Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jan 29, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #7,067 of 10,023
Jan 30, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #7,068 of 10,023
20220129_202230.jpg

When it comes to cables, I am usually a bit skeptical about the sound difference they make. But when I bought the GH50 JM, I also ordered a custom cable with it. I knew the stock cable would not be practical with its 1/4" jack. I also read that it was stiff and microphonic. So I've been using the custom cable without even unwrapping the stock one. But today I decided to compare them.

First of all, the custom cable is soft, flexible, and not microphonic unlike the stiff stock one. The braided sleeving is pretty thick which makes it less portable. But my iBasso DX300 isn't very portable either. But I am fine with a transportable concept. It's also worth noting that my custom cable didn't come with a splitter which I don't care about.

Sound wise, this is where it gets interesting. The custom cable does make a difference in fact. It's just on another level. I've been switching between both cables back and forth, and in my opinion, the sound has much more clarity with the custom cable. It also makes the sound more airy and vivid. After switching back to the stock cable, it becomes obvious how the music sounds cramped and less detailed.

This was an interesting experience. I appreciate the custom cable even more now.

On another note, unfortunately, the Kennerton's 3.5mm connectors are not compatible with my other headphone Denon AH-D9200. And vice versa, the Denon's 3.5mm connectors are not compatible with the GH50.

JMEdition_Custom_Cable.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #7,070 of 10,023
first (unqualified) impressions after 1 day having the Rögnir Dynamic here with me:
  • the non-perforated pads of the Dynamic are very nice indeed (probably will get an additional set for the Planar)
  • wood cup depth is little shallower than the planar version
  • the Rögnir and Rögnir Dynamic definitely share similar DNA / tuning philosophy sonically, but yet different
  • bass quality nuances due to different driver technologies as expected
  • seems Kennerton ran out of ink for the text on the yokes on my set :wink:
Rognir.Duo.Web.03.png

Rognir.Duo.Web.04.png

Rognir.Duo.Web.05.png
Rognir.Duo.Web.06.png

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #7,071 of 10,023
I'm waiting for my Rognir dynamic, will I be disappointed?

Jan 30, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #7,075 of 10,023
Then you should be fine.

I've not heard the Rognir Dynamic but if it does share the DNA of the planar version, as @godmax says above, then I don't think you can go wrong. Other folks can help more.
Roderick's post worried me

Jan 30, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #7,078 of 10,023
You already have headphones incoming so, why worry? It was just one persons opinion on the internet. Decide with your own ears when you get the headphones :)
because I was in doubt whether to take the Rognir or the Gjallhorn JM 50, I wouldn't want to be wrong

Jan 30, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #7,079 of 10,023
I hope you like it. If not, I think you can return it for 14 days. I'm not entirely sure about that though.

If it makes anyone feel any better I think Rögnir is easy to approach. I think many people will like it. It's not offensive in it's tuning and it's easy to drive so amp requirements won't be an issue.

Jan 30, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #7,080 of 10,023
20220129_202230.jpg

When it comes to cables, I am usually a bit skeptical about the sound difference they make. But when I bought the GH50 JM, I also ordered a custom cable with it. I knew the stock cable would not be practical with its 1/4" jack. I also read that it was stiff and microphonic. So I've been using the custom cable without even unwrapping the stock one. But today I decided to compare them.

First of all, the custom cable is soft, flexible, and not microphonic unlike the stiff stock one. The braided sleeving is pretty thick which makes it less portable. But my iBasso DX300 isn't very portable either. But I am fine with a transportable concept. It's also worth noting that my custom cable didn't come with a splitter which I don't care about.

Sound wise, this is where it gets interesting. The custom cable does make a difference in fact. It's just on another level. I've been switching between both cables back and forth, and in my opinion, the sound has much more clarity with the custom cable. It also makes the sound more airy and vivid. After switching back to the stock cable, it becomes obvious how the music sounds cramped and less detailed.

This was an interesting experience. I appreciate the custom cable even more now.

On another note, unfortunately, the Kennerton's 3.5mm connectors are not compatible with my other headphone Denon AH-D9200. And vice versa, the Denon's 3.5mm connectors are not compatible with the GH50.

JMEdition_Custom_Cable.jpg
That's a good looking cable. I use to have a few custom cables from Arctic Cables, but now I use the same cable for most all of my headphones. I have 3 of the 4.4mm balanced Meze silver upgrade cables on hand. Works with my 99 Classics, B&O H6 (modded), Kennerton, Denon, Quad era-1, and Ibasso SR2. Keeps it simple, and in all about simplicity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back