Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Aug 8, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #8,176 of 10,023
Interesting as I already find the MK2's to have a ridiculously wide soundstage (damn near the same width as the HD 800s when I owned it). The Rognir really has an even WIDER stage? I find that hard to imagine lol.
The Rognir sounds easily as open as an open-back, if not more open than many open-backs.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #8,178 of 10,023
I have never heard my Rognir Planars on any amp other than the Benchmark HPA4 which is an exceedingly detailed, fast, transparent amp. The probably reason for this is its immeasurably low distortion and high signal to noise ratio. I previously had a tubed Quicksilver Headphone Amp and it had titanic bass with my GH50 Mark 2 phones but the Benchmark really opened up the soundstage with those phones as well. The tradeoff with the two amps was bass weight and dynamics. I prefer a more neutral sound anyway so the HPA4 fit the bill well. Some might miss the bass of the QS amp and the GH50s when using the HPA4/Rognir Planar combination. But when I go back to the GH50s from the RP they sound too bass prominent and closed-in as well as lacking speed and detail.

Aug 8, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #8,179 of 10,023
I have never heard my Rognir Planars on any amp other than the Benchmark HPA4 which is an exceedingly detailed, fast, transparent amp. The probably reason for this is its immeasurably low distortion and high signal to noise ratio. I previously had a tubed Quicksilver Headphone Amp and it had titanic bass with my GH50 Mark 2 phones but the Benchmark really opened up the soundstage with those phones as well. The tradeoff with the two amps was bass weight and dynamics. I prefer a more neutral sound anyway so the HPA4 fit the bill well. Some might miss the bass of the QS amp and the GH50s when using the HPA4/Rognir Planar combination. But when I go back to the GH50s from the RP they sound too bass prominent and closed-in as well as lacking speed and detail.
Where did you order your Rognirs out of curiosity? Audio46 has them out of stock and I'm not sure when they'll have them available again.

Aug 8, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #8,180 of 10,023
Where did you order your Rognirs out of curiosity? Audio46 has them out of stock and I'm not sure when they'll have them available again.
Yes, Audio46, where I ordered my Gjallarhorn GH50 JMEs, is not currently carrying the RP, probably due to the Russia/Ukraine war even though they are available direct from Kennerton. You can either order them direct from Kennerton who uses DHL Express for a princely sum of money in shipping charges, or from one of their European dealers. I used Audio Emotion in the UK and got great service and reasonable shipping charges, but you never know these days who might be carrying Kennerton due to the unstable war situation. Their website is www.audioemotion.co.uk.

BTW, the RP comes in regular and bass-tuned versions. I have the bass-tuned version and even with its minimal but tight bass I still think it is somewhat light on bass. The regular version IMO would be way too light on bass but I admit to never hearing the regular RP. That said, the RP does seem to produce the bass inherent on recordings, i.e. it doesn't try to add bass where none is present on the recording. Most headphones I have heard editorialize the sound with bass being prominent on most recordings but on bass-heavy recordings it becomes overwhelming. For instance, if you go to a venue with a DJ, initially the bass sounds exciting and satisfying but eventually it becomes tiresome and all songs start sounding the same. Most headphones I have heard sound this way but not the RP. If the bass is there you will get it with the RP bass-tuned version. If it is lightweight the RP will sound lightweight.

Aug 8, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #8,181 of 10,023
Yes, Audio46, where I ordered my Gjallarhorn GH50 JMEs, is not currently carrying the RP, probably due to the Russia/Ukraine war even though they are available direct from Kennerton. You can either order them direct from Kennerton who uses DHL Express for a princely sum of money in shipping charges, or from one of their European dealers. I used Audio Emotion in the UK and got great service and reasonable shipping charges, but you never know these days who might be carrying Kennerton due to the unstable war situation. Their website is www.audioemotion.co.uk.

BTW, the RP comes in regular and bass-tuned versions. I have the bass-tuned version and even with its minimal but tight bass I still think it is somewhat light on bass. The regular version IMO would be way too light on bass but I admit to never hearing the regular RP. That said, the RP does seem to produce the bass inherent on recordings, i.e. it doesn't try to add bass where none is present on the recording. Most headphones I have heard editorialize the sound with bass being prominent on most recordings but on bass-heavy recordings it becomes overwhelming. For instance, if you go to a venue with a DJ, initially the bass sounds exciting and satisfying but eventually it becomes tiresome and all songs start sounding the same. Most headphones I have heard sound this way but not the RP. If the bass is there you will get it with the RP bass-tuned version. If it is lightweight the RP will sound lightweight.
Thumbs up for Audio Emotion. Also bought my Thror from them recently. Good prices, rapid shipping, excellent service. 👍

Aug 8, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #8,182 of 10,023
Quick question for all former and current Magni and Gjallarhorn GH50 owner.

