Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Dec 3, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #6,496 of 10,023
@John Massaria, which Kennerton model is the one you've just published in "Pics of headphones"?
thats the Vali I think from Kennerton facebook page lol- I haven't visited it for a while and I had to share!
you mean this one?
258196147_4441572962627708_4428748024934188665_n.jpg

Dec 3, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #6,497 of 10,023
Untitled.pngsony-mdr-cd3000-3159670.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/KennertonA...916786626659/4434916693293335/?type=3&theater

Not sure what this is but searching MDRCD-3000 is a sony product that I think Kennerton modified and made the ear cup to tune the sound maybe I d k - im guessing
I may be wrong but the way I read the announcement is they will take your CD3000 and customize it. I believe the CD3000 is hard to find and now goes used for a lot. I think some called it the baby R10 from Sony.

Dec 4, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #6,498 of 10,023
thats the Vali I think from Kennerton facebook page lol- I haven't visited it for a while and I had to share!
you mean this one? 258196147_4441572962627708_4428748024934188665_n.jpg
Yes, I'm accustomed to your GH JM 50 pics and that one surprised me :wink:

Dec 4, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #6,499 of 10,023
Good afternoon,

Sorry for the offtopic, but maybe somebody can help me. I want to send my lsa hp2 ultra to John for doing mk2 mod: I think We can enhance our headphones for a very reasonably price.

Problem: I live in Europe (Barcelona, Spain). What are the custom fees -if any- if I send the hp's to USA? And after the mod, John will send me back the lsa's...spanish customs awaiting my item...

Regards,

Antonio

Dec 4, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #6,500 of 10,023
Good afternoon,

Sorry for the offtopic, but maybe somebody can help me. I want to send my lsa hp2 ultra to John for doing mk2 mod: I think We can enhance our headphones for a very reasonably price.

Problem: I live in Europe (Barcelona, Spain). What are the custom fees -if any- if I send the hp's to USA? And after the mod, John will send me back the lsa's...spanish customs awaiting my item...

Regards,

Antonio
John has mentioned his mod can't be done on the LSA version as it is designed slightly different from the Kennerton Version.

Dec 4, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #6,501 of 10,023
John has mentioned his mod can't be done on the LSA version as it is designed slightly different from the Kennerton Version.

Hi audio addict:

Yes, it is possible to do the mod in lsa hp2 ultra. According to John's words:

"The idea was LSA has a flat back but once I looked inside it’s all same as gh50 so it can be upgraded in every way but the flat part
That includes the driver seal the driver wood cup area with fractal fibreglass and wool stuffing and the resonator as well as front fabric and cups

The dots also would be installed around horn so you get pin point accurate instruments and sound"

Dec 4, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #6,503 of 10,023
Hi audio addict:

Yes, it is possible to do the mod in lsa hp2 ultra. According to John's words:

"The idea was LSA has a flat back but once I looked inside it’s all same as gh50 so it can be upgraded in every way but the flat part
That includes the driver seal the driver wood cup area with fractal fibreglass and wool stuffing and the resonator as well as front fabric and cups

The dots also would be installed around horn so you get pin point accurate instruments and sound"
Buenas Antonio, bienvenido a head-fi :beerchug: Ten mucho cuidado por aquí porque los billetes suelen irse de las manos :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

About your question, I think that shipping to US and then returning here and afterthat pay the customs will be a good amount of cash. I've just seen what amazon.com charges if you buy a product there to ship to Europe and is a good amount...

Have a good time here and, the most important, enjoy your favourite tunes :L3000:

Dec 4, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #6,504 of 10,023
If I can weigh in here, in my estimation based on my experience with Gjallarhorn modifications by John, even with high shipping costs to and from the US, it will easily be worth the money and time to have your LSAs modded. This is assuming the mods of the LSA resemble those of the Gjallarhorns and the resultant sound will be similarly lifted. John will be able to weigh in more here.

