Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jun 14, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #7,996 of 10,035
I hadn't realized John mods RDs also. What was the mod? What did it change/improve for you?
The mod took then from being heavily focused on the mids and balanced out the sound a little more across the spectrum. It improved detail, precision, and imaging. It also improved the soundstage by making it a little less hollow and airy and more natural sounding with out reducing its size. Overall it gave then a fuller sound.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #7,997 of 10,035
Pretty cool new update I got from Kennerton on the Karelian Birch Gjallarhorn.

Just sharing another update I got from Kennerton. Looks like I'll be receiving this headphone soon.

Attachments

• IMG_8344.JPG
    IMG_8344.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8345.JPG
    IMG_8345.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8348.JPG
    IMG_8348.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Jun 15, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #7,999 of 10,035
Rognir fans, you may be interested to know that there exists a portable headphone which shares some attributes with the Rognir planar. I'm referring to the overlooked Ultrasone Signature Pro. This is truly a remarkable headphone, especially given its price point. The imaging, detail, and soundstage are really quite striking, and the timbre/tonality remind me of the Rognir far more than, say, the Liric does. After quite an exhaustive search on the closed-back portable front, it's gratifying to find a pair that doesn't feel like a jarring downgrade from the Rognir. I can't recommend them enough!

1110435.jpg

Jun 15, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #8,000 of 10,035
I thought I would post some information on a wearable subwoofer that can be integrated into headphone listening. I found this when searching for a viable way to produce low frequencies to supplement those already produced by headphones. In my opinion, after switching from speaker-based systems to headphone systems, one of the main deficiencies is bass extension and impact no matter what phones are used. Yes, headphones can produce these low frequencies but not in the visceral way loudspeakers, including subwoofers, produce that pants-flapping, tactile bass feeling. So I have been searching for this type of bass and may have found it.

I have also found through headphone listening that we seem to get two types of mutually exclusive sound signatures. First, like with my Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50 JME2 phones, you tend to get bass-prominent, slower, warmer, darker sound. Or as with my Kennerton Rognir Planars, faster, detailed, transparent, spacious, treble-prominent sound. But in neither case, that visceral, sock-in-the-gut bass found with some speaker systems.

So you need to have a basic understanding of how bass works. To produce sound in the room it is necessary to propagate sound waves of varying wavelength. Since C=NU where C is the speed of sound, a relative constant 1130 ft/sec that varies slightly with sound pressure, and N is the wavelength of sound and U is the frequency, to get N for varying frequencies of sound we divide C by U. A table of wavelengths for varying frequencies is below.

Wavelengths In Our Rooms
You can see that the lower the frequency, the longer the wavelength. For low bass frequencies these sound wavelengths propagate for many feet, usually longer than any dimension in our standard listening rooms. Therefore, full-wave theory indicates we cannot produce full bass waves in our rooms and certainly not in small headphone earcups.

So how do speakers and headphones produce bass if the full wavelengths are not found? The answer is complicated (see the link below) but basically bass is produced through air pressurization and de-pressurization. In other words, to produce bass waves it is necessary to propagate air pressure waves. So at the leading edge of the bass pressure wave there is higher pressure in front, and behind it is lower pressure. You all know this by watching a woofer or subwoofer move forward and backward in its attempt to push air forward and backward. This bass pressurization and rarefaction (de-pressurization) is how we produce most bass in small enclosed spaces such as listening rooms, cars, and headphone earcups.

So when we feel bass act upon our bodies in space the nerves (proprioreceptors) in our skin and bones detect this as a bass pressurization wave. Since headphones are covering only a small portion of our bodies, our heads, we don't feel the same bass pressurization effect as we do with a big bass pressure wave pushing on our bodies. How do we get this big pressurization effect on our bodies using headphones? People have tried several solutions.

First, we could add a standard subwoofer localized to our seating position. The problem with this solution is that much of the bass is muffled by the pads on the headphones, reducing its effect. It also may be annoying to others around us.

Second, we can use a pistonic mechanical actuator like the Buttkicker, similar to how movie theaters vibrate chairs in the theater, www.thebuttkicker.com. This unit is attached to a listening chair or couch and generates low frequency rumble to simulate low bass.

