Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jan 30, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #7,081 of 10,023
I originally listened to the stock OFC cable that came with my Gjallarhorn GH50 JMEs and while it sounded decent its major drawback was its extreme microphonics to the point where it was disconcerting. I had to sit like a statue or I heard loud scraping sounds and thumps through the phones. How Kennerton can supply such a flawed cable with the fabulous Gjallarhorns is beyond my understanding. So I bought a Forza Audioworks Claire Mark 2 cable for a reasonable price and while it was minimally microphonic, the sound was more open and detailed with better bass. Then I picked up a Synergistic Research Foundation cable and it was another step up sonically with an even faster and more detailed sound. So yes, headphone cables make a difference.

Jan 30, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #7,082 of 10,023
Updated music lists I want to share:

Jan 30, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #7,083 of 10,023
Worked with a great guy from Russia who help me order some custom Rognir Planar and and Thror Novel. Look at these beauties in Stabilized Russian Karelian Birch. He was great to work with.
IMG-20220126-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20220126-WA0001.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
1643302805904.jpg
1643302805934.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #7,085 of 10,023
Nice to see more impressions on rögnir dynamic and gh40 :) At first I did not like Rögnir D much. After couple of weeks I like it even less.

So whats positive about Rögnir D? Size of the soundstage. In my opinion for anything else than soundstage it's just average/bad for The price. Why?

I don't like the midrange. It's allmost honky and shouty. It's a fine line between rich and over the top mids and IMO Rögnir falls at wrong side of the fence. Of course that is also matter of personal preference. It was said that gh40 has recessed mids compared to rögnir D. I agree, in comparison they do. However, when measured gh40's midrange is very close to hd650 for example. Hd650's midrange is also very close to Harman target. So I would not call gh40 recessed if Harman would be somewhat average that people usually like. Also as for upper midrange gh40 has much better balance, because at that range rögnir is bit recessed instead. It should give weight and warmth to the mids but for me it won't because frequencies below 1khz are way too emhasized. Unfortunaly it does decrease clarity which is usual side effect of such tuning.

As for other things...blah. After tax Rögnir D is allmost 1800€ and for that kind of money it won't deliver. Technically biggest problem is hazyness which is propably caused by reflections inside the cups. Rögnirs design is bizarre. Kennerton says those labyrinth cups increase soundstage because it delays the soundwaves that are bouncing back. First of all I don't think it's good idea to have anything intentionally echo back. If you want to do that it propably would have been a good idea to drill some holes in the baffle so reflecting soundwaves would have somewhere else to go than inside of the driver. There are reasons why every closed headphone that cost more than 10€ has holes in the baffle. Of course, I could be wrong but I think it's these acoustic issues that cause this low fidelity sound.

Another thing that annoys me: driver. Graphene is cool. Having a driver based on a €5 chi-fi driver designed 10+ years ago is not. I have dissassembled atleast dozen headphones that have same driver enclosure. First one was Somic mh463 way Back in 2010 or so. Screenshot_20220127-100230.jpg
Even though it has a driver chassis of a cheapo China driver does not mean that the driver is bad. I just don't want to see cheap stuff like that on a 1700€ headphone. Diaphgram is of course better than on that chifi driver. Perhaps magnets are too. It's hard to tell, because kennertons marketing makes little sense. Is it a N52 magnet? How many teslas?

Instead of actual info they say their ndfeb magnets are four times stronger than competitors. Wow...nice and vague. And ndfeb is just neodiym which is used by literally everyone. Same for ccaw Voice coil, nothing new and nothing that justifies the price. Graphene is cool like I said but it's not a get out of jail freecard. There are many headphones with graphene coated drivers, and they're usually less than 200€. I think JBL has one, There is Xiaomi Mi etc...

So yeah. Not impressed. GH40 is a different story. I really like it and I think it's superior to Rögnir D both in tuning and technicalities.

In short:

- Bass. Alot of bass. It's at first hard to hear technical competence of gh40 because it is so bassy. Underneath it all there is a VERY good headphone.

- I like it's linear bass balance. It's not like most closed backs that have very uneven bass boost. Still Gh40 could use More sub bass (or less midbass) but overall bass tuning is much
better than on Focal Celestee for example.

- Remarkably flat midrange and treble. Propably very close to Harman because it was pretty much flat on HEQ when I measured it.

- much cleaner background than on rögnir , less Haze, reverbs -> increased resolution. Acoustic design off gh40 makes More sense than rögnir's so I'm not surprised.

- Insane macrodynamics. Maybe btter than anything in Price range or atleast on par with Elex, He6se etc. Suspension drivers are great like that. Much improved over rögnir.

- enchanting combination of Power and delicate approach on music. Midrange can have this airy and ethereal feel to it but it can go very fast to dense and powerfull. Most headphones handle just one of those styles. Only headphone I've heard that is better at that than gh40 is Focal utopia.

