Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Oct 31, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #6,242 of 6,937

duranxv

500+ Head-Fier
What’s best tuning for rognir bass heavy vs standard ? Does going bass heavy tuning do anything to mids or treble ? My preferred music is rock

You can never have too much bass :)

What appeals to me about the Rognir over the DCA Stealth so far is that you can actually choose a bass-oriented tuning. Has anyone else been able to pit those two headphones against each other?

Nov 1, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #6,243 of 6,937

eric65

Headphoneus Supremus
@eric65 I think will be interesting your mid-fi to high end headphones comparison (HD 560 S with Thekk or Thror), obviusly maybe not in this thread :wink:

I will do it.

The HD560S will be complementary to my Thekk (of more colorful tonal response), above all for home cinema listening of my recorded live concerts (like Nightwish).
About Nightwish, I have 2 concert tickets in France, in Nîmes, for July 2, 2022. I am looking forward to this date. :)

Hi @Terriero.

The Sennheiser HD 560S is a great headphones, very great. :)

I am not disappointed at all with this open headphones; its price is ridiculously low (less than 200 Euros incl. VAT); it is efficient (tonally and technically speaking) and very versatile.
It excels with a (very good) tube amp, for Hi-fi and also home cinema used, and is formidable (for the opponent) as a competitive gamer headset.

One of the best open (full-size) headphones, all categories combined, that i tried.

See also (more comments) in the French forum, here.
https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post180788442.html#p180788442

21103009381223553817645093.jpg

21103009381223553817645092.jpg

21110109141223553817648527.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #6,244 of 6,937

Nostoi

Headphoneus Supremus
You can never have too much bass :)

What appeals to me about the Rognir over the DCA Stealth so far is that you can actually choose a bass-oriented tuning. Has anyone else been able to pit those two headphones against each other?
As has been mentioned before, if you're in any sense bass oriented, the Stealth are 100% not for you. Even the Stealth fans will admit that their strong point is flat/neutral signature, which is not intended to be overly dynamic. Maybe you could ram the 60hz up by about 6db, but otherwise ain't no bass in dat house.

Nov 1, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #6,245 of 6,937

trigeger

New Head-Fier
Hi @Terriero.

The Sennheiser HD 560S is a great headphones, very great. :)

I'm not really disappointed with this open headphones; its price is ridiculously low (less than 200 Euros incl. VAT); it is efficient (tonally and technically speaking) and very versatile.
It excels with a (very good) tube amp, for Hi-fi and also home cinema used, and is formidable (for the opponent) as a competitive gamer headset.

One of the best open (full-size) headphones, all categories combined, that i tried.

See also (more comments) in the French forum, here.
https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post180788442.html#p180788442

21103009381223553817645093.jpg

21103009381223553817645092.jpg

21110109141223553817648527.jpg
Nice! But when I tried 560S it had too big clamp force for me (and due to the plastic headband I couldn't bend it to adjust), also bass in one-to-one comparison with the HD 800 S was lacking "sharpness" and impact.
They say Audio-Technica R70X is also good, black and has even lower weight of 210 g.

P.S. I'm currently listening via the Panasonic RP-HT010 headphones (60 g), and the sound is quite lovely (especially after some EQ) considering the rediculously low price of the hp. Is high-end even needed... )

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #6,247 of 6,937

eric65

Headphoneus Supremus
Thanks for your impressions, @eric65. Are them somewhat comparable to your Kennertons?

Yes, it is (comparable), the HD 560S versus Kennerton Thror and Thekk.

For the sound stage (quite spacious and open).

For the speed (of the drums).

For the listening pleasure (especially with the tube amp, which is very well matched with the HD 560S).

For the definition of the middle and high frequencies.

For the wearing comfort (lighter, but with a little more clamping for the HD 560S).

It is however inferior to the Kennerton planar for bass precision and texture; but the HD 560S goes a little lower in the sub bass, in level SPL, than the two Kennerton planars ; it's a good headphone for Home Cinema (and also for gaming).

The amount of bass of the HD 560S is intermediate between the Thror and the Thekk, closer to the Thror than to the Thekk, but as already said, the quality of the bass (definition and texture is better with the Kennertons). The Kennertons have a little more impact.

Overall, the HD 560S is of the same technical level as the Thekk and the Thor, except for the quality of the bass where it is less precise and detailed.
So, in total, on the criterion of technicality, taking into account the low frequencies, we can say that the two Kennerton planar are slightly above the Sennheiser HD 560S

The tonal balance is however better (superior) on the HD 560S versus the Thror/Thekk: both planars lack in SPL a bit in lower treble (and sub bass); voices are well balanced and tonally more accurate with the HD 560S versus Thror/Thekk; voices are warmer, but less tonally accurate (as they are more colored) in the low-midrange (in surplus) (especially with the Thekk), and in the high-midrange low-high (in deficit) (especially with the Thror).