The third way I know is through the use of a wearable pack that uses mechanical actuators to punch your body similarly to how a bass pressure wave would stimulate your skin and bone proprioreceptors and give the sensation of low bass including musical pitch. See www.subpac.com. These units have been out for a few years now and have been successfully used by movie and record producers, gamers, and music buffs similar to ourselves. There is a new Subpac model coming out later this year, the X1, and I ordered one for myself. Check it out and see if you think it might be the ticket to hearing and feeling real low bass.

I will report when I get mine later this year, hopefully.

BTW, I have no affiliation with any of these companies--I am just a music lover always looking for the most realistic musical event.

https://www.acousticfields.com/wavelengths-in-our-rooms/

Jun 15, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #8,002 of 10,035
Jun 16, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #8,004 of 10,035
Rognir fans, you may be interested to know that there exists a portable headphone which shares some attributes with the Rognir planar. I'm referring to the overlooked Ultrasone Signature Pro. This is truly a remarkable headphone, especially given its price point. The imaging, detail, and soundstage are really quite striking, and the timbre/tonality remind me of the Rognir far more than, say, the Liric does. After quite an exhaustive search on the closed-back portable front, it's gratifying to find a pair that doesn't feel like a jarring downgrade from the Rognir. I can't recommend them enough!

1110435.jpg
Those have been out for at least 10 years huh? I remember hearing about them quite a few years ago. It is amazing how these things resurface, which could really be a testament to their sound. I think the fact they are SE has kept me from ever purchasing them.

Jun 16, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #8,005 of 10,035
Those have been out for at least 10 years huh? I remember hearing about them quite a few years ago. It is amazing how these things resurface, which could really be a testament to their sound. I think the fact they are SE has kept me from ever purchasing them.
Absolutely, they're old. Which is also a nice reminder that quality sound is timeless, if I may say. I mean, they easily outclass many of the portable headphones I've tried over the last 3 or 4 years.

In terms of SE, Moon Audio do a nice looking balanced mod here. I am running them solely from Hugo 2 or Mojo 2, and find both of these pairings exceptional (Mojo 2 is in some sense the preferred source), so SE works fine for me. Plus, the Moon Audio mod is pricy. In the EU, you can get these for about 550 Euros if you look around.

Jun 16, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #8,006 of 10,035
Absolutely, they're old. Which is also a nice reminder that quality sound is timeless, if I may say. I mean, they easily outclass many of the portable headphones I've tried over the last 3 or 4 years.

In terms of SE, Moon Audio do a nice looking balanced mod here. I am running them solely from Hugo 2 or Mojo 2, and find both of these pairings exceptional (Mojo 2 is in some sense the preferred source), so SE works fine for me. Plus, the Moon Audio mod is pricy. In the EU, you can get these for about 550 Euros if you look around.
I agree with timeless sound.

It is funny when I look back at my profile here in Head-FI and see the years of things I have owned. I thought about this some years ago. I found a nice pair on Ebay for 539. How is the comfort, the pads look thin?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #8,007 of 10,035
I agree with timeless sound.

It is funny when I look back at my profile here in Head-FI and see the years of things I have owned. I thought about this some years ago. I found a nice pair on Ebay for 539. How is the comfort, the pads look thin?
I actually seem to recall seeing you pop up on the Ultrasone thread when I was sifting through it, but it dates back to like 2010 or so....

The comfort takes a little getting used to. The pads are indeed a bit thin and I've ordered these to see if they improve the situation. In addition, the clamp pressure is fairly robust and the headband is not optimal. However, I've found that once I adjusted to the feel of them on my head, they don't generate heatspots and I adjust very swiftly to the clamp. There is a mod where you can install an HD650 headpad inside the headband, which I tried and it works. But I found after some time, it's not really needed. So, in short, they're not going an award for comfort, but they're more comfortable than something like the Campfire Cascade or the Final D8000 Pro. And very much worth it for the sound.

Let me know your impressions if you get them. 539 is a good price. Anyone who likes the basic timbre and speed/precision/detail of the Rognir will like these, I'm sure.

Jun 17, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #8,009 of 10,035

Users who are viewing this thread

Back