Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Nov 2, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #6,271 of 10,116
Hi.

I have owned both the Sennheiser HD 600 and HD 650 (the older versions) and now the HD 560S (in addition to my son's Thror and my Thekk, as well as many other Kennerton headphones).

It's hard to be affirmative, 100%, because it's not a direct comparison, but from auditory memory, I prefer the HD 560S to the HD 650 (old version, with old pads) for its better tonal balance, in particular the highs, more extended and balanced.
If there is a technical difference between these two headphones, well, it must be very small; but, for me, the better tonality of the HD 560S, for the respect of the timbres, takes largely the upper hand.

HD560S-768x348.jpg

HD650-S2-Worn-pads-768x348.jpg

Otherwise, I also prefer the HD 560S to the HD 600, a little too present (even shouting) in the high medium, (at 3 KHz) (at least for the old version).

Otherwise, compared to the HD 660S, you can read this very nice comparison (in French), after google translate, here :https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post180470501.html#p180470501

HD660S-768x345.jpg

PS: curiously, the HD 660S seems to have, according to these FR curves from Crinacle, a tone closer to the Kennerton Thror than to the HD560S.

Thror-Bog-Oak-768x348.jpg

The Thror lacks a bit of bass (in SPL) and even more sub-bass (compared to the HD560S), and this is audible; however, qualitatively speaking, the Thror's bass is technically superior (more accurate and better textured) than the Sennheiser HD 560S.

EDIT:

Crinacle has done a good review of the HD 560S, which he also compares to other Sennheiser headphones (HD600-650-800 and 660S), both on tonality and technicality criteria.

https://crinacle.com/2020/11/06/sennheiser-hd560s-review-the-evolved-500/

The evaluation of the HD 560S is quite good.

Otherwise, Crinacle gives a (subjective) ranking between these Sennheiser headphones; I agree with them in part (except for the HD600, as I keep a small preference for the HD 560S, for the reason mentioned a little earlier in this post).
Thanks. I got curious because I saw your other post where you compared the HD 650 with the Thror about a year ago. So I got under the impression that you thought the Thror was superior to the HD 650 while ranking the HD 560S above these two even though it's much cheaper.

Nov 2, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #6,272 of 10,116
Thanks. I got curious because I saw your other post where you compared the HD 650 with the Thror about a year ago. So I got under the impression that you thought the Thror was superior to the HD 650 while ranking the HD 560S above these two even though it's much cheaper.

Hey guys, you have to compare what is comparable.

The comparison made of the HD 650 (of my mother-in-law), an old model of the HD 650, during my Christmas vacations, in Paris, with the Thror of my son, was made on a laptop and a small headphone amp (Solid States) at 200 Euros, the Matrix M-Stage, while listening to YouTube videos (compressed).

The comparison I made of the HD 560S with the Thror (and the Thekk), at my home, a few days ago, was made, on the one hand on the headphone jack of my gamer PC, with a sound a little unbalanced in the treble and a little thin of the HD 560S (versus Thror and Thekk), and on the other hand, with a high-end Hi-Fi configuration: Audiomat high-end dac and high-end (powerful) tube amp (the Viva 2A3).
In this last configuration, the HD 560S proved to be really excellent (very good synergy with the tube amp) on all the criteria listed during this comparison (see my previous posts), and does as well as the Thror (and the Thekk) except for the bass quality, where the Thror and the Thekk beats it for bass definition and texture, and also bass impact ; while the HD 560S beats them for overall tonal balance (better tonality) (at least between 40 Hz and 4000 Hz) with a superior (and better) reproduction of the vocal timbres (male and female) than the Thror and the Thekk. That's what we can say, if you read my posts carefully.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #6,273 of 10,116
from personal messages ... updated news from above post I made earlier about GH50JM Edition Mk2
happy.png

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #6,274 of 10,116
Hey guys, thinking of getting the new Kennerton Magni as my next purchase.

Could anybody please compare these to my favorite the D7200 and the D9200 from Denon?

If you have / had the chance to compare these please let me know. Thx

Nov 2, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #6,275 of 10,116
Hey guys, thinking of getting the new Kennerton Magni as my next purchase.

Could anybody please compare these to my favorite the D7200 and the D9200 from Denon?

If you have / had the chance to compare these please let me know. Thx
Maybe these links can help:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kennerton-magni-vs-gjallarhorn.24462/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...parisons-reviews.939901/page-63#post-15990010

It would not be a direct comparison. But you would compare them through the Gjallarhorn so to speak.