So on the criterion of the tonality (respect of the timbres and tonal balance), well the HD 560S is superior to the two Kennerton planar, and thus, more versatile to use.

In short, the HD 560S is quite comparable to my two Kennerton planar, at least in technicality (slightly less good), and in tonality (better, or at least, according to the tastes of each one, different, or even complementary to these two planar headphones according to what we look for as tonality and that we pay attention, or not, to the respect of the timbres).

Finally, an obvious fact, the two Kennerton planar are not comparable to the HD560S for:
The price
The beauty and the originality.
The quality of the materials used (precious wood, metal, leather, versus (good) plastics).

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #6,248 of 6,937

eric65

Headphoneus Supremus
Nice! But when I tried 560S it had too big clamp force for me (and due to the plastic headband I couldn't bend it to adjust), also bass in one-to-one comparison with the HD 800 S was lacking "sharpness" and impact.
Hi.

I think I've found an empirical solution to the somewhat strong base clamping of the HD 560S (for my big head).

I softened (but did not melt) the middle of the plastic hoop with a hair dryer, in a position slightly wider than my head.

Once the plastic cooled, well, it seems to me that the clamping force of the HD560S decreased, to become very acceptable.

21110109460623553817650245.jpg

Nov 1, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #6,249 of 6,937

wazzupi

Headphoneus Supremus

For the listening pleasure (especially with the tube amp, which is very well matched with the HD 560S).

For the wearing comfort (lighter, but with a little more clamping for the HD 560S).

It is however inferior to the Kennerton planar for bass precision and texture; but the HD 560S goes a little lower in the sub bass, in level SPL, than the two Kennerton planars ; it's a good headphone for Home Cinema (and also for gaming).

The amount of bass of the HD 560S is intermediate between the Thror and the Thekk, closer to the Thror than to the Thekk, but as already said, the quality of the bass (definition and texture is better with the Kennertons). The Kennertons have a little more impact.

Overall, the HD 560S is of the same technical level as the Thekk and the Thor, except for the quality of the bass where it is less precise and detailed.
So, in total, on the criterion of technicality, taking into account the low frequencies, we can say that the two Kennerton planar are slightly above the Sennheiser HD 560S

The tonal balance is however better (superior) on the HD 560S versus the Thror/Thekk: both planars lack in SPL a bit in lower treble (and sub bass); voices are well balanced and tonally more accurate with the HD 560S versus Thror/Thekk; voices are warmer, but less tonally accurate (as they are more colored) in the low-midrange (in surplus) (especially with the Thekk), and in the high-midrange low-high (in deficit) (especially with the Thror).

So on the criterion of the tonality (respect of the timbres and tonal balance), well the HD 560S is superior to the two Kennerton planar, and thus, more versatile to use.

In short, the HD 560S is quite comparable to my two Kennerton planar, at least in technicality (slightly less good), and in tonality (better, or at least, according to the tastes of each one, different, or even complementary to these two planar headphones according to what we look for as tonality and that we pay attention, or not, to the respect of the timbres).

Finally, an obvious fact, the two Kennerton planar are not comparable to the HD560S for:
The price
The quality of the materials used (precious wood, metal, leather, versus (good) plastics).
I've owned the 560s it's bottom tier headphone in everything. I can't tell if you're saying Kennerton headphones are garbage or you dont offer any sort of real credibility after this post.

Nov 1, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #6,251 of 6,937

jonathan c

Headphoneus Supremus
Thror is one of my favorites, it is really good for classical music, but it is not good at demonstratinging emotions
By inference, then, there are no demonstrable emotions in classical music…? 🤔😒

Nov 1, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #6,252 of 6,937

duranxv

500+ Head-Fier
As has been mentioned before, if you're in any sense bass oriented, the Stealth are 100% not for you. Even the Stealth fans will admit that their strong point is flat/neutral signature, which is not intended to be overly dynamic. Maybe you could ram the 60hz up by about 6db, but otherwise ain't no bass in dat house.

How well does Rognir respond to EQ?

Nov 1, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #6,254 of 6,937

kgbalien

Head-Fier

The price
How is HD 560S compared with HD 650? Do you find HD 560S better than HD 650?

Nov 2, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #6,255 of 6,937

Kammerat Rebekka

1000+ Head-Fier
I've owned the 560s it's bottom tier headphone in everything. I can't tell if you're saying Kennerton headphones are garbage or you dont offer any sort of real credibility after this post.
He actually gained a lot of credibility with me. People are way too caught up on price and appearance that they tend to forget about the actual sound quality.
I have yet to hear a Kennerton headphone that doesn’t get it’s arse handed to it by something that costs far less. I know this is not what anyone wants to hear in here as there is and has always been an overwhelming positive vibe..for good and bad.

Users who are viewing this thread