Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jun 17, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #8,011 of 10,023
I agree with timeless sound.

It is funny when I look back at my profile here in Head-FI and see the years of things I have owned. I thought about this some years ago. I found a nice pair on Ebay for 539. How is the comfort, the pads look thin?
This is a bit off topic, but since you asked - I received the Yaxi pads and indeed they're an improvement in terms of feel and comfort. The memory foam is also much nicer. In terms of sound, if anything I hear more precision and greater clarity. I was demoing some TOTL open backs this morning, and guess what - I preferred humble Signature Pro....I hope you get a pair!

1110464.jpg1110465.jpg

Jun 17, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #8,012 of 10,023
This is a bit off topic, but since you asked - I received the Yaxi pads and indeed they're an improvement in terms of feel and comfort. The memory foam is also much nicer. In terms of sound, if anything I hear more precision and greater clarity. I was demoing some TOTL open backs this morning, and guess what - I preferred humble Signature Pro....I hope you get a pair!

Okay... I have a pair coming. The pads are a worthy upgrade?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #8,014 of 10,023
Jun 18, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #8,015 of 10,023
My daughter flipped out when she seen this that just arrived - she said thats her favorite headphone color ever - happy fathers day everyone!
valiblue.jpg

Jun 19, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #8,016 of 10,023
My daughter flipped out when she seen this that just arrived - she said thats her favorite headphone color ever - happy fathers day everyone!

Did you also just post these on Reddit? I have not heard of this brand before but they seem to have excellent looking headphones. They seem to be in the same vein as ZMF headphones.

Jun 19, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #8,017 of 10,023
• In my mind, the greatest combination of craftsmanship & sound quality in headphones is found in those from Kennerton and from ZMF.
• Same vein? Not quite. Kennertons feature low output impedance while ZMFs feature high output impedance. The two makers use different materials / drive principles for their products.
• MacMan31, if you still own a Schiit Valhalla 2, I strongly recommend that you look into the Gjallarhorn JM Edition as its partner. I assure you that that pairing is a musical ‘tour de force’. To hear the ‘Valhallahorn’ is to crave the ‘Valhallahorn”.
7F6A08AF-E233-4949-AA11-80F87F4BD73F.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #8,018 of 10,023
• In my mind, the greatest combination of craftsmanship & sound quality in headphones is found in those from Kennerton and from ZMF.
• Same vein? Not quite. Kennertons feature low output impedance while ZMFs feature high output impedance. The two makers use different materials / drive principles for their products.
• MacMan31, if you still own a Schiit Valhalla 2, I strongly recommend that you look into the Gjallarhorn JM Edition as its partner. I assure you that that pairing is a musical ‘tour de force’. To hear the ‘Valhallahorn’ is to crave the ‘Valhallahorn”.

You mean these? https://kennerton.org/shop/gjallarhorn-gh-50-dusk/

I no longer have the Valhalla 2. It has been sold. Still trying to sell the Lyr 3 as I now have the BHC with speedball and Feliks Audio Echo MKII. I may end up selling one of those as well. Unlike many of you I can't afford to keep them all.

Jun 20, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #8,019 of 10,023
Did you also just post these on Reddit? I have not heard of this brand before but they seem to have excellent looking headphones. They seem to be in the same vein as ZMF headphones.
Similar to ZMF in terms of materials, but totally different tuning. To put it crudely, ZMF tend to be mid-centric/forward headphones that thrive on acoustic music. Kennerton tend to be far more baalnced in their tuning with more incisive technicalities.

Jun 20, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #8,020 of 10,023
Sent my Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM Editions into @John Massaria, the guy who designed the original JM for Kennerton, to give them the full upgrade to the JM Edition MK2. Here is his website: https://www.jmaudioeditions.com/

The mod really just awakens these headphones. Basically it takes everything about the headphones and turns it up to 11, bass gets turned to 11.5-12. Everything is just a little bigger and bolder with more snap and punch behind it. The Headphones are still a little

The mod takes the already stellar sound stage of the JM and makes it even big with out adding any hollowness/airiness to the sound. I would say the MK2 might even be getting into the HD800/Rognir sound stage range, especially if you are using the fuzzy pads John sells. The sound stage is at its most impressive during live recordings. It is almost like you are sitting in the audience and the band in playing in front of you and you pick out where each instrument is one the stage. I can not over state how incredible the sound stage is on these headphones. Not just for a closed back but even for the $1700(for the stabilized wood version $1500 for non stabilized wood version) John is selling them for ($175 for the mod if you already own the Gjallerhorn GH50/JM.)

I have yet to find a sound that these headphones couldn't handle. Never once I have I noticed any details missing or any song feeling crowded or congested like what can happen with some closed back headphones. Every detail is exactly where it should be nothing is missing from any song.

The highs are super clean and pleasant. Cymbals and percussion really have a fantastic and snap followed by a great ring/sizzle that is not fatiguing or lacking in any way. I can't imagine anyone would find the highs lacking or under developed.

Bass is one of the main things that is changed on the mod. The bass is just as tight and controlled as the stock JM but it adds more impact and power behind it. With out adding so much that it becomes over bearing or bloated. There is no bleed into the mids and It also slightly increases the bass speed and its accuracy with in the sound stage. I could see that some people might find the bass to be a little to powerful especially if you are comping from a headphone like the HD800s or any highs focused headphones. Just give your ears some time to adjust and you will find that the bass is the perfect mix of power and control.

The mids are lush and silky giving the headphones a warm and comforting sound that is hard to beat when it comes to long listening sessions.

Plugging the bass ports really brings the bass power down from a 12 to more like 10.5.

With the bass ports unplugged the bass in really front and center and the star of the show. It is just so impressive and fun that you tend to lose track of everything else because you are too busy jamming out to music.

With the ports plugged everything else gets a chance to shine. It lets the highs and sound stage get more of the attention while the bass play backup in a very pleasant non intrusive way.

Adding the ports almost makes the MK2 a 2-for-1 headphone with how drastically it changes the primary focus of the sound.

The only real complaint I have is that adding the bass port does slightly remove some of the isolation on the headphones allowing a little more outside noise to get in than over the stock JM.

Looking from the out side you can see that he changed a couple of things over the stock JM Editions. He removed the black felt covering the driver and replaced the Driver guard with a 3D printed mesh diffusion grid. So you do have to be careful not to get any dust or dirt into the drivers if you are using the stock pads. He added a Bass port on the back that can be plugged to reduce the bass. Looking into the bass port you can see that he added the same 3D mess to the back of the driver and changed the the dampening to his own custom material.

You can really tell that the MK2 is what the JM is meant to be.

0620220003.jpg
0620220003a.jpg
0620220004.jpg
0620220004a.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #8,021 of 10,023
It's a great brand, although shipping is a big issue with the war in Ukraine. They're very ZMF-esque in that their cups are works of art, and they sound wonderful. I've had several of their models (Rognir, Rognir Dynamic, GH40, and the original Gjallarhorn but the LSA version). The Rognir is my endgame closed-back planar. The others were all very good headphones, but I stuck with my ZMF VCs for closed-back dynamics.

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #8,022 of 10,023
valiblue.jpg
Those are simply stunning. I'm obsessed with blue stabilized headphones. One of these days I need to hear some Valis. How much tinkering are you doing with these?

Jun 21, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #8,023 of 10,023
they arent stabilized but Baltic Sea - the stabilized I think is $200 more from Kennerton

Jun 21, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #8,024 of 10,023
What exactly does it mean to be stabilized vs what I'm assuming is a dye in Baltic Sea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back