Nov 2, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #6,276 of 10,116
Hey guys, you have to compare what is comparable.

The comparison made of the HD 650 (of my mother-in-law), an old model of the HD 650, during my Christmas vacations, in Paris, with the Thror of my son, was made on a laptop and a small headphone amp (Solid States) at 200 Euros, the Matrix M-Stage, while listening to YouTube videos (compressed).

The comparison I made of the HD 560S with the Thror (and the Thekk), at my home, a few days ago, was made, on the one hand on the headphone jack of my gamer PC, with a sound a little unbalanced in the treble and a little thin of the HD 560S (versus Thror and Thekk), and on the other hand, with a high-end Hi-Fi configuration: Audiomat high-end dac and high-end (powerful) tube amp (the Viva 2A3).
In this last configuration, the HD 560S proved to be really excellent (very good synergy with the tube amp) on all the criteria listed during this comparison (see my previous posts), and does as well as the Thror (and the Thekk) except for the bass quality, where the Thror and the Thekk beats it for bass definition and texture, and also bass impact ; while the HD 560S beats them for overall tonal balance (better tonality) (at least between 40 Hz and 4000 Hz) with a superior (and better) reproduction of the vocal timbres (male and female) than the Thror and the Thekk. That's what we can say, if you read my posts carefully.

Try Hifiman Sundara (350 eur) : more technical and « fun » than HD560s, maybe a bit less natural or smooth on vocals, you also get that planar taste.

I even wonder why spent fortune on headphones, I was not convinced by HE1000 v2 and HD800s.

As a note I would never imagined such Kennerton critics from you!

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #6,277 of 10,116
As a note I would never imagined such Kennerton critics from you!
Hi.

I'm not criticizing the qualities of Kennerton headphones already purchased (at the time, as a fan of the brand).

Now that I'm not a fan of the Kennerton brand anymore, I'll grant you that I might criticize the weight and the discomfort of wearing the Odin mk1, with the original pads (stiff as bricks) and the original suspension headband (too thin, not wide enough and too long), but not the sound of the Odin, very addictive.

No, now that I'm not a fan anymore, and let's say, that I'm more realistic, the main criticism I would make to the Kennerton headphones (but also to all the other headphones, of other brands, let's say of a certain price (> 2 K)), well, it's justly the price.

They are too expensive, and I think, that if I was very close to my money, and if I had to buy again headphones in 2021, well, I will find very probably cheaper than the headphones already bought (and they are unfortunately (for my wallet) numerous, and costing for mostly more than 2 K).

As for planar headphones in 2021, well, the planar LSA headphones "made by Kennerton" seem to me very attractive (for the presentation/quality/price ratio), sharing for the most part the components of the Kennerton headphones which we will say are equivalent, even if they are not completely so (for the aesthetics and the sound settings) ; otherwise, your Sundara planar headphones, seems on paper very interesting; it is very well rated by Crinacle (we should listen to it); finally, the HD 560S freshly acquired, is for my ear an excellent open headphone, it is true coupled with my high end Viva2A3 tube amp (excellent marriage).
It is (the HD 560S) my favorite Sennheiser headphone, in front of the HD 650 (a little soft and veiled), in front of the HD 600, a little too present on the high-medium at 3 KHz, and lacking a little of bass, and in front of the HD 800 (stock), whose famous peak in the treble (6 KHz) annoys me, as well as its lack of bass (in comparison with this peak in the treble).

The HD 560S will be complementary to my Thekk (more colored and typed, with better bass, more present for the bass and mid-bass and better textured, and a lesser presence in the upper-midrange and the treble, giving to the Thekk a more relaxing listening, even if less right, tonally speaking, than the HD 560S). :)

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #6,279 of 10,116
It's good to see you back Eric :) Many of us have appreciated your enthusiasm and enjoyed your informative posts, for a number of years? now. I'm sorry to hear about your purchasing complaints. May you restore some harmony/find some peace with the business again. Although for me admittedly I'm not on this site a lot anymore, as I'm trying to get off the addictive audio merry-go-round and just enjoy what I have for a while, and cure myself of the proverbial "audiophilia nervosa." I still enjoy my Thekk for more refined music, and my Vali for when I want to rock out. But lately I've been spending more time with the HE1000SE, the LCD4, and the Empyrean. It's still great to keep abreast of all the exciting things in audio though...Eh, who am I kidding? This place is like the "Hotel California"--- "You can check out any time you'd like, but you can never leave!..." :wink:

Nov 3, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #6,280 of 10,116
Not posting anything here a while .... as my last couple months had been busy .... with this ....