- Soundstage is quite a bit smaller than on rögnir. It's decent/intimate. However because gh40 is cleaner headphone in general it has more pinpoint imaging than Rögnir. Rögnir is large but kind of vague in positioning sounds. It's like Rögnir is huge field in a foggy weather and gh40 is a normal room without fog or any other schiit messing with the perception.

Overall I think GH40 is notable improvement over rögnir and worth the money. Rögnir is one of the most disappointing +1000€ headphones I've heard.
Thank you for this comparison!
I was wondering, is there any sonic quality difference if you play them through your phone or through a DAC?

Jan 31, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #7,087 of 10,023
If the Ferrum OOR blows my socks off, I'll message you to sell my Aries to you if you're interested :) Sounds like you miss that amp quite a bit, haha
Ha, I do miss it indeed. I mean, I don't really need it anymore because the TT2 does the job but something about the Aries stays with me. Also good enough for a double review

Look forward to hearing your impressions of the Ferrum. I've been keeping an eye on that.

Feb 1, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #7,090 of 10,023
Rognir Dynamic.
The very first words about the main thing. I listen to headphones all the time since their arrival as the main and only ones. And with the exception of the first days - without the desire to switch to something else, on the contrary, with understanding - if tomorrow I move to a desert island with a single pair of headphones, I am ready to take Rognir Dynamic with me now.

I will start the review with the first impressions - they were very different from the final ones, as in the case of Stealth. (In my opinion, it vividly reflects the value of subjective express-impressions in general). At the first auditions, two or three days in descending order, I was surprised by the dull darkness of the treble (it was not the case of "too much bass", but the lack of information on the highs), overall slowness and a strange hypertrophy of sound images. I will especially focus on the latter - the impression was as if you were looking at each element of the soundstage through a separate magnifying glass and the more energy on the bass, the more the image swells. But after about a week, the impressions settled down and did not change further.

So, about the sound. The headphones are comfortably darkened, but in moderation, without going into the extremes like non-fazor Audeze LCD-2 or so. The character of the HF is responsible for "comfort", if the "brightness", "sibilants" irritate you, especially for long listening - it's worth looking at these cans. At the same time, I can't say that the details on highs are erased here. Mids - slightly warm, velvety, but without going into excessive sweetness. The bass is rounded, slightly fluffy, but at the same time elastic and mobile, a kind of energetic woolly beast. Bass not record-breaking in resolution, a little thoughtful. The volume of the bass is higher than neutral, but without busting and climbing into the mids, the "woolly beast" attracts attention, but respects the neighbors and does not obscure them. In general, fairly balanced cans, taking into account the correction for a dark character. The volume of the soundstage is perhaps more than the average for the closed headphones. And there is no feeling that you are listening to closed headphones, as in the case of the planar magnetic Rognir.

I will add that the notes above and further on genres - on stock ear pads and a stock cable from planar mangnetic Rognir . I listened to this configuration almost all the time. It seemed to me the most delicious and intense in character. Along with the cans came 2 more pairs of pads, notes about them below.

Pads similar in format to the basic ones, but with a slightly denser filling. A slightly lighter and more detailed sound signature. The treble is brighter, the resolution on the bass is higher, the headphones play a little faster. For a change, if you want to make a more neutral and less tasteful setup - quite an option. Aggressive genres probably sound more dynamic/energetic on these pads. Subtle genres and slower metal metal (i.e. Doom) are perhaps more interesting on the stock.

More compact and even denser stuffed ear pads. Another step towards a slightly brighter (however, the headphones remain darkish) and dynamic sound (however, the headphones remain not the record holders of low-frequency resolution, with somewhat unhurried attacks). In general, if you want to achieve the most fierce sound from Rognir Dynamic, you should turn to these pads. Or it is possible, paradoxically, to achieve the most neutral sound, the notes on the sound are higher - in comparison with the stock. It will be necessary to get acquainted with these pads more closely when the current sound signature gets boring.

(And just in case, I will add that the overall character of the headphones does not change radically right here by 180 degrees, you will not get new headphones by changing the pads).

Let's compare it with some headphones. All headphones below, in general, have a close - darkish, with a serious bass - character. Rognir planar magnetic could be safely called an older brother. LCD - cousins.
Planar magnetic Rognir. Higher level overall than RD. The resolution in the entire sound range is higher. The soundstage is a little wider. The bass is planar magnetic-like. On the side of RD, perhaps not the technique, but an exceptionally charismatic sound signature and a very light amplifier/power needs.
Audeze LCD-2 and LCD-3 (I had non-fazor version). For fazor-versions, the relationship RD would be perhaps even closer. And non-fazor 2 and 3 are still slower than RD. The character of the LCD-2 is noticeably darker and "simpler" than that of the RD, of the obvious advantages, except that the planar magnetic character remains, in general, the choice is the charisma of the LCD-2 or RD . With LCD-3, the question is more complicated - LCD-3 pours honey and sweetness, knocking down you from the legs. But do you need it in everything you listen to? RD is more neutral noticeably than LCD-3 (although not to such depths as LCD-X), in terms of technology at the same time, I will especially assume that RD is simpler than LCD-3. It's a pity I didn't hear, XC, perhaps it would be most correct to compare RD with them.

