Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Nov 13, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #6,347 of 10,021
They should be renamed to High Price Cables
Agreed - but High Fidelity Cables are outstanding performers!
I started with a CT1 interconnect, used, on Ebay. Excellent, even better than the Argento interconnects I have.
That whetted my appetite; as many people said the CT1U was substantially better, I got one to try.

The CT1 is expensive.
The CT1U is so expensive, words fail me. OK, I'll try; stupidly so, more costly than many a major component.

And the result?
Well I found the CT1U so good I bought another! I now use one in the headphone system and one in the main system.
All I can add is that the various glowing reviews and user comments on it are accurate.

If, as many here, someone can't believe 'just' a cable can make that much difference, all I can say is don't knock it without trying it.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #6,348 of 10,021
Yep, High Fidelity Cables are stupid expensive and not for the weak-kneed. And yes, it is difficult to explain how they affect the sound that I first heard when, as MikeC wrote above, I added the least expensive CT-1 cable in my speaker-based system. I found myself adding more magnetic doo-dads of all types into my system and it has the same effect on headphone-based rigs as well. My only issue was knowing when to say when as HFC incessantly comes out with better and entirely new products, i.e. increasingly better and more expensive. So if you liken sonic changes in your system to a vector which has both a magnitude and a direction, I have found the improvement in sound to not only have a high magnitude but in a direction that I agree with. And the changes are additive: the more magnets, the better the sound. I found myself in the same position when trying to convince my brother to try some HFC cables in his system as my friend Steve did earlier when trying to convince me that cables could make these types of sonic improvements. To support that point, I rarely pursue other improvements such as other cables, tubes, or tweaks as they don't affect the sound nearly as much as HFC cables do. But I can say that the Mark 2 modification of my Gjallarhorn phones had as large an effect as HFC cables do.

One last note: HFC came out with their Professional Elite line of cables. These cost as much as an exotic sports car. Had I this kind of discretionary income I wonder what decision I would make--Professional Elite cables or exotic sports car, hmmm. One can dream, correct? :L3000:

Nov 13, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #6,349 of 10,021
Yep, High Fidelity Cables are stupid expensive and not for the weak-kneed. And yes, it is difficult to explain how they affect the sound that I first heard when, as MikeC wrote above, I added the least expensive CT-1 cable in my speaker-based system. I found myself adding more magnetic doo-dads of all types into my system and it has the same effect on headphone-based rigs as well. My only issue was knowing when to say when as HFC incessantly comes out with better and entirely new products, i.e. increasingly better and more expensive. So if you liken sonic changes in your system to a vector which has both a magnitude and a direction, I have found the improvement in sound to not only have a high magnitude but in a direction that I agree with. And the changes are additive: the more magnets, the better the sound. I found myself in the same position when trying to convince my brother to try some HFC cables in his system as my friend Steve did earlier when trying to convince me that cables could make these types of sonic improvements. To support that point, I rarely pursue other improvements such as other cables, tubes, or tweaks as they don't affect the sound nearly as much as HFC cables do. But I can say that the Mark 2 modification of my Gjallarhorn phones had as large an effect as HFC cables do.

One last note: HFC came out with their Professional Elite line of cables. These cost as much as an exotic sports car. Had I this kind of discretionary income I wonder what decision I would make--Professional Elite cables or exotic sports car, hmmm. One can dream, correct? :L3000:
Well put, thanks.
I will look into their other magnetic products.

As for the choice ... exotic sports car every time for me; a Lotus!
My present Lotus is a 1976 Elite 4 seater, fabulous car when it's running; awaiting a couple of jobs at present.

Nov 13, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #6,350 of 10,021
@John Massaria I’ve been reading with interest about your ongoing mods to the Gjallarhorn GH50. I’m not sure if it’s been covered, but are your mods possible on the LSA HP-2, or are they exclusive to the Gjallarhorn?

Nov 13, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #6,351 of 10,021
The LSA can’t be upgraded to mk2 status because the back plate is flat like the Magni
The front mesh in only 25% of the upgrade most of it has to do with that back plate and inside the wood frame around the driver chamber

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #6,352 of 10,021
The las can’t be upgraded to mk2 status because the back plate is flat like the Magni
The front mesh in only 25% of the upgrade most of it has to do with that back plate and inside the wood frame around the driver chamber
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification! I sold my Verite Closed recently and was considering trying a closed-back offering from Kennerton. I’m looking at the Rognir and your MK2 modded Gjallarhorn. I don’t know if I can swing the asking price of the Rognir, so I might be leaning towards the MK2.

Nov 16, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #6,359 of 10,021
A950C25E-DEBC-4AF6-ADDD-CFD10E370872.jpeg

IMG_4725.jpg

This is the original GH50JM Mk1 Edition Interior- and what makes the GH50 so unique and so ripe for further modification....
IMG_4724.jpg

Presentation1.jpg

Untitled.jpg
20C0A58A-8CB6-418D-A45C-10FC23926F1E.jpeg
F9962687-3E25-4411-9567-29DB1FDE7C61.jpeg

Why the Kennerton GH50 is so awesome - it's design is ripe for the ultimate transformation - and why the Mk2 will never be a manufactured item -as an example this the back plate that has a tapered to it and inside that tapper is where I remove the cellulose foam and replace it with hard dense carpet in the center and a hard wave nylon pattern by 3M®- and then I top that off with a fiberglass fractal pattern of mesh and then I top that mesh with a resonator which is also non magnetic and that gets topped with more fiberglass fractal patterns of mesh (so two layers of 5 layers each) then that butts up against the driver rear facing magnet center and captures the back pressure sound waves and the non magnetic resonator reflects the higher frequencies back into the oval cup seen here- there are a total of four layers of five layers of separate fractal fiberglass mesh for the sound to slow down and act like a huge interior while still maintaining its exact locations. Pin point locations of the recording to be precise. I know the design is over the top obsessed and nutty looking but the proof is it works...

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #6,360 of 10,021
I can definitely vouch for the vast positive difference in sound John's mods make. It is like buying a much more expensive pair of phones or a more expensive amp. The only greater improvement in sound is using a good earwax cleaner. :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back