smile:

Very nice, seeing the grain of that wood.

How does one find out more about the wood they use? I believe I own the Rognir Dynamic called "Dusk" that you used to own. But I have no clue what type of wood it's made of. The website doesn't seem to mention it?

Dec 1, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #8,507 of 10,023
Very nice, seeing the grain of that wood.

How does one find out more about the wood they use? I believe I own the Rognir Dynamic called "Dusk" that you used to own. But I have no clue what type of wood it's made of. The website doesn't seem to mention it?
You're right, I just read the site, not a mention of specific wood type. Maybe email info@kennerton.com and ask.

Dec 1, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #8,508 of 10,023
My Magni's I'm selling are Bog Oak, and i really like that finish more than I thought I would. The Baltic Sea on my RD's wins hands down though...they also had a similar green finish I really like.

Dec 1, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #8,509 of 10,023
My Magni's I'm selling are Bog Oak, and i really like that finish more than I thought I would. The Baltic Sea on my RD's wins hands down though...they also had a similar green finish I really like.
My GH50 MKII we're supposed to be Baltic Sea, but I received some one off color, that I am just fine with.

Dec 1, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #8,511 of 10,023
how does stellia compare to rognir dynamic? Can you post a comparison?

I'll let @revolutionz answer that as I don't own the Stellia, but I'll say that the Rognir Dynamic has been incredible for me. It's the first closed headphone that doesn't make me immediately miss my open headphones. I've been using it every day for months now, whereas before I'd just revert to an open back and I would only use my closed headphones if I absolutely had to.

Really enjoying it with the ZMF solid universe pads, leather or suede. With these pads the ears don't touch the driver as they do with the stock Kennerton pads and the comfort is 10/10 as the headphone only weighs 443 grams. Of course don't expect it to compete with 2k headphones on technicalities, but to my ears it has a really enjoyable natural and smooth sound without feeling like anything is smudged or missing. Just what I want from a closed headphone.

Not sure how they achieved this as I understand that the driver itself is not a Kennerton design, but rather a fairly inexpensive, unremarkable one. The secret must be in the housing. Would be very interesting to see what Kennerton could achieve with a superior dynamic driver.

Dec 1, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #8,512 of 10,023
how does stellia compare to rognir dynamic? Can you post a comparison?

I'll try give a quick comparison, I'm by no means a pro :)

I really like the RDs. They are fun. Prior to these and my Stellia, I owned only a few different full size cans...the elegia, HD700, Magnis. I liked the Elegia and the Magni, but they were kind of similar other than the Magni's having a soundstage that made everything seem more open vs the more intimate soundstage of Focal/Elegia. I enjoyed them but always wanted that little bit more.

I searched a long time for something that wasn't crazy priced, but gave me the performance I wanted. I really liked the Magni's so I started to look up the Kennerton line, along with some Denon's, Audeze, ZMF, DCA, etc. when I came across this set of baltic sea RDs on the classifieds. I really like the baltic sea color, and they got so much praise on this thread I decided to give them a go.

I wasn't disappointed. It's like it took everything I liked about the Magni's, and lifted the blanket off of it. Everything was more coherent. More detail. Bass texture. Soundstage. Imaging. I thoroughly enjoyed them for about 3 weeks...then the wheels started turning. Is there more? What does better sound like? Being a fan of the Focal house sound, and watching the Stellia thread like a hawk, I couldn't stop myself. I needed to at least try the Stellia. Fast forward about another 2 weeks and I came across a great deal on some Stellia on the classifieds.

The Stellia...are everything everyone has said about them. More detail than you know what to do with. Bass reaches down but is precisely controlled. Very balanced sound. Amazing imaging. I think I've reached it. I put the Stellia on and I don't find myself caring to look for upgrades anymore..sometimes intrigued by something with a different sound signature, but up to now I'm completely satisfied.

As far as the comparison between the two....as I said before, I really like the RDs. They're suprememely fun with electronic, R&B, rock/metal. They're not fatiguing at all. I sometimes find long sessions with the Stellia can get a tad fatiguing from the high frequency, but I think that's because they're more pronounced in the Stellia than they are in the RDs, which is why I like the RD's so much in those genres. The problem is, with the detail and the overall presentation of the sound, I find myself reaching for the Stellia more than I ever use the RDs. I almost have to tell myself "I'm going to sit down and listen to the RDs today". That being said, when I put them on, I enjoy the hell out of them and typically go for a good long session. They both have their place in my lineup. They are both stellar headphones. If I had to sell the Stellia, now that I've heard them, I think I could be happy with only the RDs and not miss them too much and I think that says something for me. However, I'm thankfully not in that situation and hope I never am :)

Thanks for putting up with my rambling.