Dec 4, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #6,505 of 10,023
I continue to enjoy the Rögnir very much (having normal tuning with standard perforated pads), but I really need EQ on these, otherwise I find the vocals subdued (even I understand this tuning was done on purpose to push them back to further increase the perceived soundstage depth). Gladly the EQ settings by Amir (ASR) fit also very well on mine, even that was meant for the bass heavy version with different pads. They sound so wide, clear and ethereal and the bass slam is there, when the track calls for it (but not exaggerated)
1637166731834.png

I can understand what you mean even I received my HE6se v2 after the Rögnir, but still like it very much (with EQ)! But the bass slam/impact is on a different league on the Hifiman, doubt many other headphones (dynamic/planar) can rival that.

I actually got my Rögnir today and tried different pads. For me the ZMF universe pads are a perfect match. They also fit quiet nicely and helps with the bass. I actually love the fit compared to the stock pads.

Dec 4, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #6,506 of 10,023
Shipping would be steep I can’t call it fair these days in anyway shape or form but what’s fair in this world outside our own control - if you want the upgrade I’ll do it but shipping is on the owner not included for upgrade though- I would double bubble wrap the cups and double box - pm me we can discuss

Dec 4, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #6,507 of 10,023
I actually got my Rögnir today and tried different pads. For me the ZMF universe pads are a perfect match. They also fit quiet nicely and helps with the bass. I actually love the fit compared to the stock pads.
Which ZMF pads? Thanks 🙏 always love to hear how to make things sound better

Dec 4, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #6,508 of 10,023
Dec 4, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #6,509 of 10,023
you mean this one?
Gorgeous. Im shocked no one here seems to own the Neoteric Vali. I was in the fence to buy it, but decided I was happy with my 2019 model.
I think the Neoteric Vali got the potential to be one of the best, if not the best, Kennertons hp.
The Vali 2019 is the best dynamic headphone I have ever tried and has nothing to envy to some expensive planars in terms of technical performance, being more fun and engaging than most of them.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #6,510 of 10,023
Haven't posted on Head-Fi for quite a while (not that I ever posted much...), but I did feel like I should offer my brief impressions on the revised (now MKII) GH50 JM Edition I received back from John Massaria a week ago. I'm not good with any of the technical terms I'm afraid, so this will be a very "layman's terms" impression.

The first and most noticeable difference between the original JM edition sound and the mkII mod, IMO, is the depth of the soundstage. To be honest, my immediate reaction was disappointment, as it seemed to have an echo like effect. Allowing my ears to acclimate to it over the past week, the "echo" is still noticeable but not as bothersome as before and the added depth is a very welcome and impressive addition. Width-wise, there is an increase as well, but to a lesser degree. As a whole, the increased soundstage gives a greater sense of space while still retaining the bulk of the forwardness and agressiveness of the GM50's sound.

Bass quantity seems to have increased a notch but is more defined. There's more texture to the bass than prior. As much as I liked the GH50 JM's original sound signature, I did feel the bass could at times be boomy and not defined. Even with the added quantity to the MKII version, the bass doesn't give me that impression at all. IMO, this is due to the increased depth of the soundstage, as the bass is not as forward as before. The one critique I have here is the bass still lacks punch.

I'm not really detecting much change to the midrange. It's every bit as meaty and forward as before. This is the area I was most concerned with, as it was the midrange I liked the most of its original sound. I am very glad that if there is much difference, I certainly am not hearing it (or recalling it).

Treble has a definition bump. It is neither extended nor rolled off from what I can gather. It's easier to pick up the details of the treble than it was before. Again, I believe the majority of the change is due to the increase of width and even more so increase in depth of the soundstage.

Final verdict - I'm very happy to have sent my GH50 to John for his mkii revisions. To me, it's an upgrade in the areas the GM50 may have been lacking without taking anything away from the best elements. Many thanks to John for his first GH50 revision (the JM edition) and his continued pursuit of getting the GM50 to reach it's full potential (mkII). Kudos, John!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back