I had the Magni for a while and really liked it. Even so much so, that it could have been my closed back endgame but unfortunately my ears got pressed against the protruding driver grill/cover and hurt after a short amount of time. The pads are quite deep but the unusually protruding driver grill is taking away a lot of the depth.
I am really unlucky, that my ears are fairly sensitive :frowning2:

Can someone tell me, if the Gjallarhorn has the same type of driver grill? And if so, is it taking away just as much depth?

Thank you very much in advance.

Aug 8, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #8,183 of 10,023
@rlawry you can easily boost bass using less perforated or even non-perforated (ECL-03) Kennerton earpads - there would be tons of it, believe me 😂

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #8,184 of 10,023
I am really unlucky, that my ears are fairly sensitive
I have that same issue with my GH40. I can't wear it for more than 2-3 hours or else the edges of my ears that touch the grill start to itch from rubbing against it

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #8,185 of 10,023
@rlawry you can easily boost bass using less perforated or even non-perforated (ECL-03) Kennerton earpads - there would be tons of it, believe me 😂
Yes, I covered the inner perforations of the stock RP pads with electrical tape and the bass came up a little to where is it is suitable for my tastes. The GH50 is a lot like most headphones I have heard, being bass-prominent. The quality of the bass of that phone largely allows it to get away with its high bass level but I still find it a little fatiguing in the long run. Thanks for the suggestion.

Aug 8, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #8,186 of 10,023
I have that same issue with my GH40. I can't wear it for more than 2-3 hours or else the edges of my ears that touch the grill start to itch from rubbing against it
3 hours was my limit on the Magni as well. And the GH40 was another alternative I considered but already feared that I would be out of luck in regards to comfort from Kennerton cans:frowning2:
I even tried a pad change on the Magni but it destroyed the sound and was only marginal more comfortably.

Aug 9, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #8,187 of 10,023

I love the GH50 MK2 and have found when I first put them on my head I have that "too full" bass feeling. After I settle in for a few tunes, they become less prominent. Great staging. The GH50 MK2 is a great listen.

Those of you that have both, the RP and GH50 MK2 can chime in as to their fave listen and differences.

Aug 9, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #8,188 of 10,023
I'm listening to the GH50 MK1 and the bass seems too full for me. I'd like better quality bass like more separation? I want it closer to the Harman curve. Is it possible with the MK2 mod? Could someone summarize the changes from MK1 to MK2 again, please?

I had the Magni for a while and really liked it. Even so much so, that it could have been my closed back endgame but unfortunately my ears got pressed against the protruding driver grill/cover and hurt after a short amount of time. The pads are quite deep but the unusually protruding driver grill is taking away a lot of the depth.
You could order the gel pads from JM. They have more height/depth so your ears would touch the driver grill less.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #8,189 of 10,023
I'm listening to the GH50 MK1 and the bass seems too full for me. I'd like better quality bass like more separation? I want it closer to the Harman curve. Is it possible with the MK2 mod? Could someone summarize the changes from MK1 to MK2 again, please?

You could order the gel pads from JM. They have more height/depth so your ears would touch the driver grill less.
I would second that suggestion on the gel pads as they are stiffer and compress less than the stock pads. I would normally recommend having JM do his Mark 2 mods at the same time but the result will be more bass that might be too much even though the bass quality is the best I have heard. Spaciousness is also improved as is warmth and immediacy but if you are like me and my own tastes, you might like the Rognir Planar bass-tuned phones that are much more neutral in frequency response and are much more detailed, faster, more spacious, and more transparent. Some recordings like the added bass of the GH50 Mk 2 and others like the speed and detail of the RP. Too bad we can't have both.

Aug 9, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #8,190 of 10,023
64F8AEBE-1126-4DF8-A326-15F9590A18F3.jpg

96E48EBC-EA45-463C-8701-E16E4D9CAF02.jpg

I think it looks very cool. If anyone is interested https://www.jmaudioeditions.com/product-page/vali-neoteric-karelian-stabilized-birch-jm-editon-mk1

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back