Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jan 27, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #7,052 of 10,023
Sounds like the GH50 JME mk2. What's more, the mk2 has a larger than usual soundstage.
Agreed. John's mods using the fractal fabrics and modifications behind the graphene driver makes for a continuous soundstage in and around your head rather than the usual and disconcerting effect of three blobs of sound: inside your head and immediately outside your ears. There is also a lot more depth and the sound is more transparent.

Jan 28, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #7,053 of 10,023
Or comparing the GH40 to the Magni of course .... its like asking me to choose between two favorite shoes.... I wear em both but never at the same time... (especially since my daughter took my GH40 to school - good news she's coming home this weekend with the them so- but they are hers now and well I'm proud she covets them- she has excellent taste in music too )

thumbndail.jpg
Can you please provide a brief breakdown comparing these two headphones?

Jan 28, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #7,054 of 10,023
Does anyone have a recommendation for an upgrade from my Singxer SA-1 ss amp that supports the Rögnir (planar) well? In the best case, the price should be between 1000-1500 euros. Flux lab amps are out since I need a smaller footprint.

Jan 28, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #7,055 of 10,023
Does anyone have a recommendation for an upgrade from my Singxer SA-1 ss amp that supports the Rögnir (planar) well? In the best case, the price should be between 1000-1500 euros. Flux lab amps are out since I need a smaller footprint.
If you can up your budget a little, I'd strongly recommend the Sparkos Labs Aries amp.

Jan 28, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #7,056 of 10,023
Alright all, needing some recommendations here...I have the Magni v2 in Bog Oak, and they're great, but similar enough to my Focal Elegia that I'm looking to add something with a slightly different sound signature, or just that little bit "more".

I would put these in rotation with my DCA Aeon 2 Noire and my Elegias. My source is either a Burson Conductor 3R or Burson Playmate 2, with both v6 vivid and v6 classic opamps available to play with.

I'm currently looking between a set of Gjallarhorn GH50 JM Edition or the Rognir Dynamics...the horn loaded drivers of the GH intrigue me and might give me what I'm looking for, but when I get into that price range I start looking at the Rognir's also, thinking that should be technically "better" than the GH, but what are the tradeoffs of the GH that I'm gaining from the Rognir for the extra few hundred dollars?

I would assume that either of those would be a definite step up from the Magni's in terms of technical performace? @John Massaria I'm hoping you can shed some insight on these as I've read your reviews of the Kennertons many times over and was what drew me to trying the Magni's in the first place.

Jan 28, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #7,057 of 10,023
Honestly the only one that strikes me as good for on-the-go listening is the DCA. But you've got a good point. I consider the GH40 to be a step up from what I've heard in $500-$1000 closed backs - which is certainly not an exhaustive list. E-MU Teak, Fostex TH-X00, Focal Elegia... I think that's it. I think it fits a really interesting niche that's underserved, that being a really good-sounding pair of cans that are (relatively) easy to take around with you for listening on the train or on a plane or walking around.

Am I the only (perhaps) fool who wears his GH 50 JM Mk2 on the train? But agree the DCAs (previously owned a pair) and the GH 40 (haven’t heard them) look more suited to the task.

Jan 28, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #7,058 of 10,023
Darn I was about to recommend a Flux.

If you want a (very) small footprint which can drive the Rögnir planar well, the Chord Anni is very good but I’m not sure what it runs in euros.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #7,059 of 10,023
I only wear my Gjallarhorn GH50 JME Mark 2 phones while being driven by my desktop Quicksilver tube amp. I guess I could find a smaller amp to serve as a mobile device, maybe even my archaic iPhone 6 that still has a headphone jack. I would most certainly get a much lighter, more compact set of phones instead and give up the JME sonics and listen to the big rigs at home.

Jan 28, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #7,060 of 10,023
I only wear my Gjallarhorn GH50 JME Mark 2 phones while being driven by my desktop Quicksilver tube amp. I guess I could find a smaller amp to serve as a mobile device, maybe even my archaic iPhone 6 that still has a headphone jack. I would most certainly get a much lighter, more compact set of phones instead and give up the JME sonics and listen to the big rigs at home.
I went the portable amp route (micro iDSD sig) because for budgetary and OCD reasons I only allow myself one headphone in each category (dynamic versus planar, open back versus closed and no estats) otherwise I’d have more headphones (than I already have). I already made an exception for the GH 50 as it is a “horn” dynamic.

Jan 28, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #7,061 of 10,023
A very good portable with the JME II is the Questyle QP2R

Jan 28, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #7,062 of 10,023
Not sure about iphone 6, but questyle m12 works really well with windows and android devices, and drives the JME mk2 with superb control.

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #7,063 of 10,023
I want to try the quicksilver amp so bad with my hps vs my Apache w upgrades

Jan 29, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #7,064 of 10,023
Jan 29, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #7,065 of 10,023
Rognir.Duo.Web.02.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back