Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Nov 18, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #6,376 of 10,023
I have sent you a message. Yes, of course, all offers still stand.
I read the Rognir review by Amir, which is puzzling to say the least, he seems more attached to measurement than sound... I have never heard the Rognir so if I depended on his opinion to guide my purchases, I would have steered clear of the brand. Glad I didn't.. I would love to have him blind listen to a speaker or headphone, write his opinion, then measure without knowing the which product, listen, then write a second summary publish both so we as readers can compare. I'm just curious because a lot of these reviewers claim they hear exactly what is illustrated in the measurement. Then, I read post by you guys (and me) and we love the sound of something he or some others reviewers just panned and ranked poorly.
I'm a musician and a stereophile, I guess I listen differently because I listen to a lot of live music. I love the sound of my Kennerton JME modified by John to level II, and I do not care how they measure because they do the things I enjoy when listening to music. I just sold my Topping A30 Pro which Amir loves in favor of my Flux Labs FA22 (measures inferior to Topping) which is more musical (to my ears) with my LSA Diamond, JME and Grado Hemp. The Topping was very clear though sterile sounding.
Lastly, I just purchased (2) 4 meter hp cables (1 silver and 1 copper, silver mix) from Walter at Underwood, needed the length. Nice cables came in two days couldn't wait the 45 days from Aliexpress...

Nov 18, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #6,377 of 10,023
I read the Rognir review by Amir, which is puzzling to say the least, he seems more attached to measurement than sound... I have never heard the Rognir so if I depended on his opinion to guide my purchases, I would have steered clear of the brand. Glad I didn't.. I would love to have him blind listen to a speaker or headphone, write his opinion, then measure without knowing the which product, listen, then write a second summary publish both so we as readers can compare. I'm just curious because a lot of these reviewers claim they hear exactly what is illustrated in the measurement. Then, I read post by you guys (and me) and we love the sound of something he or some others reviewers just panned and ranked poorly.
I'm a musician and a stereophile, I guess I listen differently because I listen to a lot of live music. I love the sound of my Kennerton JME modified by John to level II, and I do not care how they measure because they do the things I enjoy when listening to music. I just sold my Topping A30 Pro which Amir loves in favor of my Flux Labs FA22 (measures inferior to Topping) which is more musical (to my ears) with my LSA Diamond, JME and Grado Hemp. The Topping was very clear though sterile sounding.
Lastly, I just purchased (2) 4 meter hp cables (1 silver and 1 copper, silver mix) from Walter at Underwood, needed the length. Nice cables came in two days couldn't wait the 45 days from Aliexpress...
Exactly I saw that review and listened to this headphone and I'm done with Amir and everyone in that forum. there is this insane elitist deniers mob mentality over there.

Nov 18, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #6,378 of 10,023
It's a cultist website where zealots subserviently kneel before the measurements of Maestro Amir.

For critical reviews on headphones, it's the last place I'd go to or trust.

Nov 18, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #6,379 of 10,023
The FLA-22 is a great choice for driving Gjallarhorn JM Edition, Grado PS200e. [My favourite s/s headphone amplifier.] !!!

Nov 18, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #6,380 of 10,023

Using measurements to determine whether or not you'd enjoy something for music is just as futile as using measurements to choose the person you want to marry lol.

Nov 18, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #6,383 of 10,023
It's a cultist website where zealots subserviently kneel before the measurements of Maestro Amir. For critical reviews on headphones, it's the last place I'd go to or trust.
ASR = Androids Slicing Reality

Nov 18, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #6,385 of 10,023
If you think about it, measurements are something used to develop a product to its utmost performance and to manufacture a product consistently. Unfortunately there are many parameters in sonic products that cannot be accurately measured like soundstage size or midrange body. So measurements are a means to an end in achieving the best sound and providing a durable product, i.e. a product that meets its specifications, but not the only factor. The reason we all buy audio products is for its sound, not its measurements. I do believe that good engineering usually leads to good sound but there are many exceptions to this rule since most audio products are a mix of art and science. If given a choice I would choose every time a good-sounding product over a good-measuring one. Regarding the dichotomy between objectivists and subjectivists, I follow the old wise tenet: " There is none so blind as he that will not see."

Nov 18, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #6,386 of 10,023
If you think about it, measurements are something used to develop a product to its utmost performance and to manufacture a product consistently. Unfortunately there are many parameters in sonic products that cannot be accurately measured like soundstage size or midrange body. So measurements are a means to an end in achieving the best sound and providing a durable product, i.e. a product that meets its specifications, but not the only factor. The reason we all buy audio products is for its sound, not its measurements. I do believe that good engineering usually leads to good sound but there are many exceptions to this rule since most audio products are a mix of art and science. If given a choice I would choose every time a good-sounding product over a good-measuring one. Regarding the dichotomy between objectivists and subjectivists, I follow the old wise tenet: " There is none so blind as he that will not see."
Don’t forget John Lennon (‘Come Together’, 1969 from Abbey Road): “got to be good looking ‘cause he’s so hard to see…”

Nov 18, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #6,387 of 10,023
Good post!….Measurements and SOTA specifications can only tell one how a piece of Audio gear is electrically functioning.

Nov 19, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #6,389 of 10,023
Hmm, I no longer see the Odin headphone on the Kennerton website. Has it been discontinued? I never hear about the closed-back Magister either.
I think both Odin and Magister had been discontinued for quite a while. The Odin was superseded by the Thridi ('Odin Thridi'), which also disappeared from the website, so presumably discontinued, even though the simple google search for 'Kennerton Thridi' still leads to a page in Kennerton website, and those pages are still accessible.

From the perspective of someone who own both the Odin (the original Mk1 and the Mk2, but not Thridi) and Magister (the original, which then replaced by a replacement pair by local dealer after a plastic deterioration), Kennerton has improved a lot since then. The build quality, craftsmanship, and comfortability of their recent products simply levels above those original headphones.

Nov 19, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #6,390 of 10,023
Didn't think I would one day saying this .... but THIS "Starry Night Thror Novel" is my end-game, literally.
I'm done with finding headphones; at least for another long while (except things that already pre-ordered or promised).

DSC_8947.jpg

DSC_8948.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back