My latest project with Valentin, for my own birthday present (which was yesterday).

"Starry Night Thror Novel"
Stabilized Karelian Birch, inspired by Vincent van Gogh's Starry Night painting(s).

DSC_8918.jpg

DSC_8920.jpg

DSC_8922.jpg

DSC_8929.jpg

For references, here are the paintings

1920px-Van_Gogh_-_Starry_Night_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

1552px-Vincent_van_Gogh_-_Starry_Night_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

And finally, the frequency response, specifically tuned to my description of how I like it to sound.
Green = this pair
Yellow = original Thror

fa25647a-1b06-473c-bf93-a8d8070ad5a6.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #6,281 of 10,116
Fantastic, Dave. :)

This "Starry Night Thror Novel" is magnificent ; a veritable work of art.

Knowing the Thror (standard) and Thekk very well, from the FR curves presented from this Thror Novel Custom versus Thror (standard), well, I think it is not (anymore) necessary to buy a Thekk .
This Thror Novel Custom should advantageously replace it.

Happy birthday, Dave. :)

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #6,282 of 10,116
Fantastic, Dave. :)

This "Starry Night Thror Novel" is magnificent ; a veritable work of art.

Knowing the Thror (standard) and Thekk very well, from the FR curves presented from this Thror Novel Custom versus Thror (standard), well, I think it is not (anymore) necessary to buy a Thekk .
This Thror Novel Custom should advantageously replace it.
Thanks, Eric. That's pretty much one of the objectives for this tuning.

Nov 3, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #6,283 of 10,116
So in terms of the Version 1 tuning and Version 2 of the Rognir, is the Version 2 some sort of overall improvement in the HP's design? Or just a different sound signature, with Version 1 being more bass and version 2 emphasizing mids/highs?

Nov 4, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #6,284 of 10,116
Hi everybody, I just bought a second-hand Magni V3, and I really like it, the sound is quite bombastic, but what I noticed after I disassembled the shells left me puzzled. Turns out that Kennerton modifies its old Magni units and sells them as V3. My V3 has old gen. shells with glass plates on which drivers sit, whereas real V3 shells are full wood. Kennertons admitted that, and said it was ok ("We converted all our remaining Magnis into V3 - this is done by changing the damping type and materials"), but to me, it doesn't feel ok, it actually feels questionable. Yes, the sound characteristics might be as in the real V3, but some of us still get old shells that are not as nice as new ones. What do you guys think about it? See attached picture, my V3 has Magni 2 shell.
Magni.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #6,285 of 10,116
Hi everybody, I just bought a second-hand Magni V3, and I really like it, the sound is quite bombastic, but what I noticed after I disassembled the shells left me puzzled. Turns out that Kennerton modifies its old Magni units and sells them as V3. My V3 has old gen. shells with glass plates on which drivers sit, whereas real V3 shells are full wood. Kennertons admitted that, and said it was ok ("We converted all our remaining Magnis into V3 - this is done by changing the damping type and materials"), but to me, it doesn't feel ok, it actually feels questionable. Yes, the sound characteristics might be as in the real V3, but some of us still get old shells that are not as nice as new ones. What do you guys think about it? See attached picture, my V3 has Magni 2 shell.
Magni.jpg

This is very interesting, indeed! Thank you for posting as I am aiming to get these as well. My view is: if they are aware of this and the sound is the same plus you purchased them second-hand then this should be ok. But if I am aiming to purchase brand new Magni then I would not be ok with it.
I would probably force them to replace them or to refund the money. Your model should not be V3 but V2.5.
They should have definitely marked them and at least sell with discount.

This means I will have to open them when I get mine.

Take a lesson from this... never open headphones that sound good :) (joking)

I have to admin the V3 shells made form wood are looking so good. Its hard to claim that the sound is the same but I am sure the difference is probably not recognizable by human ear.

Anyway, how is the sound other then bombastic? Can you perhaps compare them to something? Anything you don't like in terms of sound? How are the bass, mids, highs?
I cant wait to get my hands on them.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back