Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Nov 21, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #6,406 of 10,023

Michael De Lazzer keeps ranting about the GH50 again. He starts with a "huge issue" of having 7 different versions of the same model which is very confusing to him. He claims there are 4 different base models and 3 limited versions. He calls this problem "modelitis". Another thing he is confused about is the horn terminology because he thought of a horn-shape driver instead of a horn-shape headphone housing. Among other negatives, once again, he talks about a poor design of the microphonic and resonating headband.

He says he likes the driver, but he thinks the headphone becomes fatiguing after long listening sessions. Compared to the HD820, he finds the bass "not tight at all" and with a lot of bloat whereas the HD820's bass is more controlled. Unlike the HD820, he thinks the GH50 cannot deal with any complex music. Overall, he thinks the GH50 is overpriced for what it offers and that other major brand headphones from the same price range outperform it. And this includes the aforementioned Sennheiser HD820 of course.

Does anyone agree with any of this? Does anyone else find the GH50 fatiguing after long listening sessions? I had a chance to audition it only for a short time. But I don't own it yet. So I can't really comment on this.

About the horn confusion, he says he read "horn driver" on the box. I can see that could be misleading. But does it really say "horn driver" on the box? Can anyone confirm this? On the Kennerton website, it says "horn headphones" or "horn-type headphones" everywhere. So is he making it up about the "horn driver" written on the box?

I can understand the microphonic headband can be an issue. But I believe this should be addressed by the headband cover which should probably come included with this headband type. What I don't understand is why the reviewer blames the build quality because of this throughout the video. I mean maybe he could say it's not well thought through design, but what does it have to do with the build quality? What am I missing here?

Speaking of the build quality, when praising the build quality of the HD820 in the same video, he asks "does it look like a slap-together headphone?" I wonder if this is supposed to indirectly imply that the GH50 is a slap-together headphone.

Technically, the GH50 has two base versions with different colors and wood options. I really don't understand what could be so confusing about that and why anyone would think it's a huge issue. But he did admit that it's not easy to live in his head.

In general, I don't like reviews that only praise products. I appreciate honest and unbiased reviewers that are not afraid to talk about the product real cons. Objective information is what I look for in these reviews. But this "modelitis" problem... It's just sheer nitpicking.

Having raised 4 boys, I learned that whenever one or more of them were whining and looking for attention, the best method for dealing with them in this condition was to ignore them. They quickly learned that whining and attention-seeking wouldn't work and they simply went away.

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #6,408 of 10,023
It’s also funny the Sennheiser 820 is the most inconsistently reviewed headphones on the market. Some guys love Crinacle he ranks them as a a class E one of the worse... youtube search reviews on them, that’s why personal judgement is your best option. Headphone build quality can’t be judged on microphonics in the headband alone. i know the oddities you said he noticed in the bass do not show up in the JME II. I think his videos from what I see are just entertainment, I wouldn’t take them serious or base any buying decisions on them. Has he ever published a hearing test? How about his knowledge of how real instruments sound, his sense of tone or rhythm… you know some people are tone deaf. Not defending Kennerton just saying, anyone can write a review based on their hearing or personal biases doesn’t mean it’s accurate.

Nov 21, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #6,410 of 10,023
I do not have experience with the FA-10 and the FA-12. The FA-22 is the only s/s headphone amplifier that I own; the other five h/p/a are hybrid tube / OTC tube / OTL tube. Within thirty minutes of listening, after a three-day break-in, the FA-22 dethroned the Violectric V280 as my looong-standing favourite s/s h/p/a. Does this help?
Could you share your experiences with the V 280 vs FA-22?

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #6,411 of 10,023
Could you share your experiences with the V 280 vs FA-22?
Tonally, I thought that the FA-22 and V280 were similar. The V280 was a touch thicker across the spectrum. To me, the FA-22 had “faster reflexes” than the V280. The FA-22 retrieved the deepest layers in a recording more easily than did the V280. This allowed for the FA-22 to convey all of the ambience / reverberation if in a recording. Lastly, I felt that voices reproduced through the FA-22 were somewhat truer to life than through the V280.

Nov 21, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #6,415 of 10,023
I know Val always takes all his headphones seriously so he values real opinions and wants all of his gear to please - there is always room for improvement as any great business owner like him wants to achieve- as far as the reviewer Michael de Lazzer - he’s a producer and award winning editor and knows music like few reviewers do- I personally respect his input -however about colors and wood variety's - if everyone had the same opinion on things we all would drive a FORD BLACK model T and nothing else- and companies like ZMF would only have one color one wood designs for all their headphones- what a boring world that would be- he missed the whole point of these special woods and I think he missed the mark that the Kennerton lines are customized for each buyer if they want like a bespoke suit not stamped out on some assembly line - they are hand crafted heirloom quality / they are very much like my philosophy for life in general- “like me, they dare to be different- not born to fit in but rather to stand up and out “

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #6,416 of 10,023
Hi Everyone, I recently bought a Rognir from another head-fier and although I am very impressed with how open it sounds its just too bass-light for me. Admittedly I have not read this whole thread but I'm trying to learn how to determine if this particular Rognir is the 'bassier' version or not. Any ideas on that?
Also, is there a mod out there that could beef it up?
Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #6,417 of 10,023
Hi Everyone, I recently bought a Rognir from another head-fier and although I am very impressed with how open it sounds its just too bass-light for me. Admittedly I have not read this whole thread but I'm trying to learn how to determine if this particular Rognir is the 'bassier' version or not. Any ideas on that?
Also, is there a mod out there that could beef it up?
Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Earpads and eq are your best friends for changing bass imo

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #6,418 of 10,023
Earpads and eq are your best friends for changing bass imo

boost-bass-5.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back