Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Nov 8, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #8,480 of 10,035
Nov 8, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #8,481 of 10,035
What do you get going from the Vali (preferably JM modded Vali) to the Rognir Planar (bass tuned) or Rognir Dynamic?

It seems like you get better extension, more soundstage, more detail, more imaging, and perhaps more neutral?

I'm also curious about Meze 109 Pro vs Kennerton Vali, is it worth spending more for the Vali if I care about midbass and comfort?

Nov 16, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #8,485 of 10,035
After a honeymoon period with my new Gjallahorn GH50 jm mk1, I think that the vocals and piano sound a bit muffled and recessed (im using a qudelix 5k to drive it). Is there any way to brighten up the vocals and piano?
topping E30 + L30 (or 50's series)
smsl d1se, topping d70s, singxer SA-1, topping A90 (A90de), musician pegasus, ladder schumann, burson soloist 3xp, singxer sda-6
and so on, according to your wallet

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #8,487 of 10,035
does changing a dac/amp help that much?
try to listen to these headphones on another sound system (in the store or from a friend)

Nov 16, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #8,488 of 10,035
Very mach. Greatly!
When I replaced my Fiio K9 Pro (very good in sound) with a bunch of Singer SDA-6 and SA-1 (even more advanced in sound), the sound became much better.
Especially the density and transparency of the midrange frequencies have improved.

Nov 16, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #8,489 of 10,035
May I throw in the Benchmark HPA4 as well? With my Gjallarhorn GH50 JM Edition Mark 2 phones using a Quicksilver tube amp was just too much of a good thing, even though the QS is a relatively neutral tube amp. The sound of the pair was just too dark, bass-prominent, and warm. There just wasn't enough detail overall although bass and dynamics were great. I tried rolling some NOS tubes but even they couldn't overcome the smoothed-over sound.

Enter the HPA4 which is the fastest solid-state amp I have heard with the lowest distortion of any amp known, at least according to Stereophile and Audio Science Review. And yes, the sound became much more neutral--fast, detailed, transparent, and spacious. My Bricasti M1SE DAC/streamer also helps somewhat in that regard.

That being said, there is absolutely no way the GH50 will ever sound fast and spacious like the Rognir Planar or even in the same ballpark as the RAAL SR-1b. It just isn't in their DNA and if you are looking for this type of sound I don't think you will ever get it with the Gjallarhorn. You can change the flavor of the GH50 but not its character, which in my opinion, is the best combo of bass and dynamics I have heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back