Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
May 13, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #4,981 of 10,015
Genius to fall asleep to your tape last night
Sounds go through muscles
These abstract worthless movements
Move, move, move, move, move
They start off as cells
That haven't been touched before
These cells are virgins
My headphones
They saved my life

Your tape
It lulled me to sleep, to sleep, to sleep
Nothing will be the same
I'm asleep
I'm fast asleep
I like this resonance
It elevates me

I don't recognize myself
This is very interesting
My headphones
They saved my life
Your tape
I'm fast asleep now
You're still listening
I'm fast asleep, I'm asleep
My headphones
They saved, saved my life
Your tape

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #4,983 of 10,015
May 15, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #4,985 of 10,015
Not too in-depth.

A tad, smidge dark -- not glossed over in any way, not muddied in any way, absolutely resolving but also very smooth. Treble extension is quite nice, very natural.
Mids are also quite clear, not rich, not recessed.

Driver resolve is THERE voicing is spot-on special.

Bass presentation is big, punchy, aggressive, extended and ever-present. Dare I say better than TC but perhaps not to the same level of quantity-presence.

No mud, no bloom, no transition blur or issue with continuity.

Overall presentation feels BIG and BAD, like the TC more than establish your point of reference Verite, Susvara. It's aggressive, it feels like attempted speaker-rendition.

Big, aggressive, present, clean, non-fatiguing.

Again, the tuning levels the Rognir aside from its absolute technical competency.

May 15, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #4,986 of 10,015
Not too in-depth.

A tad, smidge dark -- not glossed over in any way, not muddied in any way, absolutely resolving but also very smooth. Treble extension is quite nice, very natural.

Bass presentation is big, punchy, aggressive, extended and ever-present. Dare I say better than TC but perhaps not to the same level of quantity-presence.

Overall presentation feels BIG and BAD, like the TC more than establish your point of reference Verite, Susvara. It's aggressive, it feels like attempted speaker-rendition.

Again, the tuning levels the Rognir aside from its absolute technical competency.

11491771.jpg

Hi.

Beautiful your Rögnir!

One question: is this first listening of your Rögnir done with the stock (non-perforated) earpads?

Wouldn't the sound balance, especially for the voices, and the naturalness of the voices be better with the alternative microperforated pads (delivered with your Rögnir) ?

Advantage/disadvantage of microperforated alternative earpads versus stock earpads (not perforated)?

If you have the time to do this comparison, even if it's just a quick one, it would be very nice. :)

May 15, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #4,988 of 10,015
Not too in-depth.

This.

This is pretty much how I would describe the Rognir. I think it’s spot-on.

May 15, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #4,989 of 10,015
I mentioned that a little bit in my impression.

tldr; stock pads all the way for me. the perforated neutralize the sound too much.
Hi Dave.

Yes, I had already read your first listening impressions. :)

If not, would you agree that the Rögnir, with its stock pads, behaves a bit like the Abyss (see the Abyss TC) with a somewhat V-shaped sound signature and with a lot of punch in the bass, while your Wodan 2021 would give a more balanced sound signature (like my Thekk and even better the Thror, for tonal balance) (i.e. more neutral, less atenuated in the mids).
So in a way, the Wodan 2021 could be a complementary listening to the Rögnir and its stock pads, which would give, by using these two planar headphones, open and closed-back (complementary? ), more listening possibilities according to the style of music listened to and what one seeks in each style of music listened to.

May 15, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #4,990 of 10,015
Mine arrived and so excited.
13058969-9DBC-4396-8D9F-794FD2B0FD05.jpeg

Mine is bog oak casing. Not sure how much of sound difference per wood material, but my brief first impression was LCD4 sound stage minus lows. i think definitely close to open end headphones for sure, but still closed end sound(duh, obvious).
60C25A05-D01B-436C-B5FB-4391032803B7.jpeg
Matches well with my cowhide carpet.
for some reason, this wood reminds me of WinterSoldier.
I have only tried Rognir with tidal from my phone via Hugo2.
I cannot wait to try these with Woo Audio WA33 Elite, Chord DAVE, Chord Blu MKII with source streaming from Aurender N20.
9A9D28EC-FC49-41CA-A055-AE3111BBEE35.jpeg

these come with balanced 4 pin as well.
Esthetic-wise, all heart for Rognir.

May 15, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #4,991 of 10,015
Humble opinion on couple of Kennerton headphones on starmap.
Kennerton_en.png

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #4,992 of 10,015
Humple opinion on couple of Kennerton headphones on starmap.
Hi.

Thanks for this map.

For my 55 year old ears, the Thekk is not bright, it is simply a little more fleshy (with more sound density) than the Thror in the midrange and bass.
For me, it is on par with the Thror on the technicality criterion (with even better aeration than the Thror), for speed, resolution.
The Thekk should be on the same line as the Thror, that of the Super flagship, but this is only my point of view.
(Nb: Pierre Paya prefers the Thekk to the Thror, and even to the Wodan 2021 in his last comparative videos, the one of the Wodan 2021 and the one of the Thekk).

EDIT: also read my post at this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headphones-starmap.953011/#post-16354978

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #4,993 of 10,015
For my 55 year old ears, the Thekk is not bright, it is simply a little more fleshy (with more sound density) than the Thror in the midrange and bass.
Thekk - controversal headphones. For Kennertons also, I beleive. In one of interviews their representative called Thekk's sound "тёмный, массивный" - "dark, massive" and in a later discussion in Kennerton thread on dastereo.ru confirmed this (as subjective opinion of him and other members of Kennerton team). I find such definition of Thekk's sound signature confusing (it reminds me LCD-2, RAD-0, not Thekk). But if it communicates for their manufacturer better or helps to find more exact position for Thekk in Kennerton product range - why not.

PS Starmap - opinion based on my 45 years old ears ))

May 15, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #4,994 of 10,015
Thekk - controversal headphones. For Kennertons also, I beleive. In one of interviews their representative called Thekk's sound "тёмный, массивный" - "dark, massive" and in a later discussion in Kennerton thread on dastereo.ru confirmed this (as subjective opinion of him and other members of Kennerton team). I find such definition of Thekk's sound signature confusing (it reminds me LCD-2, RAD-0, not Thekk). But if it communicates for their manufacturer better or helps to find more exact position for Thekk in Kennerton product range - why not.

PS Starmap - opinion based on my 45 years old ears ))
Yeah when I read "dark, massive" I immediately thought about LCD like Sound character (and this would be a major selling point for me)
However lots of reading later I came to the conclusion that it's only Dark and massive compared to other Kennertons and not dark and massive per se

May 15, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #4,995 of 10,015
Yeah when I read "dark, massive" I immediately thought about LCD like Sound character (and this would be a major selling point for me)
However lots of reading later I came to the conclusion that it's only Dark and massive compared to other Kennertons and not dark and massive per se
BTW - great idea, LCD-like-Odins in atracite-black wood would be dark-massive-amazing for the ear and for the eye! ))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back