Dec 4, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #8,513 of 10,023
Hi everybody, I have a quick question. I have a Rognir Dynamic with a 6.3 cable. If I connect it to the balanced XLR input on my amp via a 6.3 to XLR adapter, will I have a true balanced connection? Or is it still SE? Sorry for a noob question. Thanks.

Dec 5, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #8,514 of 10,023
Hi everybody, I have a quick question. I have a Rognir Dynamic with a 6.3 cable. If I connect it to the balanced XLR input on my amp via a 6.3 to XLR adapter, will I have a true balanced connection? Or is it still SE? Sorry for a noob question. Thanks.
If I understand you correctly, it is still SE.

Dec 5, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #8,515 of 10,023
If I understand you correctly, it is still SE.
What I meant was, I don't have a balanced cable, but would like to experience all the benefits of the balanced connection. So, if I connect my SE cable to the balanced port on my amp via an adaptor, will I be able to experience those benefits?

Dec 5, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #8,516 of 10,023
I'll let @revolutionz answer that as I don't own the Stellia, but I'll say that the Rognir Dynamic has been incredible for me. It's the first closed headphone that doesn't make me immediately miss my open headphones. I've been using it every day for months now, whereas before I'd just revert to an open back and I would only use my closed headphones if I absolutely had to.

Really enjoying it with the ZMF solid universe pads, leather or suede. With these pads the ears don't touch the driver as they do with the stock Kennerton pads and the comfort is 10/10 as the headphone only weighs 443 grams. Of course don't expect it to compete with 2k headphones on technicalities, but to my ears it has a really enjoyable natural and smooth sound without feeling like anything is smudged or missing. Just what I want from a closed headphone.

Not sure how they achieved this as I understand that the driver itself is not a Kennerton design, but rather a fairly inexpensive, unremarkable one. The secret must be in the housing. Would be very interesting to see what Kennerton could achieve with a superior dynamic driver.
Going off this, i just tried the ZMF Auteur hybrid pads on my rognir planar and theyre wonderful. Definitely different than stock, but very good, nonetheless.

Dec 5, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #8,517 of 10,023
What I meant was, I don't have a balanced cable, but would like to experience all the benefits of the balanced connection. So, if I connect my SE cable to the balanced port on my amp via an adaptor, will I be able to experience those benefits?
No you can't. If you wish to use the stock cable maybe, you can find someone to re-terminate the stock cable for you

https://www.moon-audio.com/balanced-adapters-caution

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #8,518 of 10,023
Going off this, i just tried the ZMF Auteur hybrid pads on my rognir planar and theyre wonderful. Definitely different than stock, but very good, nonetheless.

I assume for the Rognir Planar perforated pads work just fine? I think I read this above re the Kennerton pads too.

On the Rognir Dynamic perforated earpads are a huge no-no. All bass disappears, I have never heard such a dramatic change from ear pads before. Which is fine, being a closed back I assumed it needs solid pads and indeed the ZMF universe solids are wonderful, with luscious bass.

Dec 5, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #8,519 of 10,023
Do not do that. Never connect an SE HP cable to balanced out. Might work, but depending on amp internal structure and adaptor, you can even damage your amp. (There is no problem with the other way round : balanced cable with adapter to SE out).
If your signature is up to date, and you want to do this on Burson Conductor 3XR, I can assure you, you do not need to. The only difference is that on SE out you might have to go to 20 on high gain, on balanced only 3 is enough on high gain. But you still have plenty to go from the 20 (up to 100).
Once I have tried in the past, the stage was even better on SE than on balanced out.

You can sleep well with this. If not, you can ask Kennerton. They have a very nice balanced cable included in Rögnir Planar package. They migt sell it to you separately.

Dec 7, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #8,520 of 10,023
You're right, I just read the site, not a mention of specific wood type. Maybe email info@kennerton.com and ask.
Hello!

The wood type used in Dusk models is the European Oak. It is soaked in the several layers of "dusk" tint, and that is how it receives its look.

Bog Oak - is extra rare (and expensive) nowadays for us, we have very limited supply of, that is why we do not craft anything out of it lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back