By genre, there is no reason not to start with metal. It is already obvious that headphones are good on metal. But where they are especially good.
Industrial. Light and mobile character with a percussive bass is great for the genre. Slightly softened bass and the overall lukewarm taste of the sound rather adds piquancy, does not spoil the impression on the genre.
Sludge, Stoner. Almost perfect. A little slow, a warmed-up fog, a slightly vintage fleur, the whole structure swings smoothly and rhythmically, it's set in motion at the right pace by the bass base.
Doom. Doom, in pursuit of Sludge and Stoner is beautiful. But for the splendor of the total against the background of competition, planar magnetic cans still needed.
Heavy Metal. Sincerely, the most slightly rustic, cheerful and sweeping, fun and reckless. Just great, in short.
Black. Dark on Black ) Let it not be super technical, but extremely charming.
Alternative. Fun, fervent and cheerful - good. It would be a little more aggressive and it would be ultimately cool.
Thrash. Energy splashes, flies through the veins. Banging your head on the table and the walls. For the genre - the very thing.

Where something is missing on the metal
Power. In general, they are normal, but I want more space and freedom here, instead of a somewhat darkly warm and compact.
Death, Grindcore. For extreme and super-technical - slightly slow and over-warm.
Symphonic, Progressive. To reduce slightly the bass and super-energetic enthusiasm, to add intelligent accuracy. Sympho/progressive plays like Black, funny of course, but it's not obvious that it's really great.
Goth. Warm-optimistic, not the very best of the possible.

Jazz. With all their energy, RD are able to switch into delicacy and slow sincerity. Perhaps these are not the most mid-centric headphones, but vocals, especially female jazz vocals, are by no means lost in the background, reaching the expected lines of intimacy (let Diana Krall and Youn Sun Nah be witness). You can wander through the thoughtful positive ACT without breaking away and without removing a little sad smile from your face. Unless they will not allow us to collapse hopelessly in anguish of ECM, having supported us with RD unrestrained optimism - but is this a minus or a plus?

In total, RD are excellent headphones for my ears, extremely worthy of attention if their sound signature is close to you in general.

Feb 1, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #7,091 of 10,023
Thank you for the nice, thorough, detailed review. It would be great if someone also made a comparison of the RD and Gjallarhorn GH50.

Feb 1, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #7,092 of 10,023
Rognir Dynamic.
The very first words about the main thing. I listen to headphones all the time since their arrival as the main and only ones. And with the exception of the first days - without the desire to switch to something else, on the contrary, with understanding - if tomorrow I move to a desert island with a single pair of headphones, I am ready to take Rognir Dynamic with me now.

I will start the review with the first impressions - they were very different from the final ones, as in the case of Stealth. (In my opinion, it vividly reflects the value of subjective express-impressions in general). At the first auditions, two or three days in descending order, I was surprised by the dull darkness of the treble (it was not the case of "too much bass", but the lack of information on the highs), overall slowness and a strange hypertrophy of sound images. I will especially focus on the latter - the impression was as if you were looking at each element of the soundstage through a separate magnifying glass and the more energy on the bass, the more the image swells. But after about a week, the impressions settled down and did not change further.

So, about the sound. The headphones are comfortably darkened, but in moderation, without going into the extremes like non-fazor Audeze LCD-2 or so. The character of the HF is responsible for "comfort", if the "brightness", "sibilants" irritate you, especially for long listening - it's worth looking at these cans. At the same time, I can't say that the details on highs are erased here. Mids - slightly warm, velvety, but without going into excessive sweetness. The bass is rounded, slightly fluffy, but at the same time elastic and mobile, a kind of energetic woolly beast. Bass not record-breaking in resolution, a little thoughtful. The volume of the bass is higher than neutral, but without busting and climbing into the mids, the "woolly beast" attracts attention, but respects the neighbors and does not obscure them. In general, fairly balanced cans, taking into account the correction for a dark character. The volume of the soundstage is perhaps more than the average for the closed headphones. And there is no feeling that you are listening to closed headphones, as in the case of the planar magnetic Rognir.

I will add that the notes above and further on genres - on stock ear pads and a stock cable from planar mangnetic Rognir . I listened to this configuration almost all the time. It seemed to me the most delicious and intense in character. Along with the cans came 2 more pairs of pads, notes about them below.

Pads similar in format to the basic ones, but with a slightly denser filling. A slightly lighter and more detailed sound signature. The treble is brighter, the resolution on the bass is higher, the headphones play a little faster. For a change, if you want to make a more neutral and less tasteful setup - quite an option. Aggressive genres probably sound more dynamic/energetic on these pads. Subtle genres and slower metal metal (i.e. Doom) are perhaps more interesting on the stock.

More compact and even denser stuffed ear pads. Another step towards a slightly brighter (however, the headphones remain darkish) and dynamic sound (however, the headphones remain not the record holders of low-frequency resolution, with somewhat unhurried attacks). In general, if you want to achieve the most fierce sound from Rognir Dynamic, you should turn to these pads. Or it is possible, paradoxically, to achieve the most neutral sound, the notes on the sound are higher - in comparison with the stock. It will be necessary to get acquainted with these pads more closely when the current sound signature gets boring.

(And just in case, I will add that the overall character of the headphones does not change radically right here by 180 degrees, you will not get new headphones by changing the pads).

Let's compare it with some headphones. All headphones below, in general, have a close - darkish, with a serious bass - character. Rognir planar magnetic could be safely called an older brother. LCD - cousins.
Planar magnetic Rognir. Higher level overall than RD. The resolution in the entire sound range is higher. The soundstage is a little wider. The bass is planar magnetic-like. On the side of RD, perhaps not the technique, but an exceptionally charismatic sound signature and a very light amplifier/power needs.
Audeze LCD-2 and LCD-3 (I had non-fazor version). For fazor-versions, the relationship RD would be perhaps even closer. And non-fazor 2 and 3 are still slower than RD. The character of the LCD-2 is noticeably darker and "simpler" than that of the RD, of the obvious advantages, except that the planar magnetic character remains, in general, the choice is the charisma of the LCD-2 or RD . With LCD-3, the question is more complicated - LCD-3 pours honey and sweetness, knocking down you from the legs. But do you need it in everything you listen to? RD is more neutral noticeably than LCD-3 (although not to such depths as LCD-X), in terms of technology at the same time, I will especially assume that RD is simpler than LCD-3. It's a pity I didn't hear, XC, perhaps it would be most correct to compare RD with them.

By genre, there is no reason not to start with metal. It is already obvious that headphones are good on metal. But where they are especially good.
Industrial. Light and mobile character with a percussive bass is great for the genre. Slightly softened bass and the overall lukewarm taste of the sound rather adds piquancy, does not spoil the impression on the genre.
Sludge, Stoner. Almost perfect. A little slow, a warmed-up fog, a slightly vintage fleur, the whole structure swings smoothly and rhythmically, it's set in motion at the right pace by the bass base.
Doom. Doom, in pursuit of Sludge and Stoner is beautiful. But for the splendor of the total against the background of competition, planar magnetic cans still needed.
Heavy Metal. Sincerely, the most slightly rustic, cheerful and sweeping, fun and reckless. Just great, in short.
Black. Dark on Black ) Let it not be super technical, but extremely charming.
Alternative. Fun, fervent and cheerful - good. It would be a little more aggressive and it would be ultimately cool.
Thrash. Energy splashes, flies through the veins. Banging your head on the table and the walls. For the genre - the very thing.

Where something is missing on the metal
Power. In general, they are normal, but I want more space and freedom here, instead of a somewhat darkly warm and compact.
Death, Grindcore. For extreme and super-technical - slightly slow and over-warm.
Symphonic, Progressive. To reduce slightly the bass and super-energetic enthusiasm, to add intelligent accuracy. Sympho/progressive plays like Black, funny of course, but it's not obvious that it's really great.
Goth. Warm-optimistic, not the very best of the possible.

Jazz. With all their energy, RD are able to switch into delicacy and slow sincerity. Perhaps these are not the most mid-centric headphones, but vocals, especially female jazz vocals, are by no means lost in the background, reaching the expected lines of intimacy (let Diana Krall and Youn Sun Nah be witness). You can wander through the thoughtful positive ACT without breaking away and without removing a little sad smile from your face. Unless they will not allow us to collapse hopelessly in anguish of ECM, having supported us with RD unrestrained optimism - but is this a minus or a plus?

In total, RD are excellent headphones for my ears, extremely worthy of attention if their sound signature is close to you in general.
Amazing comparison 🙂
Anybody has one between Rognir Dynamic and Gjallahorn GH-40?
It's also a new model and at almost half the price of the Dynamic.
Thanks!!

Feb 1, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #7,094 of 10,023
Thank you for the nice, thorough, detailed review. It would be great if someone also made a comparison of the RD and Gjallarhorn GH50.
This is also what I'm waiting for

Users who are viewing this